Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Travel Rule - Who Is Using It?

I have a feeling that, with the IHSAA’s relaxation of the travel limitations in recent years, we’ll be seeing more matchups that were not possible under the old rule. So, I thought it might be fun to see exactly how many schools take advantage of the new rule. Saw this on the Facebook page for Crown Point football:

image.thumb.png.16725b269ecbb9acf9e92cd635bd471a.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

What exactly are the advantages to long-distance games like this?  Financial?  Competition? Promotion?

Different schools probably do it for different reasons. For the elite schools playing on ESPN or FoxSports, it’s about money and exposure (which also translates to money), I would guess. I believe many schools do it to provide the students with a great experience as a part of their education. A field trip, if you will.

• Like 1

For teams like Center Grove and Carmel who have to fill a schedule without the benefit of a conference it may be the only way they can find opponents. Center Grove is opening at home with a team from Baltimore. They had a hard time finding an opponent. This at least gives them more options.

A big problem with these types of games is finding games for JV and freshmen to play. Week 1 Center Grove is playing St. Fances (MD) and then schedule Warren Central for JV and Freshmen. But when they play Fri Sep 20 against Trotwood - Madison HS they have open dates for freshmen and JV.  I think I remember last year one game CG Fresh played a small school JV to have a game.

This is a home game for CP, correct?

I don't see this being a thing....no differnet to CP than any of the other Northern IN teams that play teams from Chicago, Michican, or NW Ohio.

Now...do I see much merit in an Indiana team traveling several hours for a non-con game?  Not under any "normal" circumstances.  

4 hours ago, temptation said:

This is dumb.  My opinion.

Agreed. Play Indiana teams. Or schools that relatively nearby. Traveling 7 hours or so to play a short high school football game…cmon. As a fan, I’d rather see OUR INDIANA schools play.

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

For teams like Center Grove and Carmel who have to fill a schedule without the benefit of a conference it may be the only way they can find opponents. Center Grove is opening at home with a team from Baltimore. They had a hard time finding an opponent. This at least gives them more options.

Is Carmel still not playing CG?

What has changed other than opening up opportunities to play teams from further away?

A team from Indiana still can't travel more than 300 miles from the state line.

56 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Nope.

5 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

A big problem with these types of games is finding games for JV and freshmen to play. Week 1 Center Grove is playing St. Fances (MD) and then schedule Warren Central for JV and Freshmen. But when they play Fri Sep 20 against Trotwood - Madison HS they have open dates for freshmen and JV.  I think I remember last year one game CG Fresh played a small school JV to have a game.

I still can’t read your second sentence with a straight face and I don’t think I ever will be able to, lol.

19 hours ago, Bobref said:

Well, just for starters, we wouldn’t have had a chance to see IMG under the old rule.

Obviously yes. But, for Indiana schools, the travel part hasn't changed. It's more for the outside schools. I guess it just increased the pool of teams that could play Indiana teams.

36 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I guess it just increased the pool of teams that could play Indiana teams.

Exactly. I’m just curious whether that increased pool results in an increase in games vs. non-Indiana opponents.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

I could see CG scheduling a long-distance road game for last week of season now that they moved the Cathedral game up. That week falls during their fall break so traveling to a Friday night game would not be an issue.

What is CG’s schedule? Nothing is posted on John Harrell. I doubt CG wants to travel real far every year. Nobody does. It’s high school

23 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Agreed. Play Indiana teams. Or schools that relatively nearby. Traveling 7 hours or so to play a short high school football game…cmon. As a fan, I’d rather see OUR INDIANA schools play.

Not in football....but other sports...yes

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

What is CG’s schedule? Nothing is posted on John Harrell. I doubt CG wants to travel real far every year. Nobody does. It’s high school

Fri Aug 23 St. Frances (MD)
Fri Aug 30 Carroll
Fri Sep 6 @Trinity (KY)
Fri Sep 13 @Ben Davis
Fri Sep 20 Trotwood - Madison HS
Fri Sep 27 Lawrence Central
Fri Oct 4 @Cathedral
Fri Oct 11 @Lawrence North
Fri Oct 18 Open

• Thanks 1