Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Shelbyville on the brink of Contraction?

Guest DT

45 minutes ago, DT said:

These are historically bad numbers.  The worst we have ever seen of any contraction candidate.

Shelbytucky should really consider shutting down the program.  Clearly the community has changed and football is not on the priority list.  Why even make the investments needed when it clearly is not valued by either the students, the faculty or the administration?.  Couldnt those valuable dollars be spent on other worthwhile activities that will benefit a much higher percentage of kids who attend the school?  Sometimes, contraction is just not about football, its about the ancillary benefits realized by other members of the student body.  

Perhaps investment in an e-sports team would reap better benefits than a football program at this point.  Heck, Rossville, a small school power in basketball and baseball, has an e-sports team but no football program.  And there are scholarships to be had:  https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/04/19/rossville-student-nolan-starkey-parlays-gaming-passion-into-esports-opportunity-at-trine-university/3497676002/

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gipper said:

No kidding!!!  Bad records happen, I get it.  But the right athletes and/or coaching staff can change that in no time.  W-L is insignificant...

Agreed.  Would like to add the support needs to be there too.

12 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Agreed.  Would like to add the support needs to be there too.

I disagree

There are 419 high schools in Indiana.  100 , almost 25%, have chosen not to play football.  Not all are 1A schools.

Football is THE most expensive extracurricular activity a high school can offer.  If participation/performance/interest decline to below subsistence levels, somebody has the responsibility to pull the plug and reallocate those dollars.  How many times have I read that nearly all teachers take money out of their own pockets to help with school supplies, or work unpaid on their days off.  What value does a student athlete get when his varsity football team goes 3-40 during his freshman thru senior years?  Maybe he could have gotten more benefit from participating in other activities, or maybe a fellow student could have benefitted from the football $ allocated to each player on the roster.

This is not a crusade.  The Multiplier was a crusade.  And a successful one at that.    Its common sense decision making made at the local level.

I would be willing to bet that there are 40 to 50 schools TODAY in Indiana that would pull the plug on football were it not for external public pressure.  The incoming new era of administrators are not pro football like their predecessors.  There will be less internal support to maintain a faltering program than there has been in the past.  More women are coming into high level admin roles as well.  This does not bode well for schools on the contraction block.  

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

So many baseless opinions. Eeesh

I would never suggest contraction for a school without completing a thorough review of the facts.

Most are objective, some subjective.

Last year, we recommended contraction for the Hammond Bishop Noll program

The facts :

* Chronic lack of competitiveness 

* 33 losses in 34 games

* Nearly 50 ppg point differential

* Chronic coaching turnover

* Chronic low numbers

* Game cancellations 

* Internal suspension of lower level games

* Significant injury problems 

* Non existent feeder systems

* No community support

Noll is playing a JV schedule this year.  No long term commitments have been made as the school evaluates its gridiron future.

* Poor admin support

* Significant internal demographic changes impacting participation.

* Non existent alumni support

The list goes on and on.  You can apply this same list to many schools who are struggling to compete across the state.  

Apply this list to the Shelbyville program.  Lots of similarities.

Edited by DT

11 hours ago, superjay said:

IHSAA needs to get creative and Establish a rehab class for situations like this.  Frankfort, Crawfordsville, Shelbyville, Owen Valley,  and other mid size schools would benefit.  Basically give them the option to opt out of tournament.  And play games against similar competion.  It doesn’t  really help the good programs/teams to beat these schools to death.

No kidding there...did you see what 1A North Vermillion did to Owen  Valley in week one?

4 hours ago, DT said:

I disagree

There are 419 high schools in Indiana.  100 , almost 25%, have chosen not to play football.  Not all are 1A schools.

Football is THE most expensive extracurricular activity a high school can offer.  If participation/performance/interest decline to below subsistence levels, somebody has the responsibility to pull the plug and reallocate those dollars.  How many times have I read that nearly all teachers take money out of their own pockets to help with school supplies, or work unpaid on their days off.  What value does a student athlete get when his varsity football team goes 3-40 during his freshman thru senior years?  Maybe he could have gotten more benefit from participating in other activities, or maybe a fellow student could have benefitted from the football $ allocated to each player on the roster.

This is not a crusade.  The Multiplier was a crusade.  And a successful one at that.    Its common sense decision making made at the local level.

I would be willing to bet that there are 40 to 50 schools TODAY in Indiana that would pull the plug on football were it not for external public pressure.  The incoming new era of administrators are not pro football like their predecessors.  There will be less internal support to maintain a faltering program than there has been in the past.  More women are coming into high level admin roles as well.  This does not bode well for schools on the contraction block.  

I get it. I do see your point. Thank you for taking the time. Have a great evening DT. Hope all is well. 

6 hours ago, DT said:

I disagree

Out of curiosity, what is the largest school that doesn't field a football team?

19 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Out of curiosity, what is the largest school that doesn't field a football team?

Looks like Indianapolis Herron based on what I'm seeing. They have 889 students which is more than what Angola has and Angola is in 4A in football.

Edited by Frozen Tundra
  • Like 1