Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Minneapolis Police Killed George Floyd, Then Failed To Protect Property Owners From Riots

Muda69

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Robert E Lee never fought in the name of slavery...he fought for Virgina and his family. The world was a very different place and there was an allegiance to one's state and their family living in it.  I don't think they felt the need to repent for putting their family and home over the Federal gov't at that time in history.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/making-sense-of-robert-e-lee-85017563/

One thing that clearly drove him was devotion to his home state. “If Virginia stands by the old Union,” Lee told a friend, “so will I. But if she secedes (though I do not believe in secession as a constitutional right, nor that there is sufficient cause for revolution), then I will follow my native State with my sword, and, if need be, with my life.”

He was still a traitor. 

DC's Emancipation Memorial, target of protests, was funded by former slaves: reports

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dcs-emancipation-memorial-target-of-protests-was-funded-by-former-slaves-reports

A controversial statue in Washington, D.C., and replicated in Boston, has a history that many people who currently oppose the statues might not know, according to reports.

Both statues depict President Abraham Lincoln standing over a kneeling black man who is newly freed from slavery. Critics of the statues claim the image communicates the black man's subservience -- and have called for the statues in both cities to be removed.

But the idea for the statue started with a formerly enslaved woman who wanted to pay homage to Lincoln after he was assassinated in 1865, according to the National Park Service.

Charlotte Scott, of Virginia, used the first $5 she earned after being freed from slavery to launch a fundraising campaign, the park service said.

Other funds were collected exclusively from formerly enslaved African-Americans, even though the organization running the effort and maintaining the funds was a white-run, war-relief agency based in St. Louis, called the Western Sanitary Commission, the park service said.

"The campaign for the Freedmen's Memorial Monument to Abraham Lincoln, as it was to be known, was not the only effort of the time to build a monument to Lincoln; however, as the only one soliciting contributions exclusively from those who had most directly benefited from Lincoln's act of emancipation, it had a special appeal," the park service said.

The monument, which was designed by Thomas Ball, was cast in Munich in 1875 and shipped to Washington in 1876.

Boston’s statue, located in Park Square, and has drawn ire from some residents, prompting the Mayor Marty Walsh to announce he favors removing it.

Walsh said he was "willing to engage in a dialogue with the community about its future in Boston," WCVB-TV in Boston reported.

This will be fun to watch. Minneapolis used to be a good town to visit with family, not anymore

Minneapolis city council votes 12-0 to abolish police department after death of George Floyd and will replace it with a 'department of community safety and violence prevention'

• Minneapolis city council unanimously approves amendment to city charter 
  • City charter requires that there be a police force to maintain public safety 
  • Amendment calls for 'department of community safety and violence prevention' 
  • New department would offer 'a holistic, public health-oriented approach' 
  • Agency head will have 'non-law-enforcement experience in community safety' 
  • Five city council members are trying to jam through amendment quickly
  • They hope to get amendment on ballot in November so city residents can vote
  • But Mayor Jacob Frey said he is opposed to abolishing the police department 
  • If Frey vetoes the amendment, the city council could then override his veto

By ARIEL ZILBER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 05:46 EDT, 26 June 2020 | UPDATED: 17:53 EDT, 26 June 2020

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

This has now officially gone too far.

I agree, this is way out of control. As a Caucasian male raised in the north, I am now offended by the term Yankee. I demand the New York Yankees change their name. Maybe just NY people??

‘White Jesus’ Tried In The Court Of Black Lives Matter: https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/white-jesus-tried-in-the-court-of-black-lives-matter/

For about a month now, America’s major cities have treated to nightly orgies of old-fashioned, rope-and-torch iconoclasm. Statues of variously “problematic” historical figures (including both Robert E. Lee and, for some reason, Ulysses S. Grant) are defaced, torn from their rivets, and set on fire. 

As cooler minds have always known, it was only a matter of time before these iconoclasts moved out of the public sphere and into the private. But that day came much sooner than many of us anticipated.

Enter Shaun King, one of the founders of Black Lives Matter and a doyen of the cultural elite. Last Monday, Mr. King issued gave his followers a rather disturbing order:

Yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down. They are a form of white supremacy. Always have been. In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went? EGYPT! Not Denmark. Tear them down.

Yes. All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down. They are a gross form white supremacy. Created as tools of oppression. Racist propaganda. They should all come down.

The Christian Postidentifies King as a “retired pastor,” which is a pretty big stretch. In 2008, at the age of 29, Mr. King founded a church in Atlanta called “Courageous Church”—only to step down four years later, aged 33, because his congregation didn’t really like him. “I think in some ways I moved people too quickly for their comfort and it just didn’t work,” he explained. “Some people really loved the changes and transitions that I was proposing, but it didn’t work.” I guess so. In fairness, destroying statues of Jesus and the saints went out of vogue with Protestants a good four hundred years ago. 

I’m not questioning Mr. King’s faith, of course. Far be it from me to read another man’s soul! For all I know, he’s a devout Christian. But I think it’s fair to say that his animus towards White Jesus is more political than theological.

