Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Shelbyville on the brink of Contraction?

Guest DT

42 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Then your statement about W-L being insignificant is patently invalid.  Are you saying that coaches don't promote/demote players regarding starters or positions after a loss or due to a win?

No, it’s not.  Using W-L solely for contraction is insignificant.  That's all I meant... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gipper said:

No, it’s not.  Using W-L solely for contraction is insignificant.  That's all I meant... 

Its not just W-L

Its all the below, and more :

* Chronic lack of competitiveness 

* 33 losses in 34 games

* Nearly 50 ppg point differential

* Chronic coaching turnover

* Chronic low numbers

* Game cancellations 

* Internal suspension of lower level games

* Significant injury problems 

* Non existent feeder systems

* No community support

*  Poor admin support

* Significant internal demographic changes impacting participation.

* Non existent alumni support

22 minutes ago, Gipper said:

100% agree with Gipper here. Maybe they are an "outlier", but one of my favorite push backs on the whole "contraction" thing is Alexandria. Take a look at their history. From the 2001 season through 2009 (current Head Coach Pete Gast's first season), the Tigers won 13 games over 9 years, including a losing streak of 31 straight games. However, in the 10+ seasons since, they have gone 46-54 overall (including seasons of 9-2, 8-4 and 7-4) and been mostly competitive in the CIC.

That's a school that I guarantee would have made @DT list of contraction opponents following the 2009 season. However, they've to the right guy at the helm that helped provide stability, increase numbers across the board, and get admin support.

I'm not in full disagreement that some schools should potentially consider the idea of contraction, however, if Alexandria can overcome a 13-79 W/L stretch to the competitive team they are now, ANY school can come back from the "brink of contraction" IMO

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Its not just W-L

Its all the below, and more :

* Chronic lack of competitiveness 

* 33 losses in 34 games

* Nearly 50 ppg point differential

* Chronic coaching turnover

* Chronic low numbers

* Game cancellations 

* Internal suspension of lower level games

* Significant injury problems 

* Non existent feeder systems

* No community support

*  Poor admin support

* Significant internal demographic changes impacting participation.

* Non existent alumni support

I still don't believe we allow someone to use this forum as a tool to state that reducing opportunities for student-athletes is somehow going to make football better. This isn't the NFL. Reducing from 32 to 28 teams isn't going to cull out the worst 200 players. This isn't college - players aren't just going to transfer if their school's program disbands. Some will, but many won't. DT has this delusional view that HSFB is like college, and that people choose their schools and will flock to programs. 

Instead, the number of programs we want to target in INHSFB should be 400+ - the number of IHSAA schools - not some arbitrary number that one message board poster has decided is "good."

Contraction won't help many, but it will hurt the vulnerable kids in rural schools for whom football is an outlet and for many, a lifeline. This is education-based athletics, not big-time college sports. Opportunity is what matters. What happens from 3-5 p.m. every day on the 100-yard classroom matters. You can learn a lot of life lessons as a JV player on an 0-10 team that you'll NEVER learn by going home and playing video games all day because football was taken away. Not every program is going to be Center Grove. You're going to have a few who struggle, and that's OK. 

In the case of Shelbyville ... they have great alumni support, good admin/community support, have never canceled a game, and they've been largely competitive for the last 20 years and are going through a down cycle. Some of that might be due to demographic changes, younger players choosing other sports, et al, but that's a good, traditional community that loves its sports. Football will *always* be a part of their athletic menu. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

To put it simply, I have a love of the game. But like so many elements in today’s society, this forum (or at least this topic) has become too political.   It’s not up to us to decide who gets to play and with whom.

Of course it's not up to us... but I for one find it a good discussion point for a message board, even if I don't always agree with @DT and his views/points.

11 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

100% agree with Gipper here. Maybe they are an "outlier", but one of my favorite push backs on the whole "contraction" thing is Alexandria. Take a look at their history. From the 2001 season through 2009 (current Head Coach Pete Gast's first season), the Tigers won 13 games over 9 years, including a losing streak of 31 straight games. However, in the 10+ seasons since, they have gone 46-54 overall (including seasons of 9-2, 8-4 and 7-4) and been mostly competitive in the CIC.

That's a school that I guarantee would have made @DT list of contraction opponents following the 2009 season. However, they've to the right guy at the helm that helped provide stability, increase numbers across the board, and get admin support.

I'm not in full disagreement that some schools should potentially consider the idea of contraction, however, if Alexandria can overcome a 13-79 W/L stretch to the competitive team they are now, ANY school can come back from the "brink of contraction" IMO

Contraction is a decision that is based on the future, not the past.

The negative trends that are impacting the game will become MORE negative as time goes by.  Failing programs will become more difficult to resuscitate due to dwindling resources   Alexandria was able to rebuild while football was still on a growth trajectory.  The game has peaked and is now in downsizing mode.  Shelby will have a very difficult time rebuilding in the current climate.  It then becomes a local administrative decision relative to allocation of resources.  What activities serve the greater good?  Every community is different.  

11 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Of course it's not up to us... but I for one find it a good discussion point for a message board, even if I don't always agree with @DT and his views/points.

Fair point.  I just happened to go a little off the deep end when my alma mater became involved.  Although it’s true SN isn’t winning too many, OK—any games right now, I don’t take kindly to outsiders deciding how to run the program.  As I have always maintained, athletic success at SN is cyclical, as it is at any rural school.  We can’t continually add 50+ great athletes  like the big schools.  Games also are a place for community members to come together, and provide many opportunities for student involvement, i. e. bands, cheerleaders, etc.  Athletics plays a big part in the fabric of Kentland, Goodland, and Brook—anybody who wants to take that away needs to consider the whole equation.

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

There are many other outlets and "lifelines" in rural areas besides football.

Not in the fall, cross country is not a big draw😉

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And I don't believe any advocates for contraction here on the GID have stated that W-L should be the only factor considered.

Good to know.