Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MIC Week #2

Plus Carmel and Center Grove...

6-2 last week.

Avon @ Ben Davis:  Avon hung tough with a solid LN outfit at home last week but came up short whereas BD made the statement of the early season in throttling one of Ohio's best.  Giants may be due for a let down and I expect a bit of a slow start before they begin to roll.  BD wins 42-17.

Christian Brothers (MO) @ Carmel:  Hounds get Missouri power CBC and their high powered offense.  A pair of high level Big Ten recruits on each side of the ball including a WR headed to Ohio State.  I do think the travel and the fact that this is CBC's first contest whereas Carmel has already played bodes well for the 'Hounds but I think they come up short here.  CBC wins 34-23.

Fishers @ Pike:  A second straight blowout likely for Fishers as they get the "other" MIC bottom feeder, albeit an improved Pike squad.  The Red Devils will rely heavily on the home field to keep this one close, but I just don't see it.  Tigers roll 38-13.

Fort Wayne North @ Lawrence North:  Speaking of high level recruits. North Side was without their combo last week and is rumored to once again be shorthanded on the bus ride to Indy this weekend.  Sorry but that is a recipe for disaster against a MIC outfit like LN.  Wish them a speedy recovery but gimme the Wildcats here 30-14.

Hamilton Southeastern @ North Central:  Royals got revenge on their homefield last week avenging 2022's semi-state loss to Carroll.  They'll breathe easier this week as the work in progress that is NC awaits.  Royals win 49-7.

Oakland (TN) @ Center Grove:  Don't know a ton about the Tennessee squad other than the fact that they appear in the national polls.  I like CG on their homefield regardless in what I can only describe as a homer pick.  CG wins 23-21.

Warren Central @ Carroll (Fort Wayne):  Don't know where to start here but I never thought I would see big bad Warren Central get bullied at the line of scrimmage and then have inadequate speed against ANYONE, but here we are.  Taking nothing away from Snider but that final score shocked me.  It doesn't get any easier this week as the Warriors travel to Carroll.  Gut check time for the Warriors and though I think they'll improve week by week, I have to take Carroll here.  Chargers win 28-20.

Westfield @ Lawrence Central:  An underrated game on the schedule and two teams coming off blowout wins and looking to get into the state title discussion.  I could see this one going either way and am going to take the easy way out and take the home team by 3 in what could also be viewed as a mild upset.  Bears win 30-27.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, temptation said:

Christian Brothers (MO) @ Carmel:  Hounds get Missouri power CBC and their high powered offense.  A pair of high level Big Ten recruits on each side of the ball including a WR headed to Ohio State.  I do think the travel and the fact that this is CBC's first contest whereas Carmel has already played bodes well for the 'Hounds but I think they come up short here.  CBC wins 34-23.

Feel like Carmel has won this type of game the last few years when they shouldn't have; Cass Tech last year and Trinity the year prior. 

On paper Christian Brothers is much more talented. 

23 hours ago, temptation said:

6-2 last week.

Avon @ Ben Davis:  Avon hung tough with a solid LN outfit at home last week but came up short whereas BD made the statement of the early season in throttling one of Ohio's best.  Giants may be due for a let down and I expect a bit of a slow start before they begin to roll.  BD wins 42-17.

Fishers @ Pike:  A second straight blowout likely for Fishers as they get the "other" MIC bottom feeder, albeit an improved Pike squad.  The Red Devils will rely heavily on the home field to keep this one close, but I just don't see it.  Tigers roll 38-13.

Fort Wayne North @ Lawrence North:  Speaking of high level recruits. North Side was without their combo last week and is rumored to once again be shorthanded on the bus ride to Indy this weekend.  Sorry but that is a recipe for disaster against a MIC outfit like LN.  Wish them a speedy recovery but gimme the Wildcats here 30-14.

Hamilton Southeastern @ North Central:  Royals got revenge on their homefield last week avenging 2022's semi-state loss to Carroll.  They'll breathe easier this week as the work in progress that is NC awaits.  Royals win 49-7.

