Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temp’s Top 25 (Preseason)

Did a weekly installment of this last fall at it generated discussion and received solid feedback so I’m gonna give it a go again in 2023.

Here’s how I see the state’s top 25, regardless of class, heading into the opening week.

Admittedly, my knowledge of central Indiana (my backyard) is better than other areas but I did some homework and even picked the brains of some GID members for which I am grateful.

Once the season starts, I’ll post these every weekend after surfing game results.

I’ll keep 50 teams in my database (25 honorable mention) weekly but will await week 1 results before doing so.

Critique away!

1. Center Grove
  2. Cathedral
  3. Ben Davis
  4. Hamilton Southeastern
  5. Brownsburg
  6. Carmel
  7. Westfield
  8. Warren Central
  9. Carroll (Fort Wayne)
  10. Fishers
  11. Valparaiso 
  12. East Central
  13. Lawrence North
  14. Lawrence Central
  15. Crown Point
  16. Fort Wayne Snider
  17. New Palestine
  18. Roncalli
  19. Bishop Chatard
  20. Penn
  21. Fort Wayne North
  22. Whiteland
  23. Franklin Central
  24. Merrillville
  25. West Lafayette
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Any idea how many starters return from Lafayette Jeff?

Can’t give you an exact number obviously but just looking at the skill positions (depending upon your trust level with max preps), they lose their starting QB and three leading WRs from last year.  They do return their RB.

On the defensive side it appears they return their leading tackler.

Definitely honorable mention to start the year with a wait and see approach from me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Did a weekly installment of this last fall at it generated discussion and received solid feedback so I’m gonna give it a go again in 2023.

Here’s how I see the state’s top 25, regardless of class, heading into the opening week.

Admittedly, my knowledge of central Indiana (my backyard) is better than other areas but I did some homework and even picked the brains of some GID members for which I am grateful.

Once the season starts, I’ll post these every weekend after surfing game results.

I’ll keep 50 teams in my database (25 honorable mention) weekly but will await week 1 results before doing so.

Critique away!

1. Center Grove
  2. Cathedral
  3. Ben Davis
  4. Hamilton Southeastern
  5. Brownsburg
  6. Carmel
  7. Westfield
  8. Warren Central
  9. Carroll (Fort Wayne)
  10. Fishers
  11. Valparaiso 
  12. East Central
  13. Lawrence North
  14. Lawrence Central
  15. Crown Point
  16. Fort Wayne Snider
  17. New Palestine
  18. Roncalli
  19. Bishop Chatard
  20. Penn
  21. Fort Wayne North
  22. Whiteland
  23. Franklin Central
  24. Merrillville
  25. West Lafayette

Any reason for LN over LC? LC has a lot coming back. Will Patterson has done a phenomenal job there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Any reason for LN over LC? LC has a lot coming back. Will Patterson has done a phenomenal job there.

Agree on Patterson and splitting hairs but I just don’t think that you can replace guys like Mickens on D and Jackson on O and not skip a beat.

Luter and Duff are the real deal though.

I really think BD is the MIC favorite and Warren, LC and LN are neck and neck (and neck) for that runner up spot.

• Like 1

My gut tells me you have East Central too low, but I don't know enough about the MIC/HCC teams to see how they would stack up. 

It's always dangerous to play the transitive wins game, but we should have a decent comparison after week 4, since Moeller starts out with Ben Davis, Dwenger, East Central, and Center Grove. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 10:33 AM, temptation said:

Agree on Patterson and splitting hairs but I just don’t think that you can replace guys like Mickens on D and Jackson on O and not skip a beat.

Luter and Duff are the real deal though.

I really think BD is the MIC favorite and Warren, LC and LN are neck and neck (and neck) for that runner up spot.

I mean, it's one spot different. It's not like five spots. 

On 7/19/2023 at 7:55 AM, temptation said:

Critique away!

1. Center Grove
  2. Cathedral
  3. Ben Davis
  4. Hamilton Southeastern
  5. Brownsburg
  6. Carmel
  7. Westfield
  8. Warren Central
  9. Carroll (Fort Wayne)
  10. Fishers
  11. Valparaiso 
  12. East Central
  13. Lawrence North
  14. Lawrence Central
  15. Crown Point
  16. Fort Wayne Snider
  17. New Palestine
  18. Roncalli
  19. Bishop Chatard
  20. Penn
  21. Fort Wayne North
  22. Whiteland
  23. Franklin Central
  24. Merrillville
  25. West Lafayette

I think Plainfield and DC are both going to be better than Whiteland in the Mid-State. Pretty solid list overall. 

45 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

I know Whiteland does return some good athletes but I would probably agree with Plainfield and DC over them.

Nope.  Not me.  Whiteland has it rolling.  They are in reload mode.

They’ll be Westfield in the next few years.

36 minutes ago, temptation said:

Nope.  Not me.  Whiteland has it rolling.  They are in reload mode.

They’ll be Westfield in the next few years.

Woah…that’s a big ask. Much different community. They’ll need to start playing some bigger schools in the regular season if they want to prepare for that upcoming 6A tournament.

3 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Woah…that’s a big ask. Much different community. They’ll need to start playing some bigger schools in the regular season if they want to prepare for that upcoming 6A tournament.

Experiencing rapid growth right now, high SES, high expectations, commitment and buy in.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Experiencing rapid growth right now, high SES, high expectations, commitment and buy in.

I just know Westfield was used to playing bigger schools as their growth took off. Has always been around pretty big football. I love the Mid State conference!! But it’s no HCC. I do believe Whiteland has potential to continue to be at a higher level, just can’t compare to Westfield yet

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

I just know Westfield was used to playing bigger schools as their growth took off. Has always been around pretty big football. I love the Mid State conference!! But it’s no HCC. I do believe Whiteland has potential to continue to be at a higher level, just can’t compare to Westfield yet

Which is why I said “in the next few years.”  They will have to beef things up in the OOC for sure though.

