Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

1 hour ago, tango said:

Football Fanatic mentioned it in the Sectional 24 thread. I have not seen any film myself. It looks like Vera was a non-factor in the game. Was he injured? I thought Burnett left with an injury?  

Not certain about Burnett.  I listened to the broadcast and don't recall anything being mentioned about an injury.  Vera as a non-factor was a big surprise to me too.  He was the difference against MD.  Offense had much better rhythm with him at QB and his threat to run changed the game.  Kept thinking he was going to come in at any pt in the 2nd half to give RHS a boost.  Reitz had a couple of HUGE plays down the stretch but ran out of time.

Glad to hear folks talking about the extra point attempt being tipped.  Spread the word...   It would be a difficult thing to live down on the Hill if you were the one who muffed a kick and lost the game back in 2022...   Some Big Blue fans can be rather unforgiving and unkind, at least in my 50+ years of dealing with them.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Not certain about Burnett.  I listened to the broadcast and don't recall anything being mentioned about an injury.  Vera as a non-factor was a big surprise to me too.  He was the difference against MD.  Offense had much better rhythm with him at QB and his threat to run changed the game.  Kept thinking he was going to come in at any pt in the 2nd half to give RHS a boost.  Reitz had a couple of HUGE plays down the stretch but ran out of time.

Glad to hear folks talking about the extra point attempt being tipped.  Spread the word...   It would be a difficult thing to live down on the Hill if you were the one who muffed a kick and lost the game back in 2022...   Some Big Blue fans can be rather unforgiving and unkind, at least in my 50+ years of dealing with them.  

I've seen some chatter on Facebook from the Reitz faithful that Boon-vegas was offsides on the XP.  Saw a video from behind the kicker.  Kid timed the snap and nobody on the right side of the Reitz line even attempted to block him.  He was definitely moving forward before the snap, but you can't tell how far off the line he was from the angle of the video.  Anyway, lots of the chatter was how this cost them the game.  But more reasonable Reitz fans were quick to claim that there were probably 10 other plays that contributed to the loss and that they never should have been in that position to start with.

15 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Burnett left the game early 2nd half and did not return. I too was surprised Vera was not used more on offense. Either at QB or out of the slot. He's one of those players that can make magic happen no matter how he touches the ball. Their offense really struggled to get drives going at times. Burnett was running well until the injury, and they completed some deep balls, but that's about it. 

Even if it wasn't tipped, I don't know how you can be too upset with a 16-17 year old kid for missing an XP in a high pressure playoff situation like that. Especially since he's been a great kicker for them the past few years. But again, that's why I always lean toward going for the win there on the road, especially if you have some good 2pt plays up your sleeve. But, what do I know, and hindsight vision is unfair.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:15 PM, TigerFan20 said:

Only 3 SIAC teams left!

Castle

Memorial

Mater Dei

Overall that is a good showing. Won 3 of the 4 sectionals that included SIAC teams. All 3 face tough matchups this week though.

• Like 1

Will definitely be there Friday, excited for some cold playoff football. Interested to see how well Memorial tackles with the size of Ringer and Brotherton. Hard to simulate those dudes on scout team. Although they handled Conner and Wilder well. Something I noticed about East Central, they start a handful of juniors including the QB and Ringer, so they will be good again next year. Should be a great game at Enlow!

31 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Will definitely be there Friday, excited for some cold playoff football. Interested to see how well Memorial tackles with the size of Ringer and Brotherton. Hard to simulate those dudes on scout team. Although they handled Conner and Wilder well. Something I noticed about East Central, they start a handful of juniors including the QB and Ringer, so they will be good again next year. Should be a great game at Enlow!

Enlow Magic will be in full effect Friday night, should be a great crowd for both sides!