Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Doyel: The transfer portal is fair, just — and completely out of control

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2022/03/30/ncaa-transfer-portal-fair-just-and-completely-out-control/7205682001/

(Note, commentary is behind a paywall)

Now we get the game wanted by everybody and nobody, with results we can see right away and repercussions that won’t be felt for years. This one particular game, tell me: Is it good for college basketball? Is it bad? Do you honestly think we’re talking about Duke vs. North Carolina in the Final Four?

No. This is bigger than Duke-UNC.

This is the transfer portal.

And it is a game, or another level to the game that is college basketball. Big part of college football, too, but this game is so huge and terrifying, let’s narrow the focus to college basketball after mentioning that more than 3,000 college football players entered the transfer portal after last season. Do the math: Eighty-five scholarships per team, 124 FBS schools. That’s about 10,000 college football players. Nearly 30% entered the transfer portal.

The transfer portal was the most NCAA move ever, and by that I mean, it was a move made too late, too negligently, and only out of fear. The NCAA is located in Downtown Indianapolis, and I’m friendly with a lot of those folks, but they’re overmatched and they know it.

The business of college sports has grown so large, so fast, with TV money and (legalized) gambling money and $10 million coaches and impatiently petulant boosters, the NCAA is just trying to hang on. College sports is a bucking bull, bouncing violently all over the place while the NCAA – the office in Indianapolis – hangs on for dear life.

Forever, the NCAA took the hard-line stance that players cannot transfer without having to sit out a year, oftentimes sacrificing a year of eligibility if they redshirted for any other reason; the five-year clock waits for nobody. That transfer policy, especially with weasel coaches like Brian Kelly leaving one school for another literally before its season has ended – and getting an enormous raise in the process! – was brutally unfair.

The public outcry got to be so large, and the NCAA so scared, that it threw up its hands – the hell with it – and gave every player in America the freedom to transfer one time, free of charge. The NCAA created the transfer portal.

Coaches screwed it up, immediately. The media helped.

Mr. Doyel then goes on to not only call the aforementioned Mr. Kelly as weasel coach but basketball coaches Archie and Sean Miller weasels as well.

Opinions on the NCAA Transfer Portal as it stands now?

8 hours ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2022/03/30/ncaa-transfer-portal-fair-just-and-completely-out-control/7205682001/

(Note, commentary is behind a paywall)

Mr. Doyel then goes on to not only call the aforementioned Mr. Kelly as weasel coach but basketball coaches Archie and Sean Miller weasels as well.

Opinions on the NCAA Transfer Portal as it stands now?

To me, too many kids want instant gratification (playing time) and do not want to work and be patient. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Commitment is a word that’s rapidly being erased from the American vocabulary.  

It sure is.

7 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Commitment is a word that’s rapidly being erased from the American vocabulary.  

Just now, DE said:

It sure is.

But people will continue to make excuses for it all.

Athletics reflect society in microcosm. In general, the paradigm is different for young people today than it was for our generation. When I got out of law school, the paradigm in private practice was find a firm you liked, and that liked you. Work hard as an associate so you can make partner. Once you do, you’re invested in the firm, and the track was to stay there until you were ready to retire. Today, however, it is extremely rare to find a young lawyer who has been out of law school for 5 years and hadn’t had a couple of jobs. Our society is at an unprecedented time in terms of access to information and mobility. Why shouldn’t athletics be the same way? No one would bat an eye if the smartest student in the math program decided to transfer to MIT because their math department was better. What’s the difference?

Edited by Bobref

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

No one would bat an eye if the smartest student in the math program decided to transfer to MIT because their math department was better. What’s the difference?

Not sure of this comparison.  Why didn't the smartest student in the math program enroll at MIT in the first place if their math department was so much better than any other he surveyed?

Why do student athletes enter the transfer portal today?   Probably two reasons:  playing time and coaching changes.

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Not sure of this comparison.  Why didn't the smartest student in the math program enroll at MIT in the first place if their math department was so much better than any other he surveyed?

Why do student athletes enter the transfer portal today?   Probably two reasons:  playing time and coaching changes.

Unrelated topic but I read a fascinating story about the MIT/Harvard basketball rivalry on vacation recently and a small group of MIT students make the short trek when the two teams meet and have even been accused of yelling “safety school” to the Crimson faithful.

