Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Time for IHSAA to Implement The NSF : Non Success Factor - Its the right thing to do

Guest DT

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan said:

Does this run the risk of high schools "Tanking" to drop a class to have more success? I didn't see that on this thread in any other post, unless I missed it. Also how does the IHSAA combat "Tanking"?

That is a very valid question--thank you for your insight.  That is one reason why I'm not in favor this this.   Another one, what would be done with the class 1A schools.  Have them run cross country or play volleyball? 

On 2/26/2021 at 8:26 AM, Dolts said:

Didn't some Parke County schools consolidate to be relevant in Athletics? 

Is that what the NSF would prevent?

They consolidated because Turkey Runs was about to go under. They were already under the same school board and superintendent with Rockville. 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, Muda69 said:

I'm assuming before the consolidation that Rockville and Turkey Run were separate government school corporations? Therefore a consolidation would save $ on administrative staff like a superintendent.

False they’ve been under the same umbrella for over 10 years

16 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Do you really believe a HS football coach would instruct player A to drop a pass on purpose or ask player B to purposefully miss a tackle?

No, I don't believe that they would, but I just pose the question. What, other than pride stops this from happening?

Allow schools to opt out of the tournament and schedule another game or games.  School could only opt out during enrollment count years.   Another option would be to allow schools to petition the IHSAA to move down a class.  Petition requirements could be socioeconomic factors, win/loss records, longevity of poor performance in current class, etc.

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

But you don't even see that data on the IDOE's website anymore, do you?

There's a spreadsheet called school-enrollment-ethnicity-and-free-reduced-price-meal-status-2006-20-1.xlsx on the site that contains ethnicity as well as free/reduced numbers.  Have to use a little Excel skill to get rates, but fairly doable.

image.thumb.png.765f4f4e4e9ee125e69b3e524d8ba0ef.png

44 minutes ago, foxbat said:

There's a spreadsheet called school-enrollment-ethnicity-and-free-reduced-price-meal-status-2006-20-1.xlsx on the site that contains ethnicity as well as free/reduced numbers.  Have to use a little Excel skill to get rates, but fairly doable.

image.thumb.png.765f4f4e4e9ee125e69b3e524d8ba0ef.png

Thank you.  Doing the percentage calculation for Frankfort High school using the data from that spreadsheet matches the 68% now listed as "Economically Disadvantaged" on the FHS inview.doe.in.gov website.  Why the DOE switched to using a more PC nomenclature instead of just "Free/Reduced Meals" is interesting:

Screenshot 2021-03-02 152210.jpg

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you.  Doing the percentage calculation for Frankfort High school using the data from that spreadsheet matches the 68% now listed as "Economically Disadvantaged" on the FHS inview.doe.in.gov website.  Why the DOE switched to using a more PC nomenclature instead of just "Free/Reduced Meals" is interesting:

Screenshot 2021-03-02 152210.jpg

Interesting, but not surprising.