Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NWI Semi-States

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

HCC records are deceiving my man.  They have also played Cathedral (#1 in 5A), Brownsburg (top 3 team in 6A all year) and Zionsville (5A semi-state team playing this weekend).  They went 2-1 in those games.

You already knew that though.  Wins in the HCC are hard to come by.

I'm thinking once you play Cathedral,  nobody else's roster or record is going to intimidate you in the slightest

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

But Temp;

Arent there six sub .500 teams on Westfield's schedule?   (count Noblesville (2-8) and Fishers (3-8) twice each)  17 to 21 points.....really.  Why is Westfield so good? 

If the Homestead beatdown didn't convince you, then you'll find out Friday. Then CG will beat down on Westfield.

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

HCC records are deceiving my man.  They have also played Cathedral (#1 in 5A), Brownsburg (top 3 team in 6A all year) and Zionsville (5A semi-state team playing this weekend).  They went 2-1 in those games.

The HCC has slipped though.  Fishers and HSE are not what they were 5 to 10 years ago.  Noblesville still has not made much progress.  Franklin Central is firmly entrenched in the basement.  Avon had its worst season in 5 years.  Brownsburg disappointed once again in the post season.  Outside of ZV and WF, its been a failed season for The HCC.  

1 minute ago, Staxawax said:

If the Homestead beatdown didn't convince you, then you'll find out Friday. Then CG will beat down on Westfield.

Could be. I'm just surprised at the number  If Westfield is 21 points better than Merrillville,    I have to see that. 

.........and a 5-loss Zionsville team is going to jack up the undefeated Valparaiso team that is 22-1 in 2 years?  Let's kick that one off.  

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Could be. I'm just surprised at the number  If Westfield is 21 points better than Merrillville,    I have to see that. 

.........and a 5-loss Zionsville team is going to jack up the undefeated Valparaiso team that is 22-1 in 2 years?  Let's kick that one off.  

I predicted 21 with the possibility of a late Mville TD to make it 14.

Nobody up FW way thought Zionsville would hang with Dwenger.  But, they found a way.  I consider them the underdog in this game.  But, they are at home, and they like to grind it out. So, we'll see......

45 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

But Temp;

Arent there six sub .500 teams on Westfield's schedule?   (count Noblesville (2-8) and Fishers (3-8) twice each)  17 to 21 points.....really.  Why is Westfield so good? 

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

True. I would add that Cathedral is probably the best team in any class. If they pick up that 4th and one very late in the Center Grove game, they win. It's not like Westfield just escaped those games against the lower HCC teams. The first Noblesville game, at Noblesville, was reasonably close because that team almost never passes. I think there were maybe 5-6 passes thrown by them in both games combined. They also take the play clock down to almost zero on every offensive possession, therefore limiting the other team's number of possessions. 

Also the HCC has three new coaches this season. Imagine trying to put together a program with Zoom meetings and having the kids be disciplined enough to do what needs to be done during the summer. In fact, Coach Gilbert mentioned this during a preseason interview, that he thought his team did a great job of doing just that, and the teams that did would be the most successful during this strange season.

57 minutes ago, DT said:

The HCC has slipped though.  Fishers and HSE are not what they were 5 to 10 years ago.  Noblesville still has not made much progress.  Franklin Central is firmly entrenched in the basement.  Avon had its worst season in 5 years.  Brownsburg disappointed once again in the post season.  Outside of ZV and WF, its been a failed season for The HCC.  

Slipped to #3 in the state at worst however.  You've stated this elsewhere.  Let's not pretend its the MAC.

31 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I predicted 21 with the possibility of a late Mville TD to make it 14.

Nobody up FW way thought Zionsville would hang with Dwenger.  But, they found a way.  I consider them the underdog in this game.  But, they are at home, and they like to grind it out. So, we'll see......

That's 2 years in a row that the SAC Champ/Co Champ hasn't looked good against middle to cellar dwellar HCC Teams and then throw in Westfield dismantled Homestead. The HCC is heads and shoulder above everyone not named the MIC. I'll give them them the benefit over my beloved Duneland in any matchup. 

I think Valpo is in serious trouble. They lacked a great passing game last year and the upgrate was supposed to be when Grimes transferred in from Lafayette Jeff. He ended up leaving the 1st half of the Penn game with an injury and hasn't been seen since.  Valpo is a ground and pound team that will use the massive size/strength of their lines to run the ball down ZIonsville's throat and stop the ZIonsville offense. I can see this game turning into a 14-10 type of game that sees a lot of clock being burned up by running the ball. I'll give Zionsville the edge due to tougher schedule and Zionsville has a QB in Stone that capable of making big plays with is arm. 

