Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Brady Allen: Mr. Football case

3 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

CG fans pushing down the rest of the roster to make the case for Curry is all anyone needs to know.  Never seen fans discredit the talent on their team for specific player to get an award like this before.  

What are you talking about?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

The fact that a Center Grove player won last year won't make a lick of a difference. The IndyStar loves giving the award to a large class player from Metro Indy. 

I don't know about geography but only 4 of the last 10 recipients were from the largest class.  

1 minute ago, Grover said:

What are you talking about?

….it’s in the quoted comment.  

People acting like CG having only* 8 D1 kids over the last 2 years and saying that it’s not that many and it’s normal. And then acting like those players are not that good because not all are P5 schools….as if any of this is supposed to give credit to Curry.  

it would basically be like if CG is your boss….and then they told you that they get a check every 2 weeks just like the rest of us.  

my comments don’t necessarily apply to you though @Grover.  I’ve found you to be probably the most reasonable CG fan on here.  My comments are more at the others. 

18 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

….it’s in the quoted comment.  

People acting like CG having only* 8 D1 kids over the last 2 years and saying that it’s not that many and it’s normal. And then acting like those players are not that good because not all are P5 schools….as if any of this is supposed to give credit to Curry.  

it would basically be like if CG is your boss….and then they told you that they get a check every 2 weeks just like the rest of us.  

my comments don’t necessarily apply to you though @Grover.  I’ve found you to be probably the most reasonable CG fan on here.  My comments are more at the others. 

I appreciate the complement but I guess I didn't take the quoted comment that way.  Doesn't mean I'm right but I didn't see it that way.  We have taken pride since Coach Moore got here in our ability to win with NAIA and D3 players but the last couple years have been a blast with unreal talent on the field.  Great fun to watch and I can only hope the stars align similarly in the future.

58 minutes ago, Grover said:

I don't know about geography but only 4 of the last 10 recipients were from the largest class.  

Oh come on. The award is known to have bias towards metro Indy/largest class.

More than half the winners all hail from Metro Indy and 13/29 winners have all come from the largest class (either then 5A or 6A). Yes there have been winners from smaller classes, butthe largest class has a huge disproportionate amount of winners.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Speak for yourself lol cuz I clearly just read someone trying to downplay having 8 D1 players instead of 10 and saying that was normal….and pointing out that not all are P5 offers like that matters. 

definitely not ignoring the team but nice try at trying to flip my argument back at me…won’t work.  I have been nothing but uplifting when it comes to the surrounding team at GS…..every year. 

I don’t think you have watched Allen that much this year because he has had to throw on the run and evade pressure so many times….that’s what happens when you play a 5A+ schedule as a 3A school. In the state championship game alone there were probably 10+ passes completed just because Allen was able to extend plays and then put the ball exactly where it needed to be.  The play of the game was him throwing a laser on 4th and goal from the 21 yard line in between 3 defenders right at eye level for the receiver.  Couldn’t have been thrown better and it was the go ahead score 

This is how I KNOW you didn’t watch Gibson Southern or follow that much.  

GS put a running clock on all but 3 opponents.  Allen played the 4th QTR of like 4 games total….played only the first half of probably 8…..if he played the full game every game, you would probably be looking at a 6000 yards 70 passing TD season….against a schedule more difficult than what most of 5A faces. 

I know 6 things….

1.  I’m not your cuz

2. Allen is an excellent player

3.  Reviewed GS schedule  It’s not more difficult than what most 5A schools play

4. Allen plays offense only 

5.  I’m not downplaying anyone

6.  Anyone that wants to talk stats only hasn’t really played the game…they lack understanding 

You need to relax and chill.  Enjoy the title.  

18 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I know the name of the award. But who does the voting??? Who actually determines the outcome?? 

The coaches do.

And I’m sure there’s zero undue influence or pressure by the organization that sponsors the award….Yeah. Freakin. Right.

Over the years this has been an Indy dominated award typically won by a player in the largest class. 

Edited by Footballking16

48 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I know 6 things….

1.  I’m not your cuz

2. Allen is an excellent player

3.  Reviewed GS schedule  It’s not more difficult than what most 5A schools play

4. Allen plays offense only 

5.  I’m not downplaying anyone

6.  Anyone that wants to talk stats only hasn’t really played the game…they lack understanding 

You need to relax and chill.  Enjoy the title.  

