Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best postseason run

Maybe we'll be privileged to see another one this year!  That's what I love about High School Football.  You just never know.  Another thing I love is the support that some of these teams receive from their communities.  It is especially that way at the smaller schools (more so 1A and 2A).  When Linton played for the state title the second time, I believe the attendance was about 3,000.  When you consider that's about 60% of the town's population, that's incredible support.  I know it may not matter to the bigger schools in the bigger towns, but think about an Indy team getting 60% of Indianapolis's population there!  They all couldn't fit in the stadium!  And yes I know there are a LOT of schools in Indy but you get what I'm sayin.  AND I love all of these stories and especially those from the officials.  We never get to hear things from their perspective.  Thank you gentlemen for sharing!

Edited by itiswhatitis

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Close. I was the referee in the 2003 semistate game at AC against Seeger, when AC missed a chip shot field goal on the last play and lost 22-21. One of the best HS games I ever saw, and one of the games in our crew’s magical post-season run in 2003. Loved working at AC, and Rick Minnich was a great coach.

Never been so devastated as a fan as a kid. That team was by far better than probably any of the teams we've had from 2000 to now. They were up 21-0 at halftime I believe. Just sickening.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

That's right. I was at that one too. Another good one!

Funny story about that game. Brian Moore was the HFB coach at Seeger. In the pregame conference, I asked, as always, if they had any trick plays. He told me if they got to 4th down and less than 5, they’d line up in punt formation and then shift abruptly in an attempt to draw the defense into the neutral zone. I informed him that was a foul. He said they’d done it successfully several times that season. I told him they weren’t doing it tonight. Sure enough, they did it and we flagged them. The next week in the Dome they did the same thing — and got flagged for it then, too! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Funny story about that game. Brian Moore was the HFB coach at Seeger. In the pregame conference, I asked, as always, if they had any trick plays. He told me if they got to 4th down and less than 5, they’d line up in punt formation and then shift abruptly in an attempt to draw the defense into the neutral zone. I informed him that was a foul. He said they’d done it successfully several times that season. I told him they weren’t doing it tonight. Sure enough, they did it and we flagged them. The next week in the Dome they did the same thing — and got flagged for it then, too! 

You don’t flag HOF’er Brian Moore, he tells you when to throw a flag!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2014 Ben Davis...

Pike

@ Avon (Snow Game)

Warren

Center Grove

Carmel

The Giants had gotten shellacked by Carmel in the regular season and got down 17-0 then came back to win, 42-24. Needed late rallies to be Warren and Center Grove. Tight snow game in Sectional vs. Avon.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:09 PM, Justasportsfan said:

It's been mentioned in another thread..northwood ended regular season at 3-6 n went on to garner a blue ring..think they knocked off some pretty solid teams on their way down to n winning state.

Same time!!

Griffith was one of them in semistate, we were 13-0 going into that game, one of Radtke's better teams, needless to say.  That was a stunner.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:10 AM, Chet56 said:

Being a member of that 2005 NorthWood team who made that run, I can tell you those 6 weeks were some of the most fun times I've had playing football. We were able to bring NorthWood it's first State Championship and if memory serves me right, it's Chatard's only loss in a state championship game. Great memories to look back on every year around this time. 

In the second round of Sectionals we were losing to Culver Military 17-0 at halftime and came back to win 24-17. We also defeated Griffith, who at the time was the #1 team in 3A averaging about 50 points a game with absolute dudes on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. We were able to squeak out a 17-10 win against a well oiled Russ Radtke machine. 

Holding that team to 10 pts was quite an accomplishment!  That was a really good Griffith team.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, Bobref said:

Close. I was the referee in the 2003 semistate game at AC against Seeger, when AC missed a chip shot field goal on the last play and lost 22-21. One of the best HS games I ever saw, and one of the games in our crew’s magical post-season run in 2003. Loved working at AC, and Rick Minnich was a great coach.

Better than Chatard/Danville in 01 (I think)?

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

It was 2002 ... and that was probably the best high school football game I ever officiated. The de facto state championship.

