Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mt. Vernon (Posey) (4-2) at Gibson Southern (6-0)

This game will be televised as the Home Team Friday Game of the Week.

Mount Vernon (Posey) (4-2) at Gibson Southern (6-0)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Jewell Field.
COACHES: Luke Messmer, 17-7 in 3rd year at Mount Vernon. Nick Hart, 111-20 in 11th year at Gibson Southern.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Gibson Southern, 76.95, 41st overall, 6th in 3A. Mount Vernon, 54.9, 126th overall, 25th in 3A.
LAST OUTING: Mount Vernon lost to Boonville, 32-20. Gibson Southern defeated Heritage Hills, 32-14.
VS. COMMON FOES: Mount Vernon 0-1; Gibson Southern 1-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Mount Vernon 12-23. Gibson Southern 15-15.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Tied, 8-8
LAST MEETING: Gibson Southern, 49-16, Oct. 22, 2021, sectional.
jh PREDICTION: Gibson Southern, 42-17.

All-time Series:
Mount Vernon vs. Gibson Southern

Date   Result   Series
10-18-1974 Mount Vernon 14 - 27 Gibson Southern 0-1
10-17-1975 Mount Vernon 0 - 15 Gibson Southern 0-2
10-15-1976 Mount Vernon 12 - 28 Gibson Southern 0-3
10-14-1977 Mount Vernon 0 - 21 Gibson Southern 0-4
10-13-1978 Mount Vernon 0 - 26 Gibson Southern 0-5
10-12-1979 Mount Vernon 15 - 34 Gibson Southern 0-6
10-10-1980 Mount Vernon 13 - 28 Gibson Southern 0-7
10-16-1981 Mount Vernon 7 - 30 Gibson Southern 0-8
10-15-1982 Mount Vernon 25 - 29 Gibson Southern 0-9
10-07-1983 Mount Vernon 6 - 21 Gibson Southern 0-10
10-05-1984 Mount Vernon 0 - 29 Gibson Southern 0-11
10-11-1985 Mount Vernon 0 - 53 Gibson Southern 0-12
10-10-1986 Mount Vernon 25 - 7 Gibson Southern 1-12
10-24-1986 Mount Vernon 7 - 9 Gibson Southern 1-13
10-09-1987 Mount Vernon 20 - 7 Gibson Southern 2-13
10-07-1988 Mount Vernon 13 - 16 Gibson Southern 2-14
10-06-1989 Mount Vernon 34 - 0 Gibson Southern 3-14
10-05-1990 Mount Vernon 47 - 0 Gibson Southern 4-14
10-11-1991 Mount Vernon 14 - 7 Gibson Southern 5-14
10-09-1992 Mount Vernon 15 - 22 Gibson Southern 5-15
08-22-1997 Mount Vernon 49 - 7 Gibson Southern 6-15
08-21-1998 Mount Vernon 2 - 26 Gibson Southern 6-16
08-20-1999 Mount Vernon 7 - 28 Gibson Southern 6-17
10-29-1999 Mount Vernon 42 - 7 Gibson Southern 7-17
08-18-2000 Mount Vernon 35 - 0 Gibson Southern 8-17
10-22-2010 Mount Vernon 35 - 21 Gibson Southern 9-17
10-19-2012 Mount Vernon 21 - 49 Gibson Southern 9-18
10-31-2014 Mount Vernon 13 - 57 Gibson Southern 9-19
10-01-2021 Mount Vernon 6 - 54 Gibson Southern 9-20
10-22-2021 Mount Vernon 16 - 49 Gibson Southern 9-21

Gibson Southern leads the all time series 21-9

CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings
PROJECT A MATCHUP
neutral field
[2022] Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) 42, [2022] Mt. Vernon (IN) 13

image.thumb.png.61f199b9ccc31b2497c12f2cad5a9c97.png

image.thumb.png.076befb09d1f82c4824b2427f4ef8b9e.png

Edited by Titan32

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Weird 

I was surprised it was the game of the week to begin with.  Every camera is going to be at the Reitz/memorial game and we all know it 

WEHT is carrying the Henderson County game. All Memorial games are streamed on Indiana SRN.

8 hours ago, tango said:

WEHT is carrying the Henderson County game. All Memorial games are streamed on Indiana SRN.

It originally had our game on the list.  My understanding is an agreement was never come to regarding a contract.