I have a feeling Merrillville will keep it somewhat close and Westfield will end up winning by around 14. JoJo Johnson is not easy to contain. He and Marcus Hardy con generate some offense for the Pirates. 

Nothing against Marion, but I'll take the Bricks by 10+. I can't see them losing at home in a game that puts them back into a State Final Appearance for the first time since 1996. Especially since they were so close last year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

Slipped to #3 in the state at worst however.  You've stated this elsewhere.  Let's not pretend its the MAC.

I don't see how any conference can be above them at 2. Certainly not the Duneland. The SIAC and Mid State are too small, IMO. I think most of the HCC could fair very well in those conferences. I believe they've proven the past two years that they're currently ahead of the SAC.

Edited by Boilernation

7 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I don't see how any conference can be above them at 2. Certainly not the Duneland. The SIAC and Mid State are too small, IMO. I think most of the HCC could fair very well in those conferences. I believe they've proven the past two years that they're currently ahead of the SAC.

Oh I agree.  Was just creating a little wiggle room as DT’s tone made it seem like the conference had fallen off a cliff.

Edited by temptation

44 minutes ago, temptation said:

Oh I agree.  Was just creating a little wiggle room as DT’s tone made it seem like the conference had fallen off a cliff.

That was my assumption. We both know DT would be crowning them Conference of Champions had Brownsburg knocked off Carmel and Ben Davis for a 2nd time. Highly impressive when your #2 team can beat Ben Davis by 31 and beat the Ohio Division 1 Champ. 

21 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Had Marion/East Noble this past week.  

Honest surprised at Marion's dedication to what they did best....RUN THE ROCK!   A hard hitting contest that was a nail-biting game.  No idea of which Purple team will come out the victor, but this should be a close Semi-State.

A play here or there, and EN could have prevailed.  

As a fan, please understand that some of the rules that you see on Saturday and Sunday are NOT the rules applies to NFHS games played at the HS level.  

Enjoy the 12 contests this coming weekend, and understand that the officials who were selected to officiate these contests also feel honored to be participants in the tournament as much as the teams that are on the field.  

Just my 2 cents!  

I agree, a couple sloppy plays here and there (EN Special Teams and D) and EN could have easily won that game.  

I can't speak to the 5A and 6A game but I'm going to pick Hobart in a close one.  I was hoping it would be EN to make the trip, even though I'm not sure we could have beaten Hobart, totally different EN team from last year.

I was really impressed with the size and physicality of Marion's 2 backs.. Their feature back, Stamps I think his name is, is very fast and obviously great.   I was more impressed with their second option guy.. don't remember name.. big, physical, tough.  I think he wore down the EN defense more than anyone.  

And Yucca,  dont fret the EN crowd too much.. they're always rowdy lol.  

Good luck to both teams!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

I agree, a couple sloppy plays here and there (EN Special Teams and D) and EN could have easily won that game.  

I can't speak to the 5A and 6A game but I'm going to pick Hobart in a close one.  I was hoping it would be EN to make the trip, even though I'm not sure we could have beaten Hobart, totally different EN team from last year.

I was really impressed with the size and physicality of Marion's 2 backs.. Their feature back, Stamps I think his name is, is very fast and obviously great.   I was more impressed with their second option guy.. don't remember name.. big, physical, tough.  I think he wore down the EN defense more than anyone.  

And Yucca,  dont fret the EN crowd too much.. they're always rowdy lol.  

Good luck to both teams!

Thanks.  We did our best.

No issues on the field.....just one guy losing his mind (in the stands) and being REALLY loud.  

Also, no disrespect to Marion...but we were honestly shocked that EN didn't turn their early momentum in the 2nd half into a lead.  

I am NOW and always have been impressed with Coach (Luke) Amstutz.  He knows his stuff....Did it at Carroll (assistant), absolutely did it at Angola!  And is ALWAYS doing it at EN..

As for the Giants, good luck this week at Hobart.  Always a great locale to play at.  Should be a great game also!  

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

That's 2 years in a row that the SAC Champ/Co Champ hasn't looked good against middle to cellar dwellar HCC Teams and then throw in Westfield dismantled Homestead. The HCC is heads and shoulder above everyone not named the MIC. 