Hell, if things break right they could give CG a run for their money in the 2030s…

Yeah, I said it.

Edited by temptation

On 7/22/2023 at 6:32 AM, temptation said:

Which is why I said “in the next few years.”  They will have to beef things up in the OOC for sure though.

Hell, if things break right they could give CG a run for their money in the 2030s…

Yeah, I said it.

I don't totally disagree with your comment about the Warriors.  But first things first.....

1) Win a 5A title before you outgrow the division

2) Start agreeing to play CG as backyard neighbor

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't totally disagree with your comment about the Warriors.  But first things first.....

1) Win a 5A title before you outgrow the division

2) Start agreeing to play CG as backyard neighbor

I’ll give you #1…need more insight on #2.

Why’d they stop playing?  Did CG reach back out after the MIC falling out?

3 hours ago, temptation said:

I’ll give you #1…need more insight on #2.

Why’d they stop playing?  Did CG reach back out after the MIC falling out?

I believe Whiteland called it off after a few years.  They came close one game at Whiteland, but never beat the Trojans during that period.

I would be shocked if CG didn't reach out.  They have been looking everywhere for games.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I believe Whiteland called it off after a few years.  They came close one game at Whiteland, but never beat the Trojans during that period.

I would be shocked if CG didn't reach out.  They have been looking everywhere for games.

They played close in '14 then got drubbed the next three years and headed for the hills.

We did.

6 minutes ago, Grover said:

They played close in '14 then got drubbed the next three years and headed for the hills.

We did.

It’d be a great series to get back on the schedule and could eventually re-develop into a cool backyard rivalry if Whiteland can continue to grow.

I’d rather see CG “drub” Whiteland than play 4 out of state teams annually.

Edited by temptation

3 hours ago, Grover said:

We did.

There's a lot of talk around the Center Grove community that "no one wants to play us because we're too good." I can't imagine that's the issue here.............any insight? 

51 minutes ago, BTF said:

There's a lot of talk around the Center Grove community that "no one wants to play us because we're too good." I can't imagine that's the issue here.............any insight? 

I'm assuming that's more fans than players/coaches.  While CG had an outstanding season last year, culminating in a blue ring, it would seem that the gaps in wins is getting noticeably tighter.  In 2021, CG beat FC 35-7 in the sectional game.  This past season, it was just 14-10 in sectional.  A differential drop of over three TDs.  In 2021, WC got dropped 38-14.  That dropped to just 17-8 and 42-32 in regionals.  A reduction of two TD differential in both games.  In 2021, the divide with Carmel was almost four TDs.  That dropped to a four-point differential in 2022.  For BD, in 2021, it was over a three-TD differential and over a five-TD differential in semi-state.  In 2022, that differential dropped to a single point.  

Granted, it's just a single-season comparison, albeit the most recent, but that seems like a lot of teams getting better.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I'm assuming that's more fans than players/coaches.  While CG had an outstanding season last year, culminating in a blue ring, it would seem that the gaps in wins is getting noticeably tighter.  In 2021, CG beat FC 35-7 in the sectional game.  This past season, it was just 14-10 in sectional.  A differential drop of over three TDs.  In 2021, WC got dropped 38-14.  That dropped to just 17-8 and 42-32 in regionals.  A reduction of two TD differential in both games.  In 2021, the divide with Carmel was almost four TDs.  That dropped to a four-point differential in 2022.  For BD, in 2021, it was over a three-TD differential and over a five-TD differential in semi-state.  In 2022, that differential dropped to a single point.  

Granted, it's just a single-season comparison, albeit the most recent, but that seems like a lot of teams getting better.

Each class has different talent at key positions, along with different overall talent.  Injuries also play a factor in those games.  Also, getting teams up to play other teams factor in....you mention FC...no doubt they are improving.  Jayson West is a great coach, and being a former CG assistant and long time WC coach, of course he knows how to prepare for CG.  What you didn't mention is that CG lost at home last game of the season 2022 against Cathedral, when they were up for almost the entire game, only to lose the game with a massive Cathedral comeback in the last half of the 4th quarter.  That loss definitely had an impact going into the FC game.  But 4 games later, CG rolls over Cathedral at Indpls Tech, and wins the title against Carroll in much easier fashion that winning the title against Westfield the year prior in 2021.

Are other teams in 6A getting better?  No doubt....but its hard to draw comparisons year to year.  Those CG teams of 2020 and 21 were loaded with talent and that doesn't happen each and every year.  What the team and coaches delivered last year may have actually been even more impressive, as the expectations were not the same as the 20 and 21 teams.  (at least by the fans)

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I am not hearing much of that from folks...definitely not the coaches and team.  Is there some frustration about state teams refusing to play the Trojans....sure.  I understand that totally, as I feel that way.  But definitely not because they believe they are "too good".  The schedule this season is a flat out gauntlet and it didn't need to be.

Edited by Bash Riprock

7 hours ago, temptation said:

It’d be a great series to get back on the schedule and could eventually re-develop into a cool backyard rivalry if Whiteland can continue to grow.

I’ve been saying this for some time. I can’t stand all the out of state opponents. For any school. CG Whiteland needs to get back on the calendar. Same for Carmel Westfield. What a shame those 2 schools haven’t been on the schedule as well. 

7 hours ago, temptation said:

You got to love a good old day backyard rivalry where you paint your opponent's stadium and then get spanked 41-0.

Four Whiteland students suspected of vandalism at Center Grove football  stadium | WTTV CBS4Indy