Edited by Titan32

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

I'd be surprised if this game is close. MV might score a few times since they do have a few playmakers, but GS should be able to name their score.

Maybe.  GS needs to figure out how to finish off drives.  Team is doing great but one notable difference lately has been the offense getting the redzone and for one reason or another they can’t score. It’s been something that Coach Hart has talked about this year as something they need to improve on still.

Defensively….I really like where this defense sits right now.  DL is making huge plays…LBs are doing their jobs.  DBs coming up big and also showing up in the run game making huge stops on the outside.  

3 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Maybe.  GS needs to figure out how to finish off drives.  Team is doing great but one notable difference lately has been the offense getting the redzone and for one reason or another they can’t score. It’s been something that Coach Hart has talked about this year as something they need to improve on still.

Defensively….I really like where this defense sits right now.  DL is making huge plays…LBs are doing their jobs.  DBs coming up big and also showing up in the run game making huge stops on the outside.  

What about those front 4 you got on the D-Line....dude.   They are excellent.

59 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

What about those front 4 you got on the D-Line....dude.   They are excellent.

They are all playing great and the rotation coming in also pretty dang good.  The freshman is so impressive. Grew up with his older brother and that family sat right in front of me in church…just a great family and he’s been ahead of his age physically for years and now it’s really showing

GS hasn’t updated their stats yet on maxpreps, but coming into this week the freshman led the team with 11 TFL through the first 5 games and I’m pretty sure he added a sack and a few more  this last week.  

i mean..I don’t want to talk too much about him considering he is like 14/15 and just a freshman….but dang…against the schedule GS has played….kid has proved 10x over already that he earned that spot on varsity

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Funny stuff from a guy that’s not seen a live game and is listening to a radio broadcast that’s not familiar with broadcasting football games. 

7 minutes ago, TitanFootball said:

Funny stuff from a guy that’s not seen a live game and is listening to a radio broadcast that’s not familiar with broadcasting football games. 

Oh sorry I’ll just go die and stop following this team even though I’ve listened to every single game that I wasn’t able to attend over the last 10 years….I’ve also listened to every Nick Hart show during that time, have read probably every newspaper article….I even pay for the courier press simply to follow Indiana football and the team.

It’s probably a bit much but it’s a simple passive hobby that makes me happy. Shoot me for not driving 500 miles one way every Friday and opting to just watch highlights on Twitter/hudl while listening to the game on whichever station has the clearest broadcast (it’s not always 89.1)

also damn me for repeating some observations that others on here have witnessed in person that have been discussed with me in private conversations.  I guess if it’s not from their mouth and just repeated out of mine it’s no good

last thing….Coach Hart quite literally said the quote above this week discussing how there were 3 times in the first half of the HH game that they couldn’t convert for a score.  

so funny right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanFootball said:

I don't think Dumfries was knocking the O or anyone on it, just noting some things that Coach has said also. The offense has been performing really, really well and we all can see how close the boys on that side of the ball are getting to being unstoppable. I think it is a shared yearning for their success, not a criticism of the boys.

A defense has less to worry about in getting a squad clicking, so I think that is why that side of the ball is looking better at this point, given everyone's experience. Relatively speaking, a cake walk compared to getting the offense firing on all cylinders. The O has so many more moving parts to get right. It isn't out of the ordinary to take a little more time to get everything figured out, especially when so many were on the sidelines all last year, just champing at the bit to get in, grinding out scout team and JV reps.

The important thing is they are winning and, more importantly, I think they'll be near or at 100% in late October and November when it counts. They've been tested in the first half of the season and performed admirably when it was gut check time. The O hasn't faltered when it has mattered and, frankly, performed above and beyond where many thought they'd be. I knew they'd be as good as advertised, but then again I've been watching this crew for, oh... a decade or so already 😀

Edited by Esso Ayche
Gramma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

I don't think Dumfries was knocking the O or anyone on it, just noting some things that Coach has said also. The offense has been performing really, really well and we all can see how close the boys on that side of the ball are getting to being unstoppable. I think it is a shared yearning for their success, not a criticism of the boys.

A defense has less to worry about in getting a squad clicking, so I think that is why that side of the ball is looking better at this point, given everyone's experience. Relatively speaking, a cake walk compared to getting the offense firing on all cylinders. The O has so many more moving parts to get right. It isn't out of the ordinary to take a little more time to get everything figured out, especially when so many were on the sidelines all last year, just champing at the bit to get in, grinding out scout team and JV reps.

