Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Center Grove at Cathedral

On 10/2/2023 at 9:25 AM, BDGiant93 said:

I saw Phantom...which was not Phantom of the Opera, but the story was similar.

I've seen Phantom of the Opera twice live and I have a recording of a London group on stage that's outstanding.  I need to get that out and watch it again!  I paid a lot more than $5 to see Phantom of the Opera.😉

Come to think about it, the first time I saw Phantom of the Opera was at Clowes Hall.  That's also on the Butler campus.

• Like 1

We can officially finally start talking about this one!

I am sure it will live up to the hype as always, maybe not as much two years ago when both teams undefeated and #1 in each of its class (Irish was 5A then) with the mud bowl at Arlington.

I didn't know this until looking at the team records but Cathedral is the last in-state team that has beaten Center Grove (last year final reg season game) since 2019.  LN had the lead against Center Grove last night going into halftime in what looked to be a pretty good game until Trojans pulled away late.  I personally think this will be low scoring game but we will see.

Regardless of this game Center Grove is a shoe-in for semi state.  Irish on the other hand will need to get by LN, Ben Davis / Brownsburg in sectional / potential regional so this game will be great lead-in to what is arguably going to be one of the toughest playoff schedules in recent memory?

On 10/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, Dave007 said:

Yes surprised not as much hype as I thought.  Looks like the rain forecast moved to Saturday so should be great fall night of Friday night football at the Butler Bowl!  Go Irish!

Nevermind... 85% percent change rain at 7PM.  Going to be a sloppy mess and expect running game from both teams.

18 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Nevermind... 85% percent change rain at 7PM.  Going to be a sloppy mess and expect running game from both teams.

Both QB’s put the ball in the air in some tough conditions and showed why they are the elite signal callers in the state. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Fun game. Wished the outcome was different, but highly entertaining nonetheless. Cathedral needs to figure out it’s pass D quick.

Both teams need some work in that area...although the pass D's were facing outstanding QB's and receivers.  CG needs focus on special teams.  A fumbled KO return along with 2 Cathedral recovered onside kicks lead to a bunch of Irish points due to extremely short fields. (17 pts I believe)  Heck, Cathedral would have recovered a 3rd onside kick had they not been offsides.  Those miscues by CG absolutely made it a much closer game that it should have been.  CG had a 3 TD lead with about 6 minutes left to go in the game and almost let the game get away.

Edited by Bash Riprock

38 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Both teams need some work in that area...although the pass D's were facing outstanding QB's and receivers.  CG needs focus on special teams.  A fumbled KO return along with 2 Cathedral recovered onside kicks lead to a bunch of Irish points due to extremely short fields. (17 pts I believe)  Heck, Cathedral would have recovered a 3rd onside kick had they not been offsides.  Those miscues by CG absolutely made it a much closer game that it should have been.  CG had a 3 TD lead with about 6 minutes left to go in the game and almost let the game get away.

They actually had a 3 TD with with under 2 min to play. CG picked up a first down with about 2:30 left and Cathedral didn’t call a TO basically conceding the game down 2 scores. CG for whatever reason didn’t kneel it out and scored on the next play with just under 2 minutes left and then all the fireworks happened.

Center Grove JV 27, Cathedral JV 14

Center Grove Freshman 21, Cathedral Freshman 14

Center Grove is going to be hard to beat and should be big favorites to make it downtown on Thanksgiving weekend.  The Irish didn't quit, and that's a positive they can take into the sectional.  The pass defense has been a problem all season.  They have two weeks to get it straightened out.

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Center Grove is going to be hard to beat and should be big favorites to make it downtown on Thanksgiving weekend.  The Irish didn't quit, and that's a positive they can take into the sectional.  The pass defense has been a problem all season.  They have two weeks to get it straightened out.

No they aren’t.  I am done picking them to lose in state games though.  That’s for sure.

They are “among” the favorites but far from “big favorites.”

3 hours ago, temptation said:

No they aren’t.  I am done picking them to lose in state games though.  That’s for sure.

They are “among” the favorites but far from “big favorites.”

You picked against the Trojans this week. Don’t change now!!! 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Happy to see the Irish offense start to click late in the season heading into playoffs....hanging 38 points on Center Grove (most points they allowed all season) something positive heading into sectionals but worried too about pass defense.  Good news is we pretty much have two weeks (no offense to North Central) but LN/LC will be no easy task before facing either Ben Davis / Brownsburg.  Gotta take it one game at a time!

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:51 PM, PHJIrish said:

Center Grove 45, Cathedral 38, final.  It was wet but much more playable and warm than last week.  More in the morning.  I'm still in the process of drying.

MVP.....  Bobby Ray Carson, who sabotaged the Arlington field electrical system.  Otherwise it would have been a mudfest!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Happy to see the Irish offense start to click late in the season heading into playoffs....hanging 38 points on Center Grove (most points they allowed all season) something positive heading into sectionals but worried too about pass defense.  Good news is we pretty much have two weeks (no offense to North Central) but LN/LC will be no easy task before facing either Ben Davis / Brownsburg.  Gotta take it one game at a time!

It was the most points CG allowed all season...and just like Cathedral, the Trojans have to look into stopping the long pass.  (coverage, QB pressure, schemes, etc.)

That being said...special teams is what really enabled the points to go on the board for the Irish including a couple of scores late in Q4.  The Irish recovered 2 onside kicks and forced a fumble on the opening kickoff return to start Q3.  That have the Irish 3 short fields and 3 extra possessions they should not received.  Those special play miscues by the Trojans led to 17 Irish points.  Credit the Irish for taking advantage of the opportunities to score the 38 points.