Jump to content

Notre Dame 2021


Bobref
 Share

Recommended Posts

After two gut check games against inferior competition, Notre Dame is bound to have a game where their talent level plays like they should against lower level competition. And while I don't particularly like either of these teams, I think this is the week where Notre Dame does what they should have done against FSU (did it for 3 quarters) and Toledo. 

ND being down to their third string OT is a problem, especially with Karlaftis lined up across from him, but man for man Notre Dame should destroy Purdue up front on both sides of the ball. Purdue's offensive line isn't impressive at all and they are down their best running back for a huge chunk of the season. Freeman is overcoaching everything at the moment. This isn't Cincinnati where you need to outscheme the opposition on every single play because there isn't a huge talent gap between opponents. Needs to get that figured out quickly as he's almost cost ND to games they had no business losing.

 

Anyway, I see Notre Dame getting back on track and finally playing like the team they were billed to be. Purdue is going to need a monster game out of Karlaftis and some of the secondary skill position players are going to need to step up. I think Hamilton (with corner help) is really going to take away Bell's downfield playmaking ability but alas think that is a fascinating match-up, two of the very best at their respective positions.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Irish fall to 14th in the rankings. I would say that is about where they belong at this point. 

Sounds about right.  I think this Saturday's matchup with Purdue will be a good one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I get what you did, but it's a stretch to say the least. Do you think ND should be ranked lower? Unranked? 

Nah, just busting your balls is all.  I think polls should reflect results on the field.  If not, then why play the games?

FACT:  Over two weeks Notre Dame football has escaped wins over a MAC team and a team that was defeated by Jacksonville State who in turn was defeated soundly by UAB.

Talent wise, Notre Dame is a top ten team which was indicated by their preseason ranking…even their current ranking of 14th is taking that into account more so than the results on the field.

Overlooking an opponent/one bad week is understandable.  But if they narrowly escape Purdue this weekend?  That’s a pattern.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Nah, just busting your balls is all.  I think polls should reflect results on the field.  If not, then why play the games?

FACT:  Over two weeks Notre Dame football has escaped wins over a MAC team and a team that was defeated by Jacksonville State who in turn was defeated soundly by UAB.

Talent wise, Notre Dame is a top ten team which was indicated by their preseason ranking…even their current ranking of 14th is taking that into account more so than the results on the field.

Overlooking an opponent/one bad week is understandable.  But if they narrowly escape Purdue this weekend?  That’s a pattern.

lol...ok

I agree with the talent level thing

and yep, two weeks in a row against sub par competition is concerning. Another close game should sound the alarms. 

I said after the FSU that the game plan was the issue. I do not have the Peacock app, so cannot judge that oe, but sure sounds like it was an issue here as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

lol...ok

I agree with the talent level thing

and yep, two weeks in a row against sub par competition is concerning. Another close game should sound the alarms. 

I said after the FSU that the game plan was the issue. I do not have the Peacock app, so cannot judge that oe, but sure sounds like it was an issue here as well. 

Had Toledo not scored so easily and left too much time for ND to drive the field, it'd have ended differently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Had Toledo not scored so easily and left too much time for ND to drive the field, it'd have ended differently.

And had ND not fumbled (kyren williams) at the Toledo 30 or whatever it was they score to make it a 2 score game and the game ends differently as well.

Regardless they should have handled Toledo with ease and until I see otherwise, they will have close games with Purdue, Wisconsin, Cincinnati,Virginia Tech, N Carolina and most likely USC depending on the direction they're headed by then. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

And had ND not fumbled (kyren williams) at the Toledo 30 or whatever it was they score to make it a 2 score game and the game ends differently as well.

Regardless they should have handled Toledo with ease and until I see otherwise, they will have close games with Purdue, Wisconsin, Cincinnati,Virginia Tech, N Carolina and most likely USC depending on the direction they're headed by then. 
 

Ya see, the difference in the analogy that you are attempting to make is that Toledo actually had something to do with Williams fumbling.

The read option play in which Toledo scored prior was defended SO poorly by ND that Toledo (only needing a first down) actually scored instead of just setting up for the game winning FG which would have been a chip shot.

Had Toledo just gotten the first down, they’d have been able to probably run the game clock down and kick from 30 yards down 2.

Not a guarantee but the dude was already 3/3 on the day.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Ya see, the difference in the analogy that you are attempting to make is that Toledo actually had something to do with Williams fumbling.

The read option play in which Toledo scored prior was defended SO poorly by ND that Toledo (only needing a first down) actually scored instead of just setting up for the game winning FG which would have been a chip shot.

Had Toledo just gotten the first down, they’d have been able to probably run the game clock down and kick from 30 yards down 2.

Not a guarantee but the dude was already 3/3 on the day.

No chance I’m letting my kicker attempt a game winning on the road in front of 100k fans at the expense of not scoring a TD to take the lead while trailing. Hindsight is 20/20 but you just don’t do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

No chance I’m letting my kicker attempt a game winning on the road in front of 100k fans at the expense of not scoring a TD to take the lead while trailing. Hindsight is 20/20 but you just don’t do that.

Wasn’t implying that.  Simply pointing out the fact that ND was actually rewarded for its porous D and misread on the read option play.

(And for the record, it was a crowd of 62k…)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

There were empty seats. Big patches of them.  I was kinda shocked.

Surprising. Figured fans would be chomping at the bit to get back into the stadium after a Covid year. That must be a record low since the stadium was expanded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drumgate:  https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2021/09/17/purdue-university-worlds-largest-drum-all-american-marching-band-big-bass-drum-notre-dame-stadium/8374391002/

Quote

 Purdue's All-American Marching Band will be without The World's Largest Drum Saturday.

The legendary drum can't fit in Notre Dame Stadium, ESPN reported Thursday night. 

For the first time in 42 years — since the Carter Administration — Purdue University's All-American Marching Band won't perform Saturday at halftime with The Drum, which weighs a quarter of a ton and stands at 10 feet tall. 

Few things in college football are as tall as Purdue's Drum. Minnesota's offensive lineman Daniel Faalele, listed by gophersports.com at 6-foot-9 and 400 pounds, the tallest player in NCAA football right now, comes close. 

"According to a communication from the University of Notre Dame, our Band will not be permitted to take the World's Largest Drum through their tunnel and onto the football field for this Saturday's game," said Aaron Yoder, a spokesman for the university's bands and orchestras, to ESPN.com.

"Notre Dame Athletics has restricted use of their main tunnel to their own football team and band, which is the only entrance large enough for the Drum. We have been told that visiting teams and bands have to use a separate tunnel that is much smaller. Our Drum is about 10 feet tall on its carriage and 565 pounds so it doesn't even come close to fitting in this other tunnel."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...