1) “listen here buster” -You 

2) agreed, too bad you haven’t seen him play and are tiptoeing around that

3) your personal opinion does not matter here as there are computer ranking and actual matchups that prove you wrong.  

4) Only a fool of a coach would have their blue chip talented QB play defense when you have 80 other kids who can play.  It’s the QB position…let not pretend like that isn’t a factor into not playing 2 ways or special teams.   

5) then don’t use 28-0/Back2Back as an argument for Curry.  It’s a team achievement.  THE ONLY REASON IT MATTERS FOR THIS DISCUSSION IS BECAUSE FOR 3A SCHOOLS OR SMALLER YOU HAVE TO WIN STATE TO EVEN GET A NOMINATION.  That’s it.  If you’re not playing after thanksgiving you have absolutely zero chance at winning this award.  It’s been said that if Brady were to have a chance he needed to win state.  He led the team to that goal.  For the discussion of this award, that was his ticket into the conversation 

6) (I’m a former player and played DL) don’t try to play the wise man after talking out of your butt in numerous comments previous to this.  I think I can understand how not everything shows up on paper….but when the other candidate had the 7th most passing yards in the country and 2nd most passing TDs this season….and arguably the best season statistically for a QB in Indiana history….on top of breaking 3 career QB records and finishing 2nd in career yards…….well…sorry…you kinda need something on paper at this point 

7) your perception of hostility and the need for me to “relax and chill” is a personal issue for you because you don’t know how to respond to direct arguments made back at you and you think it’s an attack….it’s not.  Make better arguments and don’t get caught talking out of your butt around someone who will call you out on it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

It's the Indianapolis Star Mr. Football award....

12 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Yep.... For better or worse, money and influence talk.

It is given by the Indianapolis Star as an award, but the IFCA Ratings Board selects the finalists and all Coaches vote for the winner (if they turn in their ballot). While Indystar awards it they aren't actually the ones casting the vote.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Speak for yourself lol cuz I clearly just read someone trying to downplay having 8 D1 players instead of 10 and saying that was normal….and pointing out that not all are P5 offers like that matters. 

definitely not ignoring the team but nice try at trying to flip my argument back at me…won’t work.  I have been nothing but uplifting when it comes to the surrounding team at GS…..every year. 

I don’t think you have watched Allen that much this year because he has had to throw on the run and evade pressure so many times….that’s what happens when you play a 5A+ schedule as a 3A school. In the state championship game alone there were probably 10+ passes completed just because Allen was able to extend plays and then put the ball exactly where it needed to be.  The play of the game was him throwing a laser on 4th and goal from the 21 yard line in between 3 defenders right at eye level for the receiver.  Couldn’t have been thrown better and it was the go ahead score 

This is how I KNOW you didn’t watch Gibson Southern or follow that much.  

GS put a running clock on all but 3 opponents.  Allen played the 4th QTR of like 4 games total….played only the first half of probably 8…..if he played the full game every game, you would probably be looking at a 6000 yards 70 passing TD season….against a schedule more difficult than what most of 5A faces. 

I get your sentiment with these posts and Brady Allen is a terrific QB. I do have one question have you watched much of Caden Curry (aside from State Championship games the last 3 years)? He definitely has been a catalyst of Center Grove's defense being dominant the last 3 years. I won't deny there have been other very good defensive players for CG over the last 3 years (like Booker). Just keep in mind his presence even when he isn't the one making a tackle has drawn double and triple team opening up TFL's for LB's or other D-lineman. There is a reason Curry is recruited by the P5 schools he is and he is a freakish big athlete.

He may not win the award because of the way QB, RB, or WR stats are looked at compared to a defensive lineman. Curry though is extremely impressive and shouldn't be downplayed. He is 100% deserving of Mr. Football award as is Brady Allen. I would bet Allen will win due to Offensive stats. It is what it is when it comes to these awards. I am definitely curious to see where Curry chooses to play Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State (I personally feel it will be Ohio State but that is just a hunch I have), but it is a testament to his ability that he is getting looked at by all of those schools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

3) your personal opinion does not matter here as there are computer ranking and actual matchups that prove you wrong.   

