Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A Semi State Hobart at East Noble

Congrats to East Noble. They withstood the early storm...took over the game and then hung on when Hobart answered the bell. 

I thought the execution on offense was really good particularly in quarter 3 and early 4th. Parker puts that ball up there and those wideouts go up and get it. I don’t even think the coverage was bad it was kids making plays. You see it on videos and feel like man they really get lucky nabbing so many 50/50 looking balls.  That ain’t luck.  Thats just good execution. Hobart Defense on the field way too much. The stats don’t show it but they did all they could to win the ball game for sure. EN defensive front really did a nice job taking away the bread and butter which leaves some question on some things Offensively. 

Great year for Hobart, very young.  Have a feeling they’ll be back next year.  Gotta get better. Best of luck to the knights next weekend. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prospect said:

There was a fight after the game - don't know too much other than that.

Yeah an older Hobart fan got ko’d by a younger East Noble fan after he was asked to show some respect when the young man yes with a group yell FU Hobart. The kid was arrested. There were a lot of unfortunate things I saw. The East Noble team played a great game and they don’t deserve to have had some of the crap that went on there to take away from their accomplishments. There were a lot of things that happened though. I’m not saying Hobart fans are saints but from the whole set up of not being able to accommodate a large visiting crowd, the cars surrounding the visitors area Honkin, lights on, revving up the trucks, yelling at the Hobart fans and little kids even. And shooting off fireworks. It was a little over the top     

I mean Hobart couldn’t even run into the field for home playoff games because it was against IHSAA rules of neutrality. Overall I thought East noble fans across the way were intense and cheered hard.  The ones that came over to the Hobart side to start beef on a few occasions.  Pretty Bush. 

best of luck though to EN. Really good team. Go rep the North!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GATA said:

Yeah an older Hobart fan got ko’d by a younger East Noble fan after he was asked to show some respect when the young man yes with a group yell FU Hobart. The kid was arrested. There were a lot of unfortunate things I saw. The East Noble team played a great game and they don’t deserve to have had some of the crap that went on there to take away from their accomplishments. There were a lot of things that happened though. I’m not saying Hobart fans are saints but from the whole set up of not being able to accommodate a large visiting crowd, the cars surrounding the visitors area Honkin, lights on, revving up the trucks, yelling at the Hobart fans and little kids even. And shooting off fireworks. It was a little over the top     

I mean Hobart couldn’t even run into the field for home playoff games because it was against IHSAA rules of neutrality. Overall I thought East noble fans across the way were intense and cheered hard.  The ones that came over to the Hobart side to start beef on a few occasions.  Pretty Bush. 

best of luck though to EN. Really good team. Go rep the North!

Respect for elders has gone by the wayside. I'd give the kid 10 years for that. 

In terms of an older man (60 years old or so) getting knocked out by a young EN fan after being asked to show respect, that is true (it was also a a blind side punch the gentlemen never saw coming).  The fan was arrested as stated elsewhere.  Don't know anything cars being keyed or 'players being spit on' by fans, but I know that sometimes those kind of rumors get spread when they either didn't happen or get exaggerated.  In terms of fans in cars and trucks watching the game from behind the visitor's stands and blaring their horns and flashing their lights on the visitor's stands after scores, that certainly went on.  Let's just say I'm not a fan of that and I don't know if it's a regular occurrence at EN games, but regardless I think it is a practice that I think the EN administration should take a long look at.

In terms of the EN fan base during the game, they were absolutely incredibly loud -- loudest I've heard in quite some time on the road as a Hobart fan.  I know community businesses paid for 300 student tickets and their student section was packed and for the most part they were well behaved.  But like most things, there are some unintended consequences that come along with that and the students who were coming over to the Hobart side to try and antagonize fans are most likely ones that aren't typically spending their Friday nights at EN games.  If they were, I'm sure EN administration would have already put an end to it.

In terms of the game itself, Parker certainly has the goods.  His release is very quick which makes it hard to get to him and he hits those 7 yard passes with consistency and forces you in that you have to move your coverage up and that's when he throws downfield.  Hayden Jones high points the ball well and Parker puts it in spots where only he can make the play (even thought the coverage was pretty good).  Bailey ended up 22 of 33 with 3 picks.....a testament to both how accurate Parker is and the fact that Hobart is so good at making a play on the ball when they are given a chance.  It's not an accident that Hobart ended the year forcing 49 turnovers (27 of which were interceptions).....the Brickies ended up picking off about one out of every eight passes thrown against them.

There were huges plays by both sides and wild momentum swings.  Hobart had a long kick return called back on the last drive that would have started the Brickies with the ball on the Knights' 40 with 2 1/2 minutes left and three time outs.  The penalty put the ball back to the Brickies 15 and limited their play book as they are a much more methodical offense.

51 minutes ago, DaDog44 said:

In terms of an older man (60 years old or so) getting knocked out by a young EN fan after being asked to show respect, that is true (it was also a a blind side punch the gentlemen never saw coming). 

60 is definitely not “older.” 😠

• Like 2

Sucker punching a fan? That makes my blood boil. I hope that slap is held accountable for any medical needs and faces charges. Some body blows prior to the arrest wouldn’t have hurt either.

I’m surprised to hear EN fans ventured to the Brickies section and acted in an antagonizing fashion. Did Hobart fans not retaliate? 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, Boilernation said:

Sucker punching a fan? That makes my blood boil. I hope that slap is held accountable for any medical needs and faces charges. Some body blows prior to the arrest wouldn’t have hurt either.

