• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 1

MasseyRatings:

Jasper at Memorial (-7), 65% chance of victory for the Tigers 

North at Castle (-16), 84% chance of victory for the Knights

Reitz (-27) at Harrison, 95% chance of victory for the Panthers 

Central at Mater Dei (-32), 99% chance of victory for the Wildcats 

Bosse at Vincennes (-27), 93% chance of victory for the Wildcats 

Jasper at Memorial  - This one could go either way. Great matchup to kick off the season. I expect Jasper to be better this year but Memorial gets revenge on them from week 1 last season. Tigers by 1 score.

Bosse at Vincennes - Bosse should be improved this season but the Alices will be too and that's a tough place for any team to go play. Will be a great test for the Bulldogs to see if they've improved at all. Alices by 4 scores. 

Central at Mater Dei - I think MD will struggle early in the season until their QB and offense gets more comfortable, so this one may be closer than most think. But I don't expect the Bears to win much, if at all, even though their competitiveness level should definitely increase. Wildcats by 3 scores.

North at Castle - Great first week matchup to see where these teams are at. I think North will be a bit better than Castle this season overall, but I think the Knights win this matchup on their home grass in a close one. Knights by 2 scores.

Reitz at Harrison - Not sure what kind of talent Harrison will have after losing a lot. I think their QB could be a really good playmaker if its the one from late last season. But not sure if they are much if any better than Central overall. Reitz may come out of the gate slow but should end up rolling in this matchup. Panthers by 5 scores.

Edited by Football Fanatic

Jasper is always a tough Wk. 1 match-up for Memorial. This year the Tigers are young on the OL/DL, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are some growing pains the first couple of weeks. I'll still take Memorial, but Phil Mickelson (PM) me would take Jasper +7.

Castle's D is not what it was in 2022, but I think they will have enough to get North. PM me would take North +16.

Reitz will pound Harrison by whatever score they want. PM me would take Reitz -41.  

MD will beat Central, but I think a young MD QB will make enough mistakes to keep it 2-3 scores close, assuming Central doesn't shoot itself in the foot too many times. PM me takes Central +32.

Lincoln is a tough road game and Bosse is an unknown for me. PM me takes Lincoln to cover -27 in a squeaker. 

TGI Football Season!

Jasper over Memorial-close

Bosse over Lincoln-lack of discipline will really hurt Lincoln and Bosse is improved.

Mater Dei over Central- MD picks the score.

Castle over North-still not sold on North.

Reitz over Harrison-worse match up of the week. 

1 hour ago, tango said:

Jasper is always legit.

Agreed. Last season was an outlier as they dealt with injuries to their two best players (Young and Bair) but still had a good season. They had their FB filling in at QB, and we all know that the QB play (smooth handoffs, timing, ball security, ability to run, etc.) is very important in that type of offense. They were playing their best football at the end of the season when they got healthy. They always reload pretty well. System offenses like that are very beneficial to the program as the lower levels know it in their sleep by the time they reach the varsity level. I expect them to go 6-3 at worst. I think the SIAC will definitely be on notice.

Edited by Football Fanatic

52 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Agreed. Last season was an outlier as they dealt with injuries to their two best players (Young and Bair) but still had a good season. They had their FB filling in at QB, and we all know that the QB play (smooth handoffs, timing, ball security, ability to run, etc.) is very important in that type of offense. They were playing their best football at the end of the season when they got healthy. They always reload pretty well. System offenses like that are very beneficial to the program as the lower levels know it in their sleep by the time they reach the varsity level. I expect them to go 6-3 at worst. I think the SIAC will definitely be on notice.

I’ll say it again:  keep your eyes peeled for Eliot Smith for Jasper.  He’s just a sophomore.  But that kid is going to be a special player.  He’s big, he’s fast, and he’s aggressive.

I’m not sure anybody needs to put the SIAC on notice for Jasper. I would almost bet my house every coach understands how legit Jasper is year in and year out. Just my hunch.  
Jasper‘s biggest question is can they be more diverse come tournament time on offense. I think teams are ready to face the Jasper style office by week 10.

55 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I’ll say it again:  keep your eyes peeled for Eliot Smith for Jasper.  He’s just a sophomore.  But that kid is going to be a special player.  He’s big, he’s fast, and he’s aggressive.

He is going to be one hell of a player 

51 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

Side question: 

why in the heck did the Evansville area schools agree to a 6:30 start for all games and not just the games involving Jasper and Vincennes?   

That would make too much sense. But anything to make EVSC AD’s lives easier.

Plus now they can pay 1/2 hour less of Bud the janitor’s triple OT wages to clean up the locker rooms.

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

That would make too much sense. But anything to make EVSC AD’s lives easier.

Plus now they can pay 1/2 hour less of Bud the janitor’s triple OT wages to clean up the locker rooms.

And curtail tailgating for the 3 city schools that actually bring a large fan base - MD, Memorial and Reitz (when they are good)....

Cats over Tigers - Cats conference champs? Maybe

Lincoln over Bosse - Bulldogs improved but low numbers and up-tempo offense will wear the Dogs out down the stretch

MD over Central - game might be closer than many may think

Castle over North - where does North get offense?

Reitz over Harrison - by whatever they want

19 hours ago, CJJL said:

Jasper over Memorial-close

Bosse over Lincoln-lack of discipline will really hurt Lincoln and Bosse is improved.