Carry on.

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Missing the point, which is: whatever the reason, he can transfer and it would not be viewed the same way as an athlete entering the transfer portal .. even though the reasons may be very similar.

27 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Athletics reflect society in microcosm. In general, the paradigm is different for young people today than it was for our generation. When I got out of law school, the paradigm in private practice was find a firm you liked, and that liked you. Work hard as an associate so you can make partner. Once you do, you’re invested in the firm, and the track was to stay there until you were ready to retire. Today, however, it is extremely rare to find a young lawyer who has been out of law school for 5 years and hadn’t had a couple of jobs. Our society is at an unprecedented time in terms of access to information and mobility. Why shouldn’t athletics be the same way? No one would bat an eye if the smartest student in the math program decided to transfer to MIT because their math department was better. What’s the difference?

😂

There it is.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

If I head to "Negativetown", some reasons may include:

Path of least resistance

Inflated feelings of their own abilities

Difficulty in accepting feedback

Work ethic - personal feeling of entitlement

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Missing the point, which is: whatever the reason, he can transfer and it would not be viewed the same way as an athlete entering the transfer portal .. even though the reasons may be very similar.

Not sure if he is missing the point......

Not everyone entering the transfer portal is "transferring up".  I would say most transfers are perceived lateral or even transferring down.

24 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Not sure if he is missing the point......

Not everyone entering the transfer portal is "transferring up".  I would say most transfers are perceived lateral or even transferring down.

Definitely agree. My question is why is the transfer portal considered so revolutionary, when it simply goes along with what is happening in our society in general?

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Definitely agree. My question is why is the transfer portal considered so revolutionary, when it simply goes along with what is happening in our society in general?

Which is not positive.  Society has serious commitment issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

If I head to "Negativetown", some reasons may include:

Path of least resistance

Inflated feelings of their own abilities

Difficulty in accepting feedback

Work ethic - personal feeling of entitlement

...... and all could be put under the "playing time" category.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Because, changing the meaning of the word “commitment” on the fly is lowering the bar and throwing up the white flag?

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

Because, changing the meaning of the word “commitment” on the fly is lowering the bar and throwing up the white flag?

Continuing, though all situations are unique, and coaches should not be exempt though they often are, this teaches our young people in the wrong lesson more often than not.

I for one cannot just simply accept the fact that this is a boulder rolling downhill and we should stay out of its way and not attempt to stop it.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

this teaches our young people in the wrong lesson more often than not.

If college — including athletics — is intended to prepare young people for life after college, why shouldn’t student athletes have the same mobility options as people out in the world? It’s all about self-determination. If you’re going to try and keep athletics separate from real life, well … you should change your screen name to Sisyphus. 😉

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

If college — including athletics — is intended to prepare young people for life after college, why shouldn’t student athletes have the same mobility options as people out in the world? It’s all about self-determination. If you’re going to try and keep athletics separate from real life, well … you should change your screen name to Sisyphus. 😉

Because these KIDS (they are still kids in most cases) are making emotionally driven decisions and are running from adversity.

The analogy of changing jobs just doesn’t fit as the shady world of college athletics/recruiting doesn’t mirror society in most cases.

You show me a completely honest/transparent coach in an NCAA revenue sport and I’ll show you a coach looking for a new job themselves sooner rather than later.

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

Because these KIDS (they are still kids in most cases) are making emotionally driven decisions and are running from adversity.

The analogy of changing jobs just doesn’t fit as the shady world of college athletics/recruiting doesn’t mirror society in most cases.

You show me a completely honest/transparent coach in an NCAA revenue sport and I’ll show you a coach looking for a new job themselves sooner rather than later.

So, we need to protect these kids from themselves … even though they are free to monetize their athletic prowess. That sort of paternalism doesn’t fly in 2021. Sounds a bit like a restraint of trade to me.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

So, we need to protect these kids from themselves … even though they are free to monetize their athletic prowess. That sort of paternalism doesn’t fly in 2021. Sounds a bit like a restraint of trade to me.

Willing to bet most folks on this board were not making rational financial decisions upon graduating from high school…

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

All these benefits (playing a sport, traveling the world, NIL, free agency, “free” clothing, books, food, housing, etc) AND the most important is being tossed in the trash…..education.