Please take no offense to this because it shouldn't downplay Brady Allen's success or play. As painful as it is to agree he is correct on the strength of schedule. While Sagarin does not include South Warren in SOS, Calpreps does. Only 3 of the top 10 5A teams had a lesser SOS than Gibson Southern (Castle, Mishawaka, and Valpo) 11 out of top 25. Only 2 out of the top 25 in 6A and 0 of the top 10 had lesser SOS.

http://calpreps.com/2021/ratings/Indiana_division.htm

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

The coaches do.

Thank you for confirming what we all knew.....

Yea, I am sure the IndyStar influences the heck out of high school football coaches..especially outside of the Indy metro area. Good to know the voters are subject to an organization doing the thinking for them and the IFCA.  

Perhaps, statistically since 1992 more of the top players out of the state came from the most populated area of the state....crazy thought huh? 🤪

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I get your sentiment with these posts and Brady Allen is a terrific QB. I do have one question have you watched much of Caden Curry (aside from State Championship games the last 3 years)? He definitely has been a catalyst of Center Grove's defense being dominant the last 3 years. I won't deny there have been other very good defensive players for CG over the last 3 years (like Booker). Just keep in mind his presence even when he isn't the one making a tackle has drawn double and triple team opening up TFL's for LB's or other D-lineman. There is a reason Curry is recruited by the P5 schools he is and he is a freakish big athlete.

He may not win the award because of the way QB, RB, or WR stats are looked at compared to a defensive lineman. Curry though is extremely impressive and shouldn't be downplayed. He is 100% deserving of Mr. Football award as is Brady Allen. I would bet Allen will win due to Offensive stats. It is what it is when it comes to these awards. I am definitely curious to see where Curry chooses to play Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State (I personally feel it will be Ohio State but that is just a hunch I have), but it is a testament to his ability that he is getting looked at by all of those schools.

Both of your posts are spot on.  I am not tearing down Allen...he's tremendous.  We know this award (although not supposed to be) is just like the Heisman voting.  The focus is on offensive players, especially QB's.  Allen is an incredible "Offensive" football player....playing a solid 3A schedule.  His team (a very good one with talented players) won the 3A championship with Allen having a really good game.  (5 TD's and 3 interceptions)  Those are the facts.

Curry is a 4 year starter....started in the MIC, which is the best conference in the state for football and is consistently nationally ranked.  He goes up against the top players pound for pound in the state and excels in all 3 phases of the game.  He is the best ALL-AROUND football player in the state.  (tackling, blocking, running, catching, long snapping, and other special teams)  Given his physical attributes and his play, that is why so many top Power 5 schools have offered him.

Both players are great.  To try and compare them statistically given the positions they play, the value they bring, the competition they play, and sides of the ball they play is totally apples to oranges.  Its silly.  I question a person's football acumen when they attempt to do so.  (or strike it up to emotion vs knowledge)

QB's and offense wins this award and has with the exception of once since the origin of this award.  I don't expect it to be any different this year.  

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Outside of state I can’t say I have seen much of curry outside of what film there is out there and I just watch that cuz I’ve been following him like the rest of everybody for a few years.  He is deserving of the award….but we know where my thoughts on that are.   

as for the SoS.  Calpreps certainly doesn’t lend favors for the argument I have made but maxpreps and Sagarin do.  

going off of calpreps though…Columbus East….a few other notable schools with similar or less SoS…if GS was in 5A with the same schedule nobody would be saying a thing.  This whole SoS thing against GS is kinda BS.  I’ve laid out time and time again on here how it wasn’t a bad SoS….the responses have indicated they don’t care…still 3A…despite beating Brebeuf too. Just a lack of credit to the opponents GS has faced is all. 

5 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Outside of state I can’t say I have seen much of curry outside of what film there is out there and I just watch that cuz I’ve been following him like the rest of everybody for a few years.  He is deserving of the award….but we know where my thoughts on that are.   

as for the SoS.  Calpreps certainly doesn’t lend favors for the argument I have made but maxpreps and Sagarin do.  

going off of calpreps though…Columbus East….a few other notable schools with similar or less SoS…if GS was in 5A with the same schedule nobody would be saying a thing.  This whole SoS thing against GS is kinda BS.  I’ve laid out time and time again on here how it wasn’t a bad SoS….the responses have indicated they don’t care…still 3A…despite beating Brebeuf too. Just a lack of credit to the opponents GS has faced is all. 