Maybe I’m too optimistic, but I don’t see this wave of destructive violence lasting much longer. Iconoclasm just doesn’t sit well with Americans. That’s one advantage to living in a pluralist society: we’re forced to see the goodness and the beauty in faiths that we don’t ourselves believe in. Whether it’s a mob of SJWs tearing down a statue of Christopher Columbus in Boston or a band of Islamists desecrating the tomb of a Sufi saint in Libya, we don’t abide such violent, small-minded bigots.

We lasted three months under the coronavirus lockdown before we got sick of it and went outside. I’d be surprised if this new wave of iconoclasm lasts even that long. Our republic was founded on the noble principle of not letting someone else tell you what to do—and, regardless of their religion, I firmly believe that most of countrymen will not tolerate these self-righteous, twenty-something busybodies. We don’t all believe in Heaven, but all true Americans share one common creed: “Leave me the Hell alone.” 

Interesting point by Mr. King.  Should all these "European", aka white, depictions of Jesus Christ be removed from the public square?

A SWAT Team Blew Up This Family's House While Chasing a Shoplifter. The Supreme Court Won't Hear the Case.

https://reason.com/2020/06/29/swat-team-police-leo-lech-supreme-court-5th-amendment/

Five years ago, police officers in Greenwood Village, Colorado, destroyed a private residence while pursuing a suspected shoplifter who had broken in and barricaded himself inside. Last year a federal court denied the homeowners any compensation for those damages, even though they had no connection to the theft and did not willingly allow the fugitive into their house. This morning the Supreme Court announced that it will not hear the case.

Over the course of June 3 and 4, 2015, a SWAT team deployed a series of flash bang grenades, tear gas, 40 mm rounds, two Bearcat armored vehicles, and breaching rams against the home of Leo, Alfonsina, and John Lech. The Lechs had to demolish the house, which was worth $580,000. The city gave them $5,000.

This despite the fact that the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment is supposed to protect citizens from having their property taken or destroyed by the government without being justly compensated for that loss.

"The simple rule of the Constitution is that the government cannot arbitrarily single out private citizens to bear the costs of something that should rightly be the burden of society as a whole," said attorney Jeffrey Redfern of the Institute for Justice, the public interest law firm that represented the Lechs, in a statement. "If the government requires a piece of property to be destroyed, then the government should pay for it—and that's just as true regardless of whether the people doing the destroying are the local school board or the local police."

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit disagreed, ruling in October that the cops acted within their "police power" when they ravaged the home in an attempt to coax the suspect, who was armed with a handgun, to surrender.

As Jay Stooksbury wrote in the December 2017 issue of Reason, the ordeal financially upended the Lech family's life. Leo Lech had to take out a $390,000 loan after having to tear down what remained of the home. As of October of last year, he had incurred an additional $28,000 in attorney's fees.

The death of George Floyd, an unarmed man killed by a Minneapolis cop, has driven new life into the conversation around police reform—not just as it relates to excessive force, but as it pertains to ensuring the public has recourse against officers who infringe on their rights. The Supreme Court recently refused to hear several cases on qualified immunity, the legal doctrine that allows public officials to violate your rights without fear of federal civil rights lawsuits, so long as the way those rights were trampled has not been outlined almost identically in a previous court precedent.

The Lech case is a microcosm for several discussions around what needs to change. There was the intensely-militarized presence: Why does apprehending a petty thief necessitate grenades and armored vehicles? There was a rather plain violation of the homeowners' constitutional rights. And there was—and is—the lack of accountability, which the Lechs no longer have hope of seeing rectified.

Yet another heinous example of the militarization of our nation's law enforcement edifice.  Shameful.

Why SF is not going to apologize to any African American/Black for being white:

I never owned any slaves, and wouldn't - You (most likely) never picked any cotton......If your are offended - that's on you.....Outside of that, I don't see blackness, and don't expect you to see whiteness.

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Going to take a very special human being to be a police officer in the future. It sure isn’t for the compensation package. 

Assault away in Virginia.....

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/virginia-democrats-draft-proposal-to-downgrade-assault-on-police-to-misdemeanor

Just when I was convinced that educators were the least respected profession...

Edited by Guest

It is a verifiable fact that George Floyd tested positive for the coronavirus. Neither Floyd or any of the officers were wearing masks during his encounter with police. I haven't heard a word about any of the officers contracting the coronavirus.

1 hour ago, Howe said:

It is a verifiable fact that George Floyd tested positive for the coronavirus. Neither Floyd or any of the officers were wearing masks during his encounter with police. I haven't heard a word about any of the officers contracting the coronavirus.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:35 PM, psaboy said:

This will be fun to watch. Minneapolis used to be a good town to visit with family, not anymore

Minneapolis city council votes 12-0 to abolish police department after death of George Floyd and will replace it with a 'department of community safety and violence prevention'

• Minneapolis city council unanimously approves amendment to city charter 
  • City charter requires that there be a police force to maintain public safety 
  • Amendment calls for 'department of community safety and violence prevention' 
  • New department would offer 'a holistic, public health-oriented approach' 
  • Agency head will have 'non-law-enforcement experience in community safety' 
  • Five city council members are trying to jam through amendment quickly
  • They hope to get amendment on ballot in November so city residents can vote
  • But Mayor Jacob Frey said he is opposed to abolishing the police department 
  • If Frey vetoes the amendment, the city council could then override his veto

By ARIEL ZILBER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 05:46 EDT, 26 June 2020 | UPDATED: 17:53 EDT, 26 June 2020

1 - Define a "holistic" public health oriented approach.....

