Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How Many Freshmen? Full Freshman Schedule or C Team?

21 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Oak Hill in Ohio posted about its 60-player strong freshman football team.

How big is your freshman squad? Does funding impact how many players you can keep? What is the best non-varsity formula to fill the depth charts? 

I believe Harrison's freshman squad is somewhere around 55 or so ... maybe a bit more.  I don't think there's any limit on freshman due to funding.  LCC doesn't have a freshman squad ... just JV and varsity.  Jeff has a freshman squad as well as JV and varsity. 

Youth program at Harrison this year is pretty big too ... just under 60 in 3rd/4th and a bit over 90 in 5th/6th in a self-contained youth league.  Jeff also has a decent-sized youth program too although I don't know the numbers off the top of my head.  They tend to have 9-10 teams with 3rd-6th and around 12-15 kids per team.  LCC likely has a 3rd/4th grade team and a 5th/6th grade team each with probably around 18 kids based on historical team sizes.

6 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Oak Hill in Ohio posted about its 60-player strong freshman football team. 

How big is your freshman squad? Does funding impact how many players you can keep? What is the best non-varsity formula to fill the depth charts? 

Former East Central coach Justin Roden running the show there. He & New Pal's Kyle Ralph were on the same staff as assistants at Oak Hills before Roden returned as head coach. 

• Like 1

We are feeling pretty good this year with 21 freshman--20 on the roster as 1 is playing varsity.  

20 is a pretty good number for a public 3A.  

With that said, when you get smaller than 4A, a freshman team can become difficult to schedule.  Half of our freshman schedule is made up of odd teams because so many smaller schools don't have freshman teams.  Except for the private schools where 40% to 50% of the males are playing football...for example, our freshman have Mater Dei on the schedule.  Only 3 of our freshman games are PAC schools.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

We are feeling pretty good this year with 21 freshman--20 on the roster as 1 is playing varsity.  

20 is a pretty good number for a public 3A.  

With that said, when you get smaller than 4A, a freshman team can become difficult to schedule.  Half of our freshman schedule is made up of odd teams because so many smaller schools don't have freshman teams.  Except for the private schools where 40% to 50% of the males are playing football...for example, our freshman have Mater Dei on the schedule.  Only 3 of our freshman games are PAC schools.

Another important question - when do your freshmen play? Saturday, Monday, or Thursday?  

I think the SIAC has adopted the Thursday BEFORE the varsity game the next night.  Which is the absolute worst day possible, IMO.

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Another important question - when do your freshmen play? Saturday, Monday, or Thursday?  

I think the SIAC has adopted the Thursday BEFORE the varsity game the next night.  Which is the absolute worst day possible, IMO.

Depends. About half of our opponents play JV/frosh on Monday nights (mostly, a few in our conference) and the other half play Saturday mornings. Seems the early part of the schedule is mostly played on Saturdays and the latter half is played on Mondays. 

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Thursday for all but 2 games which are on Saturday, that is because of travel.

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I agree. The SIAC should do Frosh/JV double header on Monday and 7th/8th grade on Thursday, both the week after varsity plays. 

• Like 1