Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Championships are they all equal

I had this talk with a few coworkers back during march about the ncaa but it could also apply here.  Do all championships eras have them same weight.  Take team A has won 13state championships but team b has 6.  Say team team A won8 titles say understand cluster system or before and all of team Team B have been since it was an all in tournament.   
Do not get me wrong you can only play what is front of you but looking back know in my opinion the the 6 means more the the 13.

take iu basketball ncaa title they only won one under the current system. So in my opinion the other do mean as much 

I think its ridiculous to say a teams championships "don't mean as much" based on the era they played in.  The current system will always be the "best".  50 years from now when we have seeded sectionals, will they look back and say the champs from the 2020's don't mean as much because they were in a different system?  Completely ridiculous.

• Like 1

My only distinction is between titles won on the field/court vs ‘mythical’ titles. 

In 1956 (or pretty much any year prior to the 80’s) Team A was 10-0 and claims a title because of a press vote. That’s not the same as a team that won via tournament. JMHO

• Like 1

At the end of the day, regardless of the era, the two best teams more than likely played for the title. Meaning the best team from the north and the best team from the south. So no, I don't the the argument holds any weight. Center Grove came onto the scene about a decade or two behind the other powers, hence less championships. 

6 hours ago, BTF said:

At the end of the day, regardless of the era, the two best teams more than likely played for the title. Meaning the best team from the north and the best team from the south. So no, I don't the the argument holds any weight. Center Grove came onto the scene about a decade or two behind the other powers, hence less championships. 

I never said a word about Center Grove. This could about Ben Davis just as much they did not win their first state title until the all in as it is now.  It is more about. The era’s before 85 and after.  This was started first with my coworkers about ncaa and the before and after they went to 64 teams.  

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Indiana high school basketball state titles had more weight in the single-class era than in the current multi-class era.

I Almost never agree with your opinions but  with this i do.

• Like 1

A championship only matters in the year that it is won.  Comparing titles from different decades or systems is just a waste of time mentally.  Serves no purpose.  Much like saying that a basketball state title today doesn't matter as much as before classes.  Every title matters.  Stop trying to create new ways to diminish someone else's accomplishments.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 12:21 PM, Muda69 said:

Indiana high school basketball state titles had more weight in the single-class era than in the current multi-class era.

Sectional championships had more value in the single class era.  I’m not sold state championships did. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 3:40 PM, CoachGallogly said:

Sectional championships had more value in the single class era.  I’m not sold state championships did. 

Agreed. The old Butler sectional in the 60's was a monster with 14 teams. Southport I believe had 11 teams during that time. All Marion County schools north of Washington St. played at Butler, and south of Washington St. played at Southport. Today teams can win a sectional by just winning two games. In fact, with a bye, a team can win a class tournament by winning only 6 games. That old Butler sectional took 4 wins just to get out of there. Most all other sectionals were 8 teams, thus three wins were required, so 9 wins to win state.

Since 99% of teams had no shot at a state title in the single class era, it wasn’t really the concern in most communities.  Yea the Milan miracle was a great story, but it wasn’t really an upset story. 

For most communities winning the sectional gained your town/school/players a life long bragging rights locally, especially for smaller towns in a way a state title today doesn’t approach.