Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Fridays? Thursdays? Saturdays? What's the answer?

Moshiner1345

Question

I'm seeing daily emails regarding Friday night games not having a crew for this season. On Eventlink I see 10 games currently without a full crew.  Many games with individuals linking-up to officiate for the first time together. Football officiating is very positional, meaning each position has a specific job on the play and a specific place to look. As a white hat myself, I have to trust my crew they are looking in the correct area. Does the group feel it's better to move these games to a different day (Thursday or Saturday) or carry on with thrown together individuals? Thoughts?   

My crew recently picked up a Saturday game, which one of our members won't be able to be at. After the work week, maybe some underclass games, being gone all of Friday, it's hard to be away from family on Saturday as well. I think it is a temporary fix, not a long term solution. 

I think the patch crews are going to have to get their development in, better to have subpar officiating than no game at all, IMO. 

14 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Strongly disagree.

I too am curious what the stance is on this statement. I'm not insinuating that "thrown together" crews would necessarily be sub-par, but they definitely would not have the experience and comfort level with other crew members as established crews would have. In the time of the original post (49 minutes ago) and now, I have seen 2 other e-mails come across. Both mentioned needing week 1 crews. This is a serious issue.

2 minutes ago, Moshiner1345 said:

they definitely would not have the experience and comfort level with other crew members as established crews would have.

Just that, I didn't mean BAD officiating, but it's obvious schools are going to have to take what they can get. That would be a good question for an AD, would you rather have a patch crew or cancel the game? 

10 minutes ago, 5GetsYou1 said:

Just that, I didn't mean BAD officiating, but it's obvious schools are going to have to take what they can get. That would be a good question for an AD, would you rather have a patch crew or cancel the game? 

What is another word for subpar?

Need synonyms for subpar? Here's a list of similar words from our thesaurus that you can use instead.

Not up to an expected or required quality or standard

inferior, poor, substandard, deficient, dissatisfactory, lousy, paltry, suboptimal, unacceptable,wretched crummy, lame, unsatisfactory, bad, crumby inadequate, shoddy, mediocre, second-rate

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 5GetsYou1 said:

I know the AD's answer will be to have a patch crew for one game. There's a LOT of revenue in Friday night, and canceling the game (or moving it to Thursday/Saturday) is really disruptive. 

Welcome to the "new normal".   A lot of us (officials) have been saying for quite some time, that schools need to start looking for 'alternative' game days NOW!!!  Rather than later.

Also, with the advent of 8-man football.....I've said to the HILLS:  "Play these games on a Wednesday night". 

There is no way they will be able shoe-horn themselves into the current system and play on a consistent basis Thursday-Saturday, with the dearth of officials that exists. 

I have told numerous schools that have inquired (current season[s])....  "What about Thursday night games?  What about Saturday night games?"   CRICKETS!   

I guess they feel that the 'game' isn't integral to the quality of officiating that they 'could' have...  I feel that the 3rd team on the field is PRIMARY to the ability of those student-athletes' experience in this (and any other) extra-curricular activity. 

It (officiating) should not be viewed as an 'aside'.....  If this is the 'new normal'.... Lord help us!  Players deserve a better attempt by AD's in providing quality, rather than just WARM-BODIES... tossing flags, etc.    

On 8/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

You guys think we’re short now, wait till those 1099’s start showing up from EL next January. 

I hope having to report officiating income is not a deterrent to doing this. I've been reporting my income since I started. Not doing it doesn't say much for the integrity of the official. Especially since once you factor in mileage, dues, clinics, and equipment you usually have very literal income to report.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I hope having to report officiating income is not a deterrent to doing this. I've been reporting my income since I started. Not doing it doesn't say much for the integrity of the official. Especially since once you factor in mileage, dues, clinics, and equipment you usually have very literal income to report.

I made no statements regarding the reporting or non-reporting of income. I just said what I said. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I made no statements regarding the reporting or non-reporting of income. I just said what I said. 

Why else would anyone care if they get a 1099? It actually makes it easier. I don't have to keep track of my weekly checks (other than to verify the 1099 is right). I know a lot of officials who don't report income.

On 8/9/2022 at 3:06 PM, gonzoron said:

What is another word for subpar?

Need synonyms for subpar? Here's a list of similar words from our thesaurus that you can use instead.

Not up to an expected or required quality or standard

inferior, poor, substandard, deficient, dissatisfactory, lousy, paltry, suboptimal, unacceptable,wretched crummy, lame, unsatisfactory, bad, crumby inadequate, shoddy, mediocre, second-rate

Exactly my sentiment with the situation that ADs seem to have settled upon...

My humble opinion on this topic:

Alternate days will have to be the norm until the current trend in declining officials population is resolved.

Also, "patchwork" crews aren't necessarily sub-par.  The Central Officials Assn in Illinois used to assign HS game to officials by position.  That organization produced some of the most skilled officials in the nation:  Bill Lemonnier, Dan Capron, Jerry Markbreit, Bob (Bobref) Parker - to name just a few.  The only reason they started organizing crews is that only crews advance at playoff time in most states and Illinois is no exception.

Still though, the current football administration's efforts led by Robert Faulkins could be a good start.  Standardized education for all officials seems to be working pretty well lately.The football mechanics manual "Football Officials' Crew 5-person Mechanics and Best Practices" is a living document and is helping to ensure evenly officiated contests. 

Also as grizzled veterans, we need to help recruit new people.  We can help inspire young men and women to become as passionate about the sport as we all are.  Maybe stop in on Saturdays & Sundays at pee-wee sites to see who might be an interesting candidate for our avocation.  Coaches, dads, high school kids.  Let's try to get 'em all involved. 