The important thing is they are winning and, more importantly, I think they'll be near or at 100% in late October and November when it counts. They've been tested in the first half of the season and performed admirably when it was gut check time. The O hasn't faltered when it has mattered and, frankly, performed above and beyond where many thought they'd be. I knew they'd be as good as advertised, but then again I've been watching this crew for, oh... a decade or so already 😀

We’ll said @Esso Ayche 👏👏  Kinda like Monday night football. CeecD wide open Rush hits him in stride, oops thru the hands. Wasn’t really knocking you @DumfriesYMCAbut they have been finishing. 6-0 baby! Does it have to be pretty all the time…… nope! I really do enjoy reading your posts so keep them coming. 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 5:08 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

They are all playing great and the rotation coming in also pretty dang good.  The freshman is so impressive. Grew up with his older brother and that family sat right in front of me in church…just a great family and he’s been ahead of his age physically for years and now it’s really showing

GS hasn’t updated their stats yet on maxpreps, but coming into this week the freshman led the team with 11 TFL through the first 5 games and I’m pretty sure he added a sack and a few more  this last week.  

i mean..I don’t want to talk too much about him considering he is like 14/15 and just a freshman….but dang…against the schedule GS has played….kid has proved 10x over already that he earned that spot on varsity

Coming back to this. He had 5 TFLs and 1 sack Friday.  Puts him at 16 on the year with 3 sacks. What a monster 

im pretty sure his older brother set the record for GS on TFL in 2013 with 27 as a sophomore before putting up 28 in 2015 as a senior.  Who knows how close he can get before the season ends for GS, but either way through 6 games this is insanely impressive for any player let alone a freshman 

• Like 1

Box Score

FDCEA59C-F779-4105-9A4A-CD3234562C4D.thumb.jpeg.735390b3c6a0be90deb3bf7dcfdabcc3.jpeg

908AC7EF-A2C2-41E3-B52A-AB4073F7F927.thumb.jpeg.31b61032284c30ce90822dec91814eae.jpeg

This defense is really starting to click and come together. Mt Vernon was held to negative rushing yards through the first half and it wasn’t until after the running clock was put on that they had a minor breakthrough and got off a few good runs to bring it from -17 yards to 63.

DL had a big night led by Tye Whitledge who had at least 1 sack and a few TFLs in the 1st half. 

In other news….Devan Roberts is having one helluva senior year. 4 more TDs tonight bringing his total to 17 TDs through 7 games 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Box Score

FDCEA59C-F779-4105-9A4A-CD3234562C4D.thumb.jpeg.735390b3c6a0be90deb3bf7dcfdabcc3.jpeg

908AC7EF-A2C2-41E3-B52A-AB4073F7F927.thumb.jpeg.31b61032284c30ce90822dec91814eae.jpeg

This defense is really starting to click and come together. Mt Vernon was held to negative rushing yards through the first half and it wasn’t until after the running clock was put on that they had a minor breakthrough and got off a few good runs to bring it from -17 yards to 63.

DL had a big night led by Tye Whitledge who had at least 1 sack and a few TFLs in the 1st half. 

In other news….Devan Roberts is having one helluva senior year. 4 more TDs tonight bringing his total to 17 TDs through 7 games 

I think the DL is doing their normal DL things. And the LBs are doing their LB things, DBs doing their DB things. They've been pretty lights outs, tbh. The satisfying thing for me is that the O looks to be connecting like we've been expecting for a game like this, which also helps out the D. ...which helps the O.  ... that stuff.

The offense is getting better at settling into that dual-threat thing we all know and love. QB 10 knows when to pull and when to not. 26 is taking the "nots" for big gouges, plus. The ball gets out to 14 and 9 when it should. 2 is all over the place between rushes, passes, and returns. Plus the only two-way player, I think.

There are still things to clean up (aren't there always?), but personally I'm happy with how things were executed on both sides of the ball tonight.

MV has some athletes, as I've previously said. They can certainly make plays. I just haven't seen anything yet that puts them in a position to get through S30. I know, I know, tonight's score does not mean diddly squat come October. But I've not been sold on the MV snake oil for the past couple of years, and I've not seen anything to change my mind to date. 

I always wish our PAC brethren the best (until they face GS, of course), and I hope they can get and sustain success. They have the players, it appears they have the community support, so I don't know what is holding them back at this point.

• Like 2