I’m surprised to hear EN fans ventured to the Brickies section and acted in an antagonizing fashion. Did Hobart fans not retaliate? 

No.  It was basically high schools from EN trying to antagonize Hobart high school kids and I think the Hobart side, despite being the road team, had better supervision.  Again, wasn't the norm from the EN side -- they had a huge student section that was very loud and spirited -- both good things -- but did have an small element that wasn't really interested in the game itself.  Again, an unintended consequence of a good thing -- paying for the tickets of a large number of students coming to the game can produce those kind of things.  

I was simply disappointed in how EN administration and security handled the event.  It wasn't a secret how many tickets were sold to Hobart fans and how large of a visiting contingent would be there.  I know somebody mentioned before the game that there would be 'plenty of seats on the visitor's side' as during the season there were 'always enough seats for visitors'.  I had seen the overhead view of EN's stadium before the game and knew the seating would be inadequate on the visitor's side (I arrived an hour before game time and the seats on Hobart's side were already full and people were already jockeying for position standing along the fence as even that was limited -- the visitor's side is cut off on one side by a fence, so the standing room is only on one side as well.  Its a very odd seating arrangement....the stands on the visitor's side go from about the 15 yard line to 15 yard line but are truly only like five rows deep.  The home size is decent sized but even their was even a big overflow there and they had a lot of fans standing.  Obviously the seating is what it is and I'm sure on a normal regular season Friday night game it's adequate, but in a semistate game where the pre-sold ticket indicated that just how crowded the stadium would be should have been a signal to EN administration to have better security and to be on alert.

Edited by DaDog44

5 hours ago, DaDog44 said:

I was simply disappointed in how EN administration and security handled the event.  It wasn't a secret how many tickets were sold to Hobart fans and how large of a visiting contingent would be there.  I know somebody mentioned before the game that there would be 'plenty of seats on the visitor's side' as during the season there were 'always enough seats for visitors'.  I had seen the overhead view of EN's stadium before the game and knew the seating would be inadequate on the visitor's side (I arrived an hour before game time and the seats on Hobart's side were already full and people were already jockeying for position standing along the fence as even that was limited -- the visitor's side is cut off on one side by a fence, so the standing room is only on one side as well.  Its a very odd seating arrangement....the stands on the visitor's side go from about the 15 yard line to 15 yard line but are truly only like five rows deep.  The home size is decent sized but even their was even a big overflow there and they had a lot of fans standing.  Obviously the seating is what it is and I'm sure on a normal regular season Friday night game it's adequate, but in a semistate game where the pre-sold ticket indicated that just how crowded the stadium would be should have been a signal to EN administration to have better security and to be on alert.

Just another example of why semistate games should be played at neutral sites that reduce travel distance and can accommodate larger crowds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

Just another example of why semistate games should be played at neutral sites that reduce travel distance and can accommodate larger crowds.

Yeah, I'm not sure why football is assumed to be so unique.  We already have predetermined sites in other sports.  Take the Mt. Vernon/Evansville Memorial game for example.  That's a 3+ hour trip.....traveling by school bus with reduced speeds it's probably around a 4 hour trip.

And the seating issue at East Noble was not meant to be a knock against them -- as I said, seating is what it is and as long it satisfies their typical needs, then they serve their purpose.  Most schools, even with small visitor's stands are fine for regular season games and most playoff games.   But for a semi-state game -- even with a visiting team traveling 2 1/2 hours -- they were overwhelmed by the numbers on both sides of the stands.  New Prairie travels very well and are an hour closer to Kendallville, so if New Prairie had beaten Hobart I have to imagine the number situation would have been even worse.

Edited by DaDog44

8 hours ago, DaDog44 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why football is assumed to be so unique.  We already have predetermined sites in other sports.  Take the Mt. Vernon/Evansville Memorial game for example.  That's a 3+ hour trip.....traveling by school bus with reduced speeds it's probably around a 4 hour trip.

And the seating issue at East Noble was not meant to be a knock against them -- as I said, seating is what it is and as long it satisfies their typical needs, then they serve their purpose.  Most schools, even with small visitor's stands are fine for regular season games and most playoff games.   But for a semi-state game -- even with a visiting team traveling 2 1/2 hours -- they were overwhelmed by the numbers on both sides of the stands.  New Prairie travels very well and are an hour closer to Kendallville, so if New Prairie had beaten Hobart I have to imagine the number situation would have been even worse.

Fortville had charters.  Problem with neutral sites is staffing and killings gate 2 ways.  IHSAA made a lot money at Enlow last week.  A LOT!! 

On 11/26/2019 at 3:29 AM, Boilernation said:

The old man was upset about the game and got upset about them cheering. Then he went up behind him and tried to put him in a headlock and caught a right hook and got knocked out. He got was he deserved, I saw it all. 

According to all of these posts (not sure of the facts), it sure sounds like EN administration and possibly the IHSAA needs to investigate the whole situation not just the punch part.  Cars keyed, EN fans coming to Hobart sideline and antagonizing, cars behind bleachers turning lights on and honking horns during play and the punch. Reads very much like extreme poor sportsmanship with no one from EN in position of authority dealing with it.  Very sad if all of this indeed is true and it must be dealt with by administration.

12 hours ago, Nussmi said:

The old man was upset about the game and got upset about them cheering. Then he went up behind him and tried to put him in a headlock and caught a right hook and got knocked out. He got was he deserved, I saw it all. 

Sigh.  IF you were there, then you saw what you wanted to see and not reality.  There was a reason the young man was the only person arrested.  If you are such a reliable witness, I wonder why the police didn't just take your word.