Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

22 minutes ago, temptation said:

You’ll rarely, if ever catch me defending Notre Dame but if you don’t think there is a difference between being the DC at Cincinnati and the DC at Notre Dame, I can’t help you.

19 minutes ago, BTF said:

Though not a mid-major program, Cincinnati isn't Notre Dame. There is a difference in strength of schedule.

I'm certainly not defending his performance in Sunday's game, but he consistently had some of the highest ranked defenses in college football while at Cincinnati, regardless of 'level'. Even the announcers thought his 3 man front was a mistake, it's rare that you see them correct about something especially since that crew was decidedly biased toward the Seminoles.

He has his work cut out for him this year from all the missed tackles and just basic fundamental mistakes in execution I saw from the players on the field. 

First time in awhile I've seen a non-Clemson or non-Alabama team win the LOS against the Irish. That just doesn't happen a lot. I was impressed with Notre Dame's athletes, #4 is a good receiver, #23 is great in space, and the TE is a load down field, but both sides of the line got beat up against Florida State. 

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

First time in awhile I've seen a non-Clemson or non-Alabama team win the LOS against the Irish. That just doesn't happen a lot. I was impressed with Notre Dame's athletes, #4 is a good receiver, #23 is great in space, and the TE is a load down field, but both sides of the line got beat up against Florida State. 

Every year there seems to be one piece missing from the puzzle. The line should get better as the year goes on. 

13 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I'm certainly not defending his performance in Sunday's game, but he consistently had some of the highest ranked defenses in college football while at Cincinnati, regardless of 'level'.

He's probably going to run into more talented offenses while coaching at ND than he did at Cincinnati. I have a lot of confidence in him. It's hard to expect ND's defense to to perform at a Top 10 level in their first game playin in his system. Time will tell. 

Can't say I'm surprised that all of Notre Dame Subway Alums on my Facebook feed are already calling for Kelly to be fired. Granted, I would probably enjoy hanging out with the Taliban more than Bryan Kelly, but do true ND fans really want him out? Have they forgot about clamoring for a National Title contender during the Boob Davie, Willingham, Fat Charlie, etc. eras? They finally have a legit playoff contending team every year and that's not even good enough? 

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

Can't say I'm surprised that all of Notre Dame Subway Alums on my Facebook feed are already calling for Kelly to be fired. Granted, I would probably enjoy hanging out with the Taliban more than Bryan Kelly, but do true ND fans really want him out? Have they forgot about clamoring for a National Title contender during the Boob Davie, Willingham, Fat Charlie, etc. eras? They finally have a legit playoff contending team every year and that's not even good enough? 

No one with an IQ over 75 is calling for Kelly's job. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Delusional or unrealistic are great terms to define many Irish fans.

54 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Notre Dame has done one hell of a job these last couple of years.  They’ll need a miracle to creep into that top 3 elite group but should not be ashamed at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Notre Dame has done one hell of a job these last couple of years.  They’ll need a miracle to creep into that top 3 elite group but should not be ashamed at all.

Agreed. I was once a rabid Domer follower before embracing Purdue. The younger me was crushed when Boston College won that game in '93. I was actually at Ron Pawlus' first game against Northwestern in Soldier Field. I believe that was '94. Nonetheless, if I were still an ND fan, I would be thrilled to see the success they've had lately. Not everyone can be Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson.

13 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed. I was once a rabid Domer follower before embracing Purdue. The younger me was crushed when Boston College won that game in '93. I was actually at Ron Pawlus' first game against Northwestern in Soldier Field. I believe that was '94. Nonetheless, if I were still an ND fan, I would be thrilled to see the success they've had lately. Not everyone can be Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson.

If Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are your bar, be prepared to be disappointed more often than not.

Rough Start to season for the Irish on the injury front...

Black Fisher OT -out 8 weeks

Paul Moala LB - out for season

Shane Simon LB - out for season

Those linebackers missing the rest of the year on top of starting/most athletic LB Marist Liafau out for the season is really going to test the depth of the defense, especially at LB. Freshman LB Prince Kollie is now going to look at taking some #1 snaps at ILB and soph WR Xavier Watts is moving over to help the defense, I think at Rover. Next man in, but wow if they suffer another injury to that LB crew it's gong to be tough to overcome. 

On 9/6/2021 at 4:12 PM, Bobref said:

Now I’m confused …. Coan was 26/35 (74%), 4 TDs, 1 int., 366 yds. That works out, under the NFL system, to a QBR of a little over 133. 158.75 is perfect. So, it seems to me he’s not the problem. The problem is without a rushing game, they had no ability to take the air out of the ball in the 4th quarter, like they tried to do. They have a preseason first team AA at running back, and he averages 2.3 yds./carry. Sounds like an O-line issue to me.

Bob, the extra threat of the QB run is not there.  Book gave them that element last season  He's a fine pocket passer, but has trouble scrambling and throwing on the run.  Stats don't always tell the full story.

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Bob, the extra threat of the QB run is not there.  Book gave them that element last season  He's a fine pocket passer, but has trouble scrambling and throwing on the run.  Stats don't always tell the full story.

I rest my case!  Buchner is what the Irish need!

Well, the Irish win another ugly one 32-29.  It hasn't been much fun watching the Irish the first two games.

BTW, the same punting situation just happened in the Navy/Air Force game.  The punter was in the air and hit and a personal foul was correctly called.  The punter, as much as the QB, should be protected.

17 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Well, the Irish win another ugly one 32-29.  It hasn't been much fun watching the Irish the first two games.

BTW, the same punting situation just happened in the Navy/Air Force game.  The punter was in the air and hit and a personal foul was correctly called.  The punter, as much as the QB, should be protected.

I would say it’s been a little fun considering ND usually finds a way to lose these types of games they let the other team hang around. 
Lets be honest here, this offensive line is not good. We have a grad transfer qb who can’t sense pressure or see a blitz coming in front of him. I didn’t believe this before the season but with their inability to run the ball Tyler Buchner may need to play now to give them a chance to keep the defense honest. He looked pretty good today and Jack coan did not. But the OL, down to LT #3, needs to get much much better to help the qbs out. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

Two plays away from 0-2…anyone see the ending to the FSU game last night?

Yes but they made the plays and are 2-0. Normally they don’t make those types of plays and find a way to lose a game they shouldn’t.
And yes, how the heck does FSU let that guy get behind them?!! And then they can’t tackle him or push him out of bounds? 

• Like 1

Purdue @ ND 

GK is going to be a problem for the Irish. David Bell is going to be a problem for the Irish. I’m anxious to see who plays QB for ND this week or if they go to a (gasp) 2 platoon quarterback system to help the run game. 

20 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Yes but they made the plays and are 2-0. Normally they don’t make those types of plays and find a way to lose a game they shouldn’t.
And yes, how the heck does FSU let that guy get behind them?!! And then they can’t tackle him or push him out of bounds? 

But the other team “not making plays” also helped.  Norvell froze his own kicker and Toledo scored too quickly and decided to get flagged 6 times in the final 2 minutes. 

On 9/12/2021 at 10:10 AM, temptation said:

But the other team “not making plays” also helped.  Norvell froze his own kicker and Toledo scored too quickly and decided to get flagged 6 times in the final 2 minutes. 

I agree with what you’re saying but IMO that’s the case for every game, some teams make plays and some teams take advantage of others misfortunes. I really thought that Toledo QB would go down around the goal line to take more time off the clock. On to Purdue, should be a good game.