Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temperature for Week 2 Games

On 8/22/2023 at 2:18 PM, Plymouthfan91 said:

Plymouth has already put into motion cancelling all outside activities for Thursday.  Nothing about Friday yet.  It is forecasted ONLY to be in the mid-80s up north.

If you're Plymouth you may want to consider cancelling all outside activities for the remainder of the season

• Haha 1

Those towers are actually Central Soya, where I worked for a few days when I was quite young.  They housed a bunch of beans.  I'm not sure they're still in business.

I found the history of Central Soya:

Central Soya Company, Inc. - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Central Soya Company, Inc. (referenceforbusiness.com)

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Those towers are actually Central Soya, where I worked for a few days when I was quite young.  They housed a bunch of beans.  I'm not sure they're still in business.

I found the history of Central Soya:

Central Soya Company, Inc. - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Central Soya Company, Inc. (referenceforbusiness.com)

My uncle used to haul beans from Central Soya to Chicago. That's why he's rich now 🤣...that and he sold his farm on 146th Street to developers and a church.

20 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I still remember those days whenever I drive by whatever CYO Field is called today.  That game in that picture must have been an out of town school, or a non Cathedral game.  That must be a CYO jamboree picture on second thought.

I also played CYO ball my 8th grade year on that field.  It was hard!  I caught a pass for about a 3 yard gain that day.

My senior year, we had a game where the lights on the north end of the stadium went out just before kickoff. The decision was made to play the entire game on the south end. 

On 8/23/2023 at 1:10 PM, Bonecrusher said:

I think moving kickoff time back 60 minutes is the best option.  I can tell you it's brutal on the field and in the stands that last couple hours of daylight in the earlier parts of the season down here in TX -- and we're used to these temps!  Been 103-110 (with heat index 110-120) most of the summer.  It's got to be even more difficult playing/spectating in temps like those if you're NOT used to it.

Regarding time zone, I have always thought Indiana is too far west to BOTH be in eastern time and have daylight savings, or even to be in eastern w/o DST.  Indiana should be on central.  DST is a discussion for another thread probably.

Down in the Dallas area, actually Greenville, just a few weeks ago for a funeral.  Was around 103 with heat-index in the 115 range.  Absolutely brutal in a black suit.  Luckily, it was "just like old times" ... the heat, not the funeral.  At least the grave site was next to an oak tree and the funeral home handed out water.

When I got to Indiana, back in 2001, we didn't have DST.  The two time zone thing was a shock though especially when chaperoning a field trip to Fair Oaks and finding out that driving north for less than an hour meant that you arrived at your destination an hour before they opened.

• Like 1