3 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Nobody up FW way thought Zionsville would hang with Dwenger.  

Yea the FW group that insists that the SAC is state tested and in an upward cycle.

2 hours ago, southend said:

Yea the FW group that insists that the SAC is state tested and in an upward cycle.

I have no dog in the fight.

But its obvious that the SAC either needs to contract (in FB ONLY) or expand and have divisions in order to give them a subjective understanding of what they are 

The parochial schools in the conference (as well those in 4A) benefit from the competition.   Those who don't fit these dimensions, only seem to focus on a conference championship. Then get obliterated once they are outside of the 'comfort' of the conference.

As I have said before.   The larger/competitive schools in Northern Indiana have NO SHOT at winning a state final unless and until they break away and play one another in their own 'specialized' Football-Only conference! 

(6A) The MiC has dominated things, now the HHC is also in the mix.  Never the Duneland, SAC, NLC, NIC ... Time to think outside of the box, if this is the ultimate objective.  Otherwise, its a trip to Indy-land and a red ribbon on the bus ride back home.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

(6A) The MiC has dominated things, now the HHC is also in the mix.  Never the Duneland, SAC, NLC, NIC ... Time to think outside of the box, if this is the ultimate objective.  Otherwise, its a trip to Indy-land and a red ribbon on the bus ride back home.  

The dominance of the MIC isn’t going away anytime soon. I doubt that changing scheduling is going to help. To be honest, I’d be shocked if a team that’s not in the MIC wins 6A once in this entire decade. 

Agreed. 

Its a sad scenario that we are in right now.  A team outside of the MIC/HHC will break the cycle.  But that may be an outlier for a year or so.

If the Northern 6A wants to compete, they should play one another (or others) take a loss or 2 and get stronger down the road....  

15 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Thanks.  We did our best.

No issues on the field.....just one guy losing his mind (in the stands) and being REALLY loud.  

Also, no disrespect to Marion...but we were honestly shocked that EN didn't turn their early momentum in the 2nd half into a lead.  

I am NOW and always have been impressed with Coach (Luke) Amstutz.  He knows his stuff....Did it at Carroll (assistant), absolutely did it at Angola!  And is ALWAYS doing it at EN..

As for the Giants, good luck this week at Hobart.  Always a great locale to play at.  Should be a great game also!  

Had the pleasure of sitting next to the fan you are speaking of... a muzzle instead of a mask would have been appropriate to say the least..

Marion flat out did things that EN had not seen this year (having 4 guys around a punt then watching Marion take it the other way for 6 comes to mind.) Stamps and Silmon were able to break off some big plays that EN couldn't afford to give up. 

I think Hobart limits the big plays and pull this one out by 10. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scarab527 said:

The dominance of the MIC isn’t going away anytime soon. I doubt that changing scheduling is going to help. To be honest, I’d be shocked if a team that’s not in the MIC wins 6A once in this entire decade. 

I'll gladly take that bet.  DT was correct in stating that the HCC was a bit disappointing this season and took a step back but simple socioeconomics and the upgraded commitment that HCC schools are putting into football is astounding.  Common sense suggests that someone outside of the MIC will get one soon.  Maybe later rather than sooner, but if you are giving me until 2030, I will take that bet.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

I'll gladly take that bet.  DT was correct in stating that the HCC was a bit disappointing this season and took a step back but simple socioeconomics and the upgraded commitment that HCC schools are putting into football is astounding.  Common sense suggests that someone outside of the MIC will get one soon.  Maybe later rather than sooner, but if you are giving me until 2030, I will take that bet.

I would agree. My gut feeling is that it'll be Avon who eventually breaks through. The committment is definately there for all schools when it comes to facilities and feeder programs. Even Noblesville just recently broke ground on a new $14M stadium that will hold roughly 8,500. The new stadium wont' be ready for football until the Fall of 2022.

Edited by Boilernation

23 minutes ago, temptation said:

Trust me, I’d love to see it happen. Maybe it will. But I doubt it. 

28 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I would agree. My gut feeling is that it'll be Avon who eventually breaks through. The committment is definately there for all schools when it comes to facilities and feeder programs. Even Noblesville just recently broke ground on a new $14M stadium that will hold roughly 8,500. The new stadium wont' be ready for football until the Fall of 2022.

That facility is going to be fantastic. I am just  curious, out of the Indy area teams, is there a list of top 5 stadium capacities anywhere? I would love to see exact numbers of some of the best stadiums in Indy.