It won't happen overnight, but if we can convice the schedulers to use alternate days and bring in one new official each, this can turn around in a few years. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, snrmike said:

My humble opinion on this topic:

Alternate days will have to be the norm until the current trend in declining officials population is resolved.

Also, "patchwork" crews aren't necessarily sub-par.  The Central Officials Assn in Illinois used to assign HS game to officials by position.  That organization produced some of the most skilled officials in the nation:  Bill Lemonnier, Dan Capron, Jerry Markbreit, Bob (Bobref) Parker - to name just a few.  The only reason they started organizing crews is that only crews advance at playoff time in most states and Illinois is no exception.

Still though, the current football administration's efforts led by Robert Faulkins could be a good start.  Standardized education for all officials seems to be working pretty well lately.The football mechanics manual "Football Officials' Crew 5-person Mechanics and Best Practices" is a living document and is helping to ensure evenly officiated contests. 

Also as grizzled veterans, we need to help recruit new people.  We can help inspire young men and women to become as passionate about the sport as we all are.  Maybe stop in on Saturdays & Sundays at pee-wee sites to see who might be an interesting candidate for our avocation.  Coaches, dads, high school kids.  Let's try to get 'em all involved. 

It won't happen overnight, but if we can convice the schedulers to use alternate days and bring in one new official each, this can turn around in a few years. 

I wish that I could up vote this post 1K times.  Absolutely on point and an understanding of the current situation!

Is this the answer to the shortage, an untapped resource? From a Facebook post:

🏈 This is significant! On August 26, Mississippi high school football history will be made. SuperTalk Mississippi News reports the state’s first-ever all-female referee crew will officiate a game between (Jackson) Murrah High and Cleveland Central.
“This opportunity is absolutely monumental as it is a positive step in the right direction. Women have always wanted a seat at the table. I’ve been told, early in my career as a baseball umpire and football referee, ‘They’re not ready to see a woman in these sports!’ Why limit us?” Referee Adrienne Barnes asked adding, “Men officiate women’s sports, so why can’t women officiate men’s sports? If we have to take the bruises to open doors for more women, this is the crew to do it.”

Rounding out the crew with Barnes, who will serve as referee, are the following:

Sarah Fleming – Umpire
Sherri Vaughans – Head Line Judge
Fran Adams – Line Judge
Felicia Davis – Side Judge
Alona Alexander – Field Judge
Dominique Sutton – Back Judge
Phylicia Cotten – 40s Clock
Constance Clark – Electronic Clock Operator
Tamika Lipsey – Chain Crew
Timika Morris – Chain Crew
Charmaine Smith – Chain Crew

image.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

🏈 This is significant! On August 26, Mississippi high school football history will be made. SuperTalk Mississippi News reports the state’s first-ever all-female referee crew will officiate a game between (Jackson) Murrah High and Cleveland Central.
“This opportunity is absolutely monumental as it is a positive step in the right direction. Women have always wanted a seat at the table. I’ve been told, early in my career as a baseball umpire and football referee, ‘They’re not ready to see a woman in these sports!’ Why limit us?” Referee Adrienne Barnes asked adding, “Men officiate women’s sports, so why can’t women officiate men’s sports? If we have to take the bruises to open doors for more women, this is the crew to do it.”

Rounding out the crew with Barnes, who will serve as referee, are the following:

Sarah Fleming – Umpire
Fran Adams – Line Judge

image.png

Would be a welcome addition to all sports!

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 9:25 AM, Bobref said:

Sarah Fleming – Umpire
Fran Adams – Line Judge

image.png

This could be a huge source of help in addressing this issue. We have half our population we haven't tapped into yet. There is nothing about this that makes it easier for men than women to do. Size is not an issue as there are several small male officials. Having played the game is not an issue as I know several very good officials who never played. We need to find a way to market this to women and get more involved.

1 minute ago, JustRules said:

This could be a huge source of help in addressing this issue. We have half our population we haven't tapped into yet. There is nothing about this that makes it easier for men than women to do. Size is not an issue as there are several small male officials. Having played the game is not an issue as I know several very good officials who never played. We need to find a way to market this to women and get more involved.

Could not agree more. We’ve had a female official in the Super Bowl! I’m going to suggest that local association football chairs get with their chairs for women’s sports, and try to cross-sell football to women who already officiate other sports. I think that would yield the quickest results.

• Like 1

Man, I don't know.  We desperately need more officials.  With inflation (gas prices) and dealing with fans that get worse every year, it's a hard problem to fix.  I will say this though, I have seen an improvement in coaches over the last 2 years and how they treat officials.  They understand the issue.

1 hour ago, FBO said:

Man, I don't know.  We desperately need more officials.  With inflation (gas prices) and dealing with fans that get worse every year, it's a hard problem to fix.  I will say this though, I have seen an improvement in coaches over the last 2 years and how they treat officials.  They understand the issue.

I will say in the time I have been officiating coaches have become more professional in general. Keeping in mind I cut my teeth during the Bob Knight Era and the subtle art of working the officials to get a call late in the game. I believe coaches and officials alike are more professional and honestly it makes games run so much smoother. 

20 hours ago, FBO said:

They have their own shortage issues so they get it. They still get heated during games because it's emotional and they put so much into it. We put time into it, but we our livelihood is not based on the actions or decisions of 16-17 year olds. One thing we can do better as officials is communication with coaches. Anticipate what they may want before they want it. For example, at the start of a series late in the half, let your coach know you will look to him after every play in case he wants to call a time out.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:25 AM, Bobref said:

Sarah Fleming – Umpire
Fran Adams – Line Judge

image.png

I’m hoping that with girls wrestling becoming more and more popular that might help with wrestling officiating too.  In watching state last year, there are a lot of top quality referees that have to be close to wanting to retire.