Leave CE out of this, WE SUCKED this year 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2021 at 12:32 PM, Footballking16 said:

How long did Brady Allen stay in the game against either of those teams? Was GS still throwing in the third quarter up big? Cathedral has over 100 kids on their roster and will always look to get everyone game action when applicable. I don't think Cathedral has ever been fixated on pumping up a players stat line. I'm sure if Cathedral wanted to throw the ball 45 times against New Albany for 500 yards and 6 TD's they could have, they simply chose not to because it wasn't necessary. They scored one TD in the second half with a running clock and all 75 players who dressed played in the game. 

I have your answer 

Brady played 40 of 60 possible quarters apparently.  

Assuming he played 60 quarters at the same pace his stats would have been around 

6,375 passing yards 

87 passing TDs 

Glad he didn’t though.  No sense in running up the score.  Up by 35? Put the backups in and Run out the clock.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, Footballking16 said:

The coaches do.

And I’m sure there’s zero undue influence or pressure by the organization that sponsors the award….Yeah. Freakin. Right.

Over the years this has been an Indy dominated award typically won by a player in the largest class. 

Jaylon Smith (2A Bishop Luers) and Jack Kiser (1A Pioneer) have won this award... RECENTLY

IMO.  Brady Allen totally blew the State away with his performances this year!   

So let's not put aside that 'lower' classes or schools outside of the Indy Metro Area aren't deserving of any award, especially this one.

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I have your answer 

Brady played 40 of 60 possible quarters apparently.  

Assuming he played 60 quarters at the same pace his stats would have been around 

6,375 passing yards 

87 passing TDs 

Glad he didn’t though.  No sense in running up the score.  Up by 35? Put the backups in and Run out the clock.

It’s no different than the the year Markell Jones at East won it.. I believe he only played 2 games past halftime and 2 games he only played 1 quarter… 4 carries 147 yards and 4 TD’s against a Seymour team in the 1st quarter. Didn’t play another snap. 

I also think Allen should win it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olympian06 said:

It’s no different than the the year Markell Jones at East won it.. I believe he only played 2 games past halftime and 2 games he only played 1 quarter… 4 carries 147 yards and 4 TD’s against a Seymour team in the 1st quarter. Didn’t play another snap. 

I also think Allen should win it 

That’s an insane stat.  4 carries 4 TDs and a buck fifty in yards. Lord

was he the 2nd or 3rd Mr. football from CE? 

12 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

That’s an insane stat.  4 carries 4 TDs and a buck fifty in yards. Lord

was he the 2nd or 3rd Mr. football from CE? 

He was the 2nd Mr. Football from Columbus East behind Gunner Kiel in 2011.

There have been several players that have won Mr. Football that would have had outrageous stats had they played 4 qtrs in all their games. Ones I have watched play live multiple times (more than 3-4 games): Carson Steele, Charlie Spegal, Reese Taylor, Terry McLaurin, Darren Evans, Dexter Taylor, Desmond Tardy, James Banks, Otis Shannon, Derrick Ellis, DuJaun Daniels

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

He was the 2nd Mr. Football from Columbus East behind Gunner Kiel in 2011.

There have been several players that have won Mr. Football that would have had outrageous stats had they played 4 qtrs in all their games. Ones I have watched play live multiple times (more than 3-4 games): Carson Steele, Charlie Spegal, Reese Taylor, Terry McLaurin, Darren Evans, Dexter Taylor, Desmond Tardy, James Banks, Otis Shannon, Derrick Ellis, DuJaun Daniels

Just thinking about what spegal would have put up playing full games is insanity.  He might have put up 15K career yards lol nuts 

26 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

David Bell would like a word.

You could make an argument that David Bell wasn't even the most deserving player on his own TEAM that year. Romeir Elliott rushed for 3100 yards and scored 41 TD's that year. Only one other largest class player has ever rushed for 3,000+ yards in a single season, Shakir Bell who was also snubbed of the award. 

Edited by Footballking16