Sorry to disagree with you here Bob but the de facto state championship was the Chatard vs HH game in the semi state that year.  #1 vs #2 Chatard won 35-28 against an unbelievably good HH team that included the states leading scorer for that season and 6th all time leader, I believe, Cole Seifrig.  After 5 turnovers HH was still in control of the game, but number 6 was costly and Chatard eventually pulled the game out.  It is my belief that legendary coach Bob Clayton would have multiple state championships had it not been for running into Bishop Chatard year after year. 

1 hour ago, Patriot 74 said:

Sorry to disagree with you here Bob but the de facto state championship was the Chatard vs HH game in the semi state that year.  #1 vs #2 Chatard won 35-28 against an unbelievably good HH team that included the states leading scorer for that season and 6th all time leader, I believe, Cole Seifrig.  After 5 turnovers HH was still in control of the game, but number 6 was costly and Chatard eventually pulled the game out.  It is my belief that legendary coach Bob Clayton would have multiple state championships had it not been for running into Bishop Chatard year after year. 

Going to have to disagree with you there. Chatard was #1 and Danville #2 going into that Sectional Championship game. Both 11-0. Heritage Hills was only ranked #2 after Chatard had beaten Danville. Chatard beat HH by 7 in the semistate in Heritage Hills' own stadium. They beat Danville by a single point, when Danville scored with about 20 sec. left and decided to go for two -- and didn't make it. If they had kicked the extra point, we might still be playing. Those two teams were that evenly matched.

If anyone knows where I can retrieve archived Sagarin ratings from 2002, I'd be really intrigued to see what they have to say about it.

10 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Going to have to disagree with you there. Chatard was #1 and Danville #2 going into that Sectional Championship game. Both 11-0. Heritage Hills was only ranked #2 after Chatard had beaten Danville. Chatard beat HH by 7 in the semistate in Heritage Hills' own stadium. They beat Danville by a single point, when Danville scored with about 20 sec. left and decided to go for two -- and didn't make it. If they had kicked the extra point, we might still be playing. Those two teams were that evenly matched.

If anyone knows where I can retrieve archived Sagarin ratings from 2002, I'd be really intrigued to see what they have to say about it.

So if we are going to agree to disagree that's fine.  From 2000-2002 HH was 41-2 with both losses coming to Chatard in the semi state game.  Not sure I believe that Danville was ranked ahead of HH anytime during that season.  And if we are playing the "what if" game like your two point conversion reference....HH was clearly in control of the semi state game running the football with Cole Seifrig, and up 14 points.  It wasn't until untimely mistakes in the passing game that occurred that undid HH in this one.  Had HH never thrown the football, the game may have ended up in a route by HH, who knows, but anyone who was at that game would agree with me.

10 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

So if we are going to agree to disagree that's fine.  From 2000-2002 HH was 41-2 with both losses coming to Chatard in the semi state game.  Not sure I believe that Danville was ranked ahead of HH anytime during that season.  And if we are playing the "what if" game like your two point conversion reference....HH was clearly in control of the semi state game running the football with Cole Seifrig, and up 14 points.  It wasn't until untimely mistakes in the passing game that occurred that undid HH in this one.  Had HH never thrown the football, the game may have ended up in a route by HH, who knows, but anyone who was at that game would agree with me.

Would a, could a, should a ... doesn't trump what actually happened.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:40 AM, Screagle said:

2017 3A Memorial when they were the best team in state not 5A or 6A 

How in the heck can you proclaim you're the best team in the State (1A-4A) in 2017 when the only ranked 4A school you played beat you by 28 points and put up over 500 yards on offense on you and held you to 7 points???  Care to change your statement?

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Would a, could a, should a ... doesn't trump what actually happened.

You brought of the  "if the had kicked the extra point....."  blah blah blah so I took it and ran with my own what if comment.  Sorry about it Bob but I can have an opinion too.  

9 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

You brought of the  "if the had kicked the extra point....."  blah blah blah so I took it and ran with my own what if comment.  Sorry about it Bob but I can have an opinion too.  

