Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Big Ten...or how many?

Gipper

Although they were not added yet, the Big Ten conference will be scouting the Universities or Oregon and Washington for membership.   Although this would destroy the PAC-12 as we know it, our league would only grow stronger.  If you can stand the hippies and homeless people (in  addition to some whacked out people), bot Eugene and Seattle are great places to see games.  Sure, UO has that abysmal basketball court, but their football stadium is rather nice.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gipper said:

Although they were not added yet, the Big Ten conference will be scouting the Universities or Oregon and Washington for membership.   Although this would destroy the PAC-12 as we know it, our league would only grow stronger.  If you can stand the hippies and homeless people (in  addition to some whacked out people), bot Eugene and Seattle are great places to see games.  Sure, UO has that abysmal basketball court, but their football stadium is rather nice.

Still baffled why cal and Stanford arent above oregon Washington. Is solely based on football program strength?

24 minutes ago, Bobref said:

And will stand pat until the NCAA comes out and says you must be a conference member to make the playoffs and/or NBC pulls the plug on their exclusive media deal. 

10 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Still baffled why cal and Stanford arent above oregon Washington. Is solely based on football program strength?

They're in the mix, too, but the Huskies and Ducks (Nike U.) are bigger fish.  

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

It’s solely based on what will drive eyeballs to TV sets.

Indeed.  I also hear Arizona is close to joining the Big XII.  Too bad, because those are one of the PAC-12 schools I would have liked to the in the B1G, Tucson is a great place and U of A is an awesome school.  Especially basketball wise, I know football drives the bus, but there are also many sports that will also be heading west. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

And will stand pat until the NCAA comes out and says you must be a conference member to make the playoffs and/or NBC pulls the plug on their exclusive media deal. 

FYI ncaa has little or no input on college football playoffs it’s a separate entity. The ncaa money maker is March madness 

have you noticed there is no NCAA football champion in fbs? It’s the cfp champion

ncaa only controls fcs d2 and d3 football championships 

Edited by Whiting89

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Indeed.  I also hear Arizona is close to joining the Big XII.  Too bad, because those are one of the PAC-12 schools I would have liked to the in the B1G, Tucson is a great place and U of A is an awesome school.  Especially basketball wise, I know football drives the bus, but there are also many sports that will also be heading west. 

I was hoping for Arizona as well. I would have been fine with just Arizona and Oregon. Washington doesn't move the needle for me. They only seem invested in football and they can never sustain success. Similiar to Maryland, I would consider them an underachiever in basketball. Granted they don't have the crazy amount of HS talent that surrounds College Park; however, the Seattle area has been pumping out quality HS basketball recruits for a while and Washington has never been able to capitalize on it. At this point I'm hoping for Oregon or nothing. I rather take San Diego State and than Stanford or Cal. I rather take Ball State and Western Michigan than Stanford and Cal. No thanks to Stanford and Cal. 

13 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

FYI ncaa has little or no input on college football playoffs it’s a separate entity. The ncaa money maker is March madness 

have you noticed there is no NCAA football champion in fbs? It’s the cfp champion

ncaa only controls fcs d2 and d3 football championships 

Yeah, in the eyes of the NCAA, Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc. have ZERO National Titles in Football. They're all technically mythical. 

Edited by Boilernation

4 hours ago, Gipper said:

They're in the mix, too, but the Huskies and Ducks (Nike U.) are bigger fish.  

I agree...kinda.  If its about TV markets as well, not sure about Oregon and the Eugene area.  Seattle absolutely...I get the connection to Nike.

At the end of the day, I am not sure how this is really making the college game better.  Hopefully, smaller non-revenue sports don't get shutdown and they identify regional opportunities.  I don't believe for one second tennis, wrestling, soccer, volleyball, etc. teams are traveling across the country and playing games/matches in the middle of the week.

35 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't believe for one second tennis, wrestling, soccer, volleyball, etc. teams are traveling across the country and playing games/matches in the middle of the week.

My guess is for the sports that play multiple times a week you'll see extended trips. Say USC basketball is playing Rutgers in Piscataway on Thursday night, they'll be scheduled to play a school like Penn State or Maryland that Sat/Sun. Same when teams go out west. Purdue would play Oregon and Washington back to back before heading back East.

I get it's a pain, but with the new TV deal that's worth almost $100mil/yr, they can definitely pull it off. 

55 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

My guess is for the sports that play multiple times a week you'll see extended trips. Say USC basketball is playing Rutgers in Piscataway on Thursday night, they'll be scheduled to play a school like Penn State or Maryland that Sat/Sun. Same when teams go out west. Purdue would play Oregon and Washington back to back before heading back East.

I get it's a pain, but with the new TV deal that's worth almost $100mil/yr, they can definitely pull it off. 

So much for the life of the "student" athlete.  Just doesn't seem the right thing to do to send the women's field hockey team on a road trip...nor cost saavy.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

BTW, not disagreeing with you....hey, on the bright side, perhaps kids can sign up to some airline frequent flyer programs and rack up some miles.....

46 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

So much for the life of the "student" athlete.  Just doesn't seem the right thing to do to send the women's field hockey team on a road trip...nor cost saavy.

Guess what there is one free transfer per student athlete, if they don’t like the travel they can transfer 

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

At the end of the day, I am not sure how this is really making the college game better.

It doesn't.  And I think I'm pretty much done with D1 college football.  I'll stick with D3 and NAIA schools like Wabash, DePauw, Hanover, Taylor. etc.  They could use my meager contributions via game day ticket sales more than Purdue or IU.

Remember when every Big Ten member was from a state that bordered a Great Lake (except Iowa)? 

I think for a lot of fans, there is something to be said for "our area vs yours." Fort Wayne vs Indianapolis, Indianapolis vs Cincinnati, East vs West, North vs South, Big Ten vs SEC. What incentive does a fan from Indiana have to root for Oregon (B10) vs Tennessee (SEC)? Will a fan from the Big Ten remain loyal to the Big Ten in rooting for USC over Kentucky? I think when it comes down to it, I'll have a hard time cheering for west coast teams over the bible belt teams. Just one fan's perspective. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Remember when every Big Ten member was from a state that bordered a Great Lake (except Iowa)? 

I think for a lot of fans, there is something to be said for "our area vs yours." Fort Wayne vs Indianapolis, Indianapolis vs Cincinnati, East vs West, North vs South, Big Ten vs SEC. What incentive does a fan from Indiana have to root for Oregon (B10) vs Tennessee (SEC)? Will a fan from the Big Ten remain loyal to the Big Ten in rooting for USC over Kentucky? I think when it comes down to it, I'll have a hard time cheering for west coast teams over the bible belt teams. Just one fan's perspective. 

Agreed. Conferences used to be tied to an area that shares a lot of the same culture and identites. Now, it's a just a smorgasbord of geographic areas tied together in unison to maximize Revenue. Which is basically Football and Basketball telling the little sports that they follow their lead.  And it's only going to get worse. Florida State is strutting itself in public and begging the Big Ten or SEC to bring them in. I could see the SEC paying the fees for Florida State to break their GOR with the ACC. 

The seemingly obvious next move for the Big Ten is to secure the Northern Bay are with Cal and Stanford, which is a complete bore for spectators. I would prefer to see the Big Ten think outside the box in try luring white whales like Notre Dame and North Carolina. Acadamically, athletically and name brand wise those would be amazing additions to the BIg Ten.s