Oakland (TN) @ Center Grove:  Don't know a ton about the Tennessee squad other than the fact that they appear in the national polls.  I like CG on their homefield regardless in what I can only describe as a homer pick.  CG wins 23-21.

Warren Central @ Carroll (Fort Wayne):  Don't know where to start here but I never thought I would see big bad Warren Central get bullied at the line of scrimmage and then have inadequate speed against ANYONE, but here we are.  Taking nothing away from Snider but that final score shocked me.  It doesn't get any easier this week as the Warriors travel to Carroll.  Gut check time for the Warriors and though I think they'll improve week by week, I have to take Carroll here.  Chargers win 28-20.

Westfield @ Lawrence Central:  An underrated game on the schedule and two teams coming off blowout wins and looking to get into the state title discussion.  I could see this one going either way and am going to take the easy way out and take the home team by 3 in what could also be viewed as a mild upset.  Bears win 30-27.

For once, I can't argue with anything you've put here.

38 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

For once, I can't argue with anything you've put here.

I'll take a shot at it. LN by twice Temp's margin over NS. I really thought they had enough depth to beat Northridge last week without their two D1 guys. I was miserably wrong. Lawrence North big. 

I going with Center Grove 24 Oakland 21 (Homer pick)

Oakland is 3-time defending 6a state champions from Tennessee and has won 4 out of the last 5. If you like Wing-t football CG vs Oakland is the game to see, they both run a modified wing-t. 
Last year team stats: Oakland Rushing: 4304, Passing: 1665 and CG Rushing: 3543, Passing: 2289. Oakland is mostly a running team but can pass when needed. Oakland has a lot of team speed. RBs can get outside and have breakaway speed to create big plays and defense is fast at closing on ball carriers. 

Keys for CG: 

These are all my opinion, and I am not anywhere near an expert. Also, these Opinions are based on what I have seen as of today. I am very aware that Center Grove Will be a better team come playoff time

Running game needs to improve. Last week CG had 100 yards rushing and most of that came from 2 RBs, 40 and 50 yards.  You have to go back to 2009 for a year CG has had no 1000-yard rusher, but even that year they had 3 players over 700 yds. I don’t see a 1000-yard rusher this year, Hope CG proves me wrong!!!

Rap up tackles. IMO CG gave up too many yards after contact against St. Ed.

Keep Oakland speedy big play RBs from getting outside. 

Pass defense: Oakland is mainly a running team but can pass when needed. CG needs to not give up big plays. CG has struggled in this area. Last year 4 times CG gave up more than 350 receiving yards.

Improve pass protection. St Ed had a lot of pressure on CG’s QB last week, not putting all the blame on DL. IMO CG does not read the defense and adjust very well during play.

CG needs more out of their passing game. They have a good set of receivers.

Oakland players to watch. (from 247)
Duce Hewitt TE 6-3 / 240        3-Star
Jake Riggs IOL 6-4 / 260        3-Star
Stephen Ellison S 5-11 / 185  3-Star

Kaden Mowl OT 6-7 / 330              3-Star
Aivery Haynesworth RB 6-2 / 190  3-Star
Daune Morris SE 5' 10" / 175 lbs   4-star

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

I going with Center Grove 24 Oakland 21 (Homer pick)

Oakland is 3-time defending 6a state champions from Tennessee and has won 4 out of the last 5. If you like Wing-t football CG vs Oakland is the game to see, they both run a modified wing-t. 
Last year team stats: Oakland Rushing: 4304, Passing: 1665 and CG Rushing: 3543, Passing: 2289. Oakland is mostly a running team but can pass when needed. Oakland has a lot of team speed. RBs can get outside and have breakaway speed to create big plays and defense is fast at closing on ball carriers. 

Keys for CG: 

These are all my opinion, and I am not anywhere near an expert. Also, these Opinions are based on what I have seen as of today. I am very aware that Center Grove Will be a better team come playoff time

Running game needs to improve. Last week CG had 100 yards rushing and most of that came from 2 RBs, 40 and 50 yards.  You have to go back to 2009 for a year CG has had no 1000-yard rusher, but even that year they had 3 players over 700 yds. I don’t see a 1000-yard rusher this year, Hope CG proves me wrong!!!