2 - Get ANYONE to understand what that means......

The LEO's exist to enforce the law.  There are a few bad ones and they need weeded out, but this "feel good" approach to enforcing the law will fail wherever it is tried......

This Council will ruin Minneapolis.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, swordfish said:

The LEO's exist to enforce the law.  There are a few bad ones and they need weeded out, but this "feel good" approach to enforcing the law will fail wherever it is tried......

1. The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is still around; many of the cities that border Minneapolis in Hennepin County simply contract with them.

2. There are apparently a lot of bad ones to be weeded out since all of this has been going on.  

6 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

1. The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is still around; many of the cities that border Minneapolis in Hennepin County simply contract with them.

2. There are apparently a lot of bad ones to be weeded out since all of this has been going on.  

The Indianapolis Police Department was twice as large as the Marion County Sheriff's Department before the two merged to become the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

Minneapolis and Indianapolis are similar sized cities. If both cities have similar sized police departments, the abolishment of Minneapolis Police could result in a 67% reduction throughout the city and county.

• 2 weeks later...

Defense attorney: Vauhxx Booker was 'instigator and agitator' in July 4 Lake Monroe incident

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2020/07/13/lake-monroe-incident-attorney-says-booker-instigator-and-agitator/5427775002/

In a press conference held in Indianapolis Monday, an attorney for two men involved in a racially charged incident near Bloomington said his clients are victims of a smear campaign perpetuated by Vauhxx Booker.

Booker, a Black man, said he was the victim of a hate crime at Lake Monroe over the 4th of July holiday weekend.

David Hennessy, a criminal defense attorney, represents Sean Purdy and Caroline McCord, two of several white men and women captured on videos that show parts of the incident. 

Hennessy said Booker has been "putting forth a false narrative" about the events and that his clients "want the truth to come out."

"Mr. Booker was the instigator and the agitator," criminal defense attorney David Hennessy said, adding that Booker punched his client three times and had to be restrained.

Hennessy also accused Booker of "race baiting" his clients and said they did not say, nor did they hear anyone make, a comment about getting a noose.

Booker posted on Twitter Monday morning, prior to the announcement of the press conference, that he was still awaiting justice.

Booker's attorney said she was not aware of the press conference and had not yet seen Hennessy's press release on the subject and therefore could not comment.

Booker said he was approached by a group of white men while at the lake on July 4, who said he and his friends were trespassing on private property.

Booker said the men attacked him and that he was pinned against a tree and subjected to racist language and a threat of lynching. A portion of the incident was captured on video, which Booker posted to Facebook.

But Hennessy said the video Booker posted doesn't show the entire exchange between the two groups.

"It is deplorable that a person would be targeted because of his or her race," Hennessy said, reading from a press release at the start of the press conference. "It is equally deplorable for a person to use his race as a weapon and to arouse public passion over a false allegation."

Hennessy said that Booker was the first to throw punches and was restrained by Purdy and others because of his threatening behavior.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources is conducting an investigation of the incident, as is the FBI. No arrests or charges have been made and the agency did not immediately respond to a request for an update on the investigation.

The DNR report will be turned over to the Monroe County Prosecutor's Office, which will decide whether or not to file charges following the completed investigation.

The prosecutor's office has also received tens of thousands of emails and phone calls from people expressing their concern about the incident, county prosecutor Erika Oliphant said in a statement Thursday.

In the aftermath of the incident, there have been public demonstrations and calls from state environmental groups for the DNR to review its policies.

In a coronavirus update news conference Wednesday, Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb called video of the incident "beyond disturbing."

True or false:  This would have been the lead story on EVERY national news network all week were the skin color reversed.

(Waiting on folks to justify murder based on words coming out of someone else’s mouth.)

44DC0BF4-2C06-40D8-8EB3-CF10D2429470.jpeg

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, Howe said:

True

The mainstream media would have been encouraging mass riots, looting and protests. 

With optional masks?

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

With optional masks?

Masks would not have been mentioned on mainstream media network broadcasts and only mentioned in the fifth paragraph of mainstream media newsprint.

58 minutes ago, Howe said:

Masks would not have been mentioned on mainstream media network broadcasts and only mentioned in the fifth paragraph of mainstream media newsprint.

Then why is it always a lead story when 45 hosts an event (Tulsa/Rushmore) and masks/social distancing are not priorities?

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Then why is it always a lead story when 45 hosts an event (Tulsa/Rushmore) and masks/social distancing are not priorities?

American mainstream media is nothing more than the propaganda arm of the Democrat party. The American mainstream media is the laughing stock of the world.