Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

6 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I think the game would have been different if everyone was healthy, would be a much closer game. However, that Young to Blair connection is going to be deadly on defenses this year. Also, that RB reminded of Dawkins too, since from my view, he kept trucking over people.

Meh. We looked very mediocre IMO. QB couldn't hit the dart board, drops if he came close, and waaaaay too many YAC. The Tigers have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to compete for SIAC. Jasper deserved to win tonight, but they won't run the table this year. Smallest Jasper team I've seen in a long time, which makes the L ever worse.

19 minutes ago, combthehair said:

It was weird listening to the Jasper Memorial game without Walt Ferber calling the action on the radio. That man did that longer than I’ve been alive. But, the new guy was top notch. 

I missed this post initially...didn't realize that Walt had retired until the weeks leading up this season.  Definitely a huge part of what has made this rivalry great through the years. Not many Vincennes people could stand the man (laughing as I type this), but I suppose the great ones make enemies along the way. Wish him the best in retirement. 

And I can totally relate to losing a long time voice on the radio.  Dave Young called Lincoln sports for 30+ years, and sadly passed away last year. Walt actually sent over a recording giving his best to Dave as part of a collaborative video sent to him in his final days. 

1 minute ago, tango said:

Meh. We looked very mediocre IMO. QB couldn't hit the dart board, drops if he came close, and waaaaay too many YAC. The Tigers have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to compete for SIAC. Jasper deserved to win tonight, but they won't run the table this year. Smallest Jasper team I've seen in a long time, which makes the L ever worse.

Won’t get any easier next week, Huskies are itiching for a win after last nights comeback falling short.

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Week 1 Observations

- Did not see the Alices blanking out Bosse 40-0. Sounds like VL was rolling on all cylinders tonight.

-Mater Dei went into the Bear Den and took an convincing 35-0 win over Central. 

- Let the Panthers roar over the Warriors as they were on fire against Harrison. The Panthers get a nice 39-8 win in the Bowl.

- How about them Knights? Fended off a very nice Husky comeback to beat North 28-21. There are some players on both sides on the ball.

- A score that raised lots of eyebrows, Jasper rolling over Memorial 34-10. While the Tigers were out a few key pieces, Jasper looked mighty, mighty solid. Will be interesting if they meet again in the sectional.

Power Rankings will drop on Monday.

I figured VL would win but not by a score like that. Reitz has a lot of hype but I could see the Alices giving them a tough game at home. Don’t sleep on the Alices this year!

MD is really good but the Bears may be in for a tough season. Herdes scoring on them was just salt in the wounds. MD has a great shot to win the SIAC. 

Panthers roll as expected. Looks like Ben Davies ran away with the QB job. Came in and I believe threw 3 TDs, 2 to Xavier Thomas and 1 to Hayden Summers. Defense seems to be legit as well. 

I thought North would win, but also not surprised that Castle wins in a close one. Two fairly even teams. I keep seeing Mitchell won the QB job but it’s still McKinney’s job when he returns right? North’s Rb St. Louis will be relied on heavily this season. Castle will be tough to beat though.

I thought Memorial would win. But I’m not surprised Jasper won, however the score did surprise me a bit. I thought Memorial would keep it closer than that. I expect Memorial to be rolling at the right time after they get all their dudes back. Does Memorial consider a QB change to Fisher at some point? 

looking forward to week 2!

8 hours ago, combthehair said:

That game is so much fun! As a player, I loved playing against the Alice’s at Vincennes. That stadium was always rocking and having to come out from under the Vincennes stands while y’all booed us was awesome. 

Not so awesome, having Brewer yell at us for how embarrassed he was by our performance and then punching a hole in his hat. 😆 

Can’t talk about Vincennes/Jasper without posting Gunner Wyman’s hilarious headstone:

21cc0875-d69f-46ff-aebe-89a281040e84-385

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Can’t talk about Vincennes/Jasper without posting Gunner Wyman’s hilarious headstone:

I guess I should give some context for those who don’t know.

Gunner Wyman was VL’s longtime basketball coach.  And they had a massive rivalry with Jasper - one that usually would not have been described as “friendly.”  There are some legendary stories about things that happened in and around VL/Jasper matchups.

Gunner clearly insisted on getting the last word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, combthehair said:

This is my kind of petty. LMAO!!!!

Man I dunno...on the surface this may look petty. But there was some real deep rooted hatred before the turn of the century...the early 80s in particular.

Love that the headstone was brought into the conversation LOL

8 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

I’m sure that will be an interesting conversation 

No. The backup played baseball most of the summer. He isn't the answer. 

8 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

He was fully dressed last night and was taking notes too from what I saw. 

He charts plays. He wasn't taking notes.

• Like 1

Fisher is not the answer. Getting healthy is the answer. I don’t see this team getting healthy until mid season. Fisher would be my 4th choice. I’m not interested in seeing a kid not fully committed to the team take over at QB. 

8 hours ago, Screagle said:

Fisher is not the answer. Getting healthy is the answer. I don’t see this team getting healthy until mid season. Fisher would be my 4th choice. I’m not interested in seeing a kid not fully committed to the team take over at QB. 

I’ve heard some positive reviews on Pedtke - his arm, at least.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:57 AM, MHSTigerFan said:

The  Jasper/Tell City rivalry intensified when Gunner was at Tell City back in the early 60s, he had some very competitive teams and was highly respected. I thought that rivalry was probably more intense in football than in basketball. Some time after Gunner went to Vincennes, that rivalry intensified, and it peaked after the controversial baseball sectional final, (2005?) went to 14 innings, Jasper winning. The Tell City rivalry waned eventually, and the Vincennes rivalry isn't what it used to be. I miss the Tell City rivalry the most, it was mutual respect after the game, not so much for Vincennes. I was lucky enough to participate in and witness some amazing events. There was also an interesting story regarding the name "Gunner" came about.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 10:15 AM, TigerFan20 said:

Another observation I saw is that Castle’s QB did not look like a fresh QB at all. 266 yds 3/1 is one hell of a stat to start off

He played QB from 7th through Freshman year.   Moved to CB his Soph year (because Castle does not play both ways) to get on the field.   Tilly leaves and now he is the answer back at QB.   Great kid. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

He played QB from 7th through Freshman year.   Moved to CB his Soph year (because Castle does not play both ways) to get on the field.   Tilly leaves and now he is the answer back at QB.   Great kid. 

Ah, that makes a lot of sense now. Seemed like the media made it seem like he was a fairly new QB