Rap up tackles. IMO CG gave up too many yards after contact against St. Ed.

Keep Oakland speedy big play RBs from getting outside. 

Pass defense: Oakland is mainly a running team but can pass when needed. CG needs to not give up big plays. CG has struggled in this area. Last year 4 times CG gave up more than 350 receiving yards.

Improve pass protection. St Ed had a lot of pressure on CG’s QB last week, not putting all the blame on DL. IMO CG does not read the defense and adjust very well during play.

CG needs more out of their passing game. They have a good set of receivers.

Oakland players to watch. (from 247)
Duce Hewitt TE 6-3 / 240        3-Star
Jake Riggs IOL 6-4 / 260        3-Star
Stephen Ellison S 5-11 / 185  3-Star

Kaden Mowl OT 6-7 / 330              3-Star
Aivery Haynesworth RB 6-2 / 190  3-Star
Daune Morris SE 5' 10" / 175 lbs   4-star

IMO this is spot on, but I would disagree about the running game. The 2 backs you referenced averaged 6yds a carry against an excellent St Ed’s defense. They need more than 15 touches and the running game will be just fine. 

42 minutes ago, HomeCookin said:

IMO this is spot on, but I would disagree about the running game. The 2 backs you referenced averaged 6yds a carry against an excellent St Ed’s defense. They need more than 15 touches and the running game will be just fine. 

I am probole being too critical of this year CG running game. CG bar / expectation is set so high for the running back position that when you stack this group up against (Micah Coyle, Drew Wheat, Carson Steele, Russ Yeast, Titus McCoy, Max Norris) it is almost impossible for them to measure up against them. I think they can be good, but good enough to get CG to Lucus Oil, which for better or worse IMO is CG standard now.

On 8/22/2023 at 3:29 PM, temptation said:

6-2 last week.

Ben Davis by 35

Christian Brothers by 14

Fishers by 17

LN by 21

Hamilton SE by about 56 if they want to

Center Grove by 7

Carroll by 28

Westfield by 10

5 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Does CG just have a tree that grows freakishly athletic DL? Geez. 

Very quality win for the Trojans last night over an outstanding opponent and Tennessee's best.  Next week Trinity, followed by Moeller.  The LC game later this season will be another doozy.

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/high-school/hs-football/operation-football-opfb-oakland-tennessee-at-center-grove/531-27726dff-e36e-48d5-8c80-bfd1923765ab

Did I read the scores correctly...Carmel got double nickels dropped on them??  They played an outstanding opponent, but wow....such a shame.....😉

5 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Very quality win for the Trojans last night over an outstanding opponent and Tennessee's best.  Next week Trinity, followed by Moeller.  The LC game later this season will be another doozy.

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/high-school/hs-football/operation-football-opfb-oakland-tennessee-at-center-grove/531-27726dff-e36e-48d5-8c80-bfd1923765ab

Did I read the scores correctly...Carmel got double nickels dropped on them??  They played an outstanding opponent, but wow....such a shame.....😉

Yes Christian Brothers (St. Louis MO) 55 Carmel 28. It wasn't much of a shock. Christian Brothers played Chatard last year and won 55-24 and then played Warren Central and won 52-25. They are a very good football team.

7 hours ago, temptation said:

No, but I saw a sign in their locker room last night before the game…

It said:  “BD and it’s not even close.”

@Slobberknocker

Ha! Well played. I have some thoughts on your Top 25 and opinions I'll share later. Watching Man U get embarrassed. They're like the Dallas Cowboys of English PL. I was very surprised you still at Center Grove at 2. Perhaps I keep falling victim to recency bias as I severely over estimated Pike's abilities after week 1. Yikes, I was at Lebanon last night. It was an ugly first half for Zionsvile. They gotta get there crap together or Westfield is going to curbstop them.

Edited by Boilernation

23 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes Christian Brothers (St. Louis MO) 55 Carmel 28. It wasn't much of a shock. Christian Brothers played Chatard last year and won 55-24 and then played Warren Central and won 52-25. They are a very good football team.

Understand Christian Brothers is very good. Just not used to see Carmel getting 55 put on them regardless of the opponent.