Sure you can. This is one of those unresolved and unresolvable discussions that makes HS football so much fun.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

1 hour ago, Patriot 74 said:

From 1997-2002 Danville was 69-8 (2000-2002 they were 34-4) under Bob Copeland. 

They lost the Sectional Championship to Chatard in 97, 98, 01, and 02. In 99 they lost the State Championship to FW Luers and in 00 lost in Semi-State to Ev Mater Dei. Those were some darn good football teams Danville was pumping out.

@Bobref did that 2002 Danville team have a RB with last name of Powers?

7 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

They lost the Sectional Championship to Chatard in 97, 98, 01, and 02. In 99 they lost the State Championship to FW Luers and in 00 lost in Semi-State to Ev Mater Dei. Those were some darn good football teams Danville was pumping out.

The only player I distinctly remember was a 2-way player who was a RB and a LB. Don’t recall his name,  but I think he went to IU on a scholarship. Man, was he a load! I thought he was the best player on the field that night. One of the most physical HS football games I was ever a part of, and he was right in the thick of it.

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The only player I distinctly remember was a 2-way player who was a RB and a LB. Don’t recall his name,  but I think he went to IU on a scholarship. Man, was he a load! I thought he was the best player on the field that night. One of the most physical HS football games I was ever a part of, and he was right in the thick of it.

17 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

It was Jake Powers.  He played at IU.

15 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Yes, that was the one I was talking about. Was a great RB and great LB!

6 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

It was Jake Powers.  He played at IU.

His first name was escaping me, I knew the last name was Powers. Thank you!

26 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes, that was the one I was talking about. Was a great RB and great LB!

His first name was escaping me, I knew the last name was Powers. Thank you!

Pardon me if I brag on my guys a little, but in those years our crew was really, really good. Everyone knew that the Chatard - Danville game might well decide the state championship (with apologies to@Patriot 74), so the IHSAA took the unheard of [then] step of bringing our crew all the way down to Indy from the Region to work a sectional final. And that game lived up to its promise, and then some.

57 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Just to add.....From 1996-2002 HH was 123-13, making the semi state or further in 6 straight years!!  That's a remarkable ten year run!!!

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Pardon me if I brag on my guys a little, but in those years our crew was really, really good. Everyone knew that the Chatard - Danville game might well decide the state championship (with apologies to@Patriot 74), so the IHSAA took the unheard of [then] step of bringing our crew all the way down to Indy from the Region to work a sectional final. And that game lived up to its promise, and then some.

None taken!!!  Two great teams!!  The state made the correct choice by the way!!

17 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Just to add.....From 1996-2002 HH was 123-13, making the semi state or further in 6 straight years!!  That's a remarkable ten year run!!!

None taken!!!  Two great teams!!  The state made the correct choice by the way!!

I wasn't saying anything bad about HH. Just showing that Danville had a great run too. Only problem was they usually ran into Chatard at the Sectional Championship level instead of Semi-STate like HH did.

23 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Never seen a game at HH. Pretty far from the Region. But since I’m an observer now and there aren’t that many of us, who knows?  I’ll already be in Bloomington for a meeting on semistate Friday. Maybe I can wangle an assignment to observe whoever is at HH then. Think they’ll be home if they make it to the semistate?

Just some fun facts (because one team continues to come up in this thread).  Since 1983 (36 years) Chatard has lost 23 times in the tournament.  6 times to Roncalli, 3 to New Pal, 3 to Memorial, 2 to Danville, 2 to Cathedral, 2 to North Montgomery, and once each to Brownsburg, Franklin Central, Beech Grove, Heritage Hills, and NorthWood.  Of the teams Chatard has played more than once in the tournament, they have losing records to only Roncalli (3-6), New Pal (2-3), Memorial (1-3), and Cathedral (1-2).  13 times Chatard did not lose a game in the tournament beating SB St. Joe (3), Andrean (3), West Lafayette (2), NorthWood (2), Norwell, Luers, and Hamilton Heights for state championships.  And . . . as has been mentioned numerous times, lost once in the championship game to NorthWood.  Not a bad run.  While, I have my doubts of the future of high school football in the long run, I can think of no other sport that is better at developing character (win or lose/good program or not).