Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Doyel: The transfer portal is fair, just — and completely out of control

Muda69

14 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

Curt Flood proved many years ago it’s all about $$ and control. It has just taken this many years to trickle down to high school and college athletics. 
If a coach can move from school to school or team to team at will then the student/athlete should have the same freedom. 
It is hypocrisy to require the student/athlete to be held to a “commitment” while allowing a team/coach/school to change their decision/commitment at will. 
The NCAA does not have a legal/moral leg to stand on with their control of an athlete changing schools when the everyday student can change schools much easier. 
The IHSAA can claim they are acting in the best interest of the student/athlete, but we all know that transfers are approved based on financial/political connections. 

For me, I do not disagree one bit. I’m saying facts get left out all the time of what they get. Which I’ve already explained. College athletics is academics first. If not. Then some billionaires should think about creating g leagues for football or instituting the college baseball rules. 

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

How many? Do you have any documentation that confirms this? I have seen no first hand evidence of this personally, nor have I heard any evidence of this from the many college-bound athletes I personally know. 

Correct. So are there schools who are compromising their admittance standards to allow athletes in? Where can one find this list, I may need it next year.

I lived through the recruiting process as well for a child....I know what I heard in rooms about meeting NCAA minimums for admission.  Had the process of banding around the mean student admission acceptance criteria explained at Ivy League schools and know first hand while still high standards, football players go through a different application review process at the service academies than a general admission applicant.

Perhaps this is more for revenue generating sports....but since this is a football forum, talking that sport only from personal experience.

Lots of info out there about this....use your fav search engine.

24 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Had the process of banding around the mean student admission acceptance criteria explained at Ivy League schools and know first hand while still high standards, football players go through a different application review process at the service academies than a general admission applicant.

I'm not really sure we can determine from these 2 examples what I am asking since Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships, and the service academies aren't  your typical Colleges due to the commitment to serve in the Armed Forces after graduation.

4 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I'm not really sure we can determine from these 2 examples what I am asking since Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships, and the service academies aren't  your typical Colleges due to the commitment to serve in the Armed Forces after graduation.

LOL at asking the question and not liking the answer…

Come on @Bash Riprock…we need analysis from every conference member in the FBS…so lazy.

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

Isn’t it a bit presumptuous for you to be deciding what’s most important for someone else? Someone whose circumstances may be radically different from what you view as the norm? Somehow, I just can’t square that with the philosophy of personal liberty and individual freedom of choice you’ve espoused when pushing your right wing political agenda over on the OOB. It’s quite the paradox.

Don’t bring logical consistency into this lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DE said:

Hiding like @gonzoronbehind a screen name.  I'm sticking with 3rd string punter.

You give off big school shooter vibes so there’s no way I’d give you my real name lmao. Your biggest accomplishment in this game is holding the clipboard on the sideline of a state game your team lost…you have no room to talk about other people’s abilities 🤣🤣

Edited by scarab527
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

You give off big school shooter vibes so there’s no way I’d give you my real name lmao. Your biggest accomplishment in this game is holding the clipboard on the sideline of a state game your team lost…you have no room to talk about other people’s abilities 🤣🤣

So 3rd string punter/water boy/fluffer.  Got it.  ✌️

17 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Believe what you want to believe....go back and re-read.  Do you really think the Ivy's and the academies were talking to parents about NCAA minimums for admission???  C'mon.

Yes, the Ivy's do not give athletic scholarships....but they still have admission requirements....and those are absolutely flexed around "bands". (at our time, 4 different bands A-D around the mean admission standards) Additionally, the Ivy's absolutely work around not providing athletic scholarships through "aid".....this I know firsthand.  That aid can be substantial based upon the recruit.

To be clear...I am not saying ALL institutions or for ALL sports.  My experience was with football recruiting....and that included a number of state and private institutions.

I'm not trying to sell you. Go out and get your own experiences.

Edited by Bash Riprock

17 hours ago, temptation said:

LOL at asking the question and not liking the answer…

Come on @Bash Riprock…we need analysis from every conference member in the FBS…so lazy.

I'll try to do better....BTW, I didn't just reference service academies and Ivy's.  Anyone going through the recruiting process will understand the school is neither when they talk to a room full of parents about meeting the NCAA minimums.  I don't ever remember our non-athlete children going on college visits and us being talked to about just meeting NCAA minimum criteria for admittance.  🙄

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Believe what you want to believe....go back and re-read.  Do you really think the Ivy's and the academies were talking to parents about NCAA minimums for admission???  C'mon.

Yes, the Ivy's do not give athletic scholarships....but they still have admission requirements....and those are absolutely flexed around a "bands".  Additionally, the Ivy's absolutely work around not providing athletic scholarships through "aid".....this I know firsthand.

To be clear...I am not saying ALL institutions or for ALL sports.  My experience was with football recruiting....and that included a number of state and private institutions.

I'm not trying to sell you. Go out and get your own experiences.

Thread is about the transfer portal. Service Academies gain 0 athletes who transfer in. Ivy League had 3 from 2012-2018. Not really relevant to the subject at hand.  

I still think the transfer portal is being abused/used so much right now due to the extra year of eligibility. Past statistics show that most of those who did transfer didn't really improve their situation in regard to winning more games.

1 minute ago, gonzoron said:

Thread is about the transfer portal. Service Academies gain 0 athletes who transfer in. Ivy League had 3 from 2012-2018. Not really relevant to the subject at hand.  

I still think the transfer portal is being abused/used so much right now due to the extra year of eligibility. Past statistics show that most of those who did transfer didn't really improve their situation in regard to winning more games.

I understand the thread.  Academies loose athletes every year through the portal.

You challenged my comments on admissions....just shared my experiences that you still wished to debate.  

I never disagreed your theory about the additional Covid year.  Not saying I agree or disagree.  Only time will tell I guess.

32 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't ever remember our non-athlete children going on college visits and us being talked to about just meeting NCAA minimum criteria for admittance. 

There is a simple answer for that. They weren't athletes.