Mater Dei over Central- MD picks the score.

Castle over North-still not sold on North.

Reitz over Harrison-worse match up of the week. 

Curious your thoughts on lack of discipline for Lincoln? Have you seen something that the rest of us haven't? When I watched last year a couple times I don't remember thinking "these guys aren't disciplined" Now, Reitz on the other hand....

4 hours ago, FootballFan2000 said:

Curious your thoughts on lack of discipline for Lincoln? Have you seen something that the rest of us haven't? When I watched last year a couple times I don't remember thinking "these guys aren't disciplined" Now, Reitz on the other hand....

I watched Lincoln play 3 times last year. In all 3 games they had multiple penalties that really hurt them. Memorial game they had over 100 yards of penalties by halftime.

8 minutes ago, CJJL said:

I watched Lincoln play 3 times last year. In all 3 games they had multiple penalties that really hurt them. Memorial game they had over 100 yards of penalties by halftime.

Gotcha. I guess my definition of not being disciplined is a little different. In my opinion, holds, offsides, PI, etc fall under the category of flow of the game penalties that could be called at any time or a mental lapse. Discipline penalties are more of the personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct variety, in my opinion. Late hit out of bounds or roughing the QB or hit after the play, etc. I didn't see the Memorial game so I can't speak to it but having watched some other SIAC teams more, I'd say every team would have a week or two where they would fall under you "undisciplined" label. 

58 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

Gotcha. I guess my definition of not being disciplined is a little different. In my opinion, holds, offsides, PI, etc fall under the category of flow of the game penalties that could be called at any time or a mental lapse. Discipline penalties are more of the personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct variety, in my opinion. Late hit out of bounds or roughing the QB or hit after the play, etc. I didn't see the Memorial game so I can't speak to it but having watched some other SIAC teams more, I'd say every team would have a week or two where they would fall under you "undisciplined" label. 

It was a very tight game than what the score would indicated. VL was up 10-7 at halftime and kept the lead for most of the 1H, while playing really well. 3rd quarter, Memorial went straight down field to score pretty early in the 3rd quarter to take the lead and go up 14-10, but VL wasn’t out of it at all in the 3rd quarter, since they almost retook the lead in the 3rd. However, it seemed like they fell apart in the 4th, since they had some costly penalties and fumbled the ball like 2-3 times too, from what I remembered. The replay of the game is on IndianaSRN, but the 4th quarter is what got them in that game, inmo

Just now, TigerFan20 said:

It was a very tight game than what the score would indicated. VL was up 10-7 at halftime and kept the lead for most of the 1H, while playing really well. 3rd quarter, Memorial went straight down field to score pretty early in the 3rd quarter to take the lead and go up 14-10, but VL wasn’t out of it at all in the 3rd quarter, since they almost retook the lead in the 3rd. However, it seemed like they fell apart in the 4th, since they had some costly penalties and fumbled the ball like 2-3 times too, from what I remembered. The replay of the game is on IndianaSRN, but the 4th quarter is what got them in that game, inmo

I kind of remember seeing those score updates now that you mentioned how it went down. Seems like that was the story a lot last year for VL. Courier seems to think that too as I've seen in a couple different articles they reference close loses or games that were closer than the score appeared. Looking forward to more parity and close games again this season across the board. I don't think Reitz runs the table again which will open the door for some others. Jasper, Reitz, maybe even Castle or Memorial are my short list picks before any games are even played.

7 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

I kind of remember seeing those score updates now that you mentioned how it went down. Seems like that was the story a lot last year for VL. Courier seems to think that too as I've seen in a couple different articles they reference close loses or games that were closer than the score appeared. Looking forward to more parity and close games again this season across the board. I don't think Reitz runs the table again which will open the door for some others. Jasper, Reitz, maybe even Castle or Memorial are my short list picks before any games are even played.

It was a pretty big game for both teams, since both teams were sitting at 4-3 coming off close loses. I still think Reitz is the team to beat, but so far in the new SIAC, there has yet to been a repeat champion. But Reitz is loaded everywhere and wants to make a statement after last years exit. It should be a fun year in the SIAC, since there is going to be lots of battle between 6-7 teams. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

Looking forward to more parity and close games again this season across the board. I don't think Reitz runs the table again which will open the door for some others. Jasper, Reitz, maybe even Castle or Memorial are my short list picks before any games are even played.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that? I agree there may be a little more parity overall but I would bet a lot that Reitz is at least winning the conference again and maybe even running the table again. They are loaded with returning upperclassmen that have size, speed, and skill. However, even with that, I will not count out Memorial or Jasper. North, Castle, and Vincennes could easily make more noise too but not sure they will get over the hump.

4 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that? I agree there may be a little more parity overall but I would bet a lot that Reitz is at least winning the conference again and maybe even running the table again. They are loaded with returning upperclassmen that have size, speed, and skill. However, even with that, I will not count out Memorial or Jasper. North, Castle, and Vincennes could easily make more noise too but not sure they will get over the hump.

I just think a few bounces went Reitz's way to get them the undefeated record and outright title. Their win at VL and I think there was another close game that went their way but maybe I am mis-remembering. 

Jasper seems to be sneaky good this year, return a solid core and their offense can be tough to stop at times. Castle returns quite a few guys along with Memorial. Not saying Reitz won't take home even a share, I just don't think its a undefeated team that wins it this season.