Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Carson Steele picks up first offer from Indiana State

Im wondering if carson'e stock may be rising this season.  I watched him run all over North Central in the live stream last week, and he looks bigger and even a bit shiftier than last year.  The kid is huge.  Looks like a linebacker or a defensive end.  Is he a MAC level player?  Possibly Western or Central Michigan or Miami Ohio?  Or could he even reach and pull a Charlie Spiegal and do the PWO at IU.  Frankly, I think he can play more p[ositions at the college level that Charlie can.  CS is basically locked in as a RB.  Steels could easily carry 240 lbs on that fram and be a LB.  Or cut back to 215 and be a strong safety.  Or be a monster on special teams or a long snapper.  RB and FB would be obvious options.

At this point, I like Steele's college upside over Spiegals

8 hours ago, cg_holmeaid said:

According to MaxPreps, Steele has:

89 carries

600 rushing yards (Averages 120 a game)

659 all-purpose yards

12 TDs

Sounds like he is off to a good start. I see on 247 sports he has Ball State, Indiana State, Southern Illinois as offered and Indiana and Kentucky as schools of interest, has a "recruited by" Mike Hart for IU. I think he would be great fit at Ball State. 

On 9/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, DT said:

Im wondering if carson'e stock may be rising this season.  I watched him run all over North Central in the live stream last week, and he looks bigger and even a bit shiftier than last year.  The kid is huge.  Looks like a linebacker or a defensive end.  Is he a MAC level player?  Possibly Western or Central Michigan or Miami Ohio?  Or could he even reach and pull a Charlie Spiegal and do the PWO at IU.  Frankly, I think he can play more p[ositions at the college level that Charlie can.  CS is basically locked in as a RB.  Steels could easily carry 240 lbs on that fram and be a LB.  Or cut back to 215 and be a strong safety.  Or be a monster on special teams or a long snapper.  RB and FB would be obvious options.

Steele and Spiegal are completely different backs.  First off, as you are seeing now, there is no athletic comparison.  Steele is bigger, stronger, and faster.  Point blank...he’s the better athlete and that’s why his current offers are better than what Spiegel had.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Coachmac0703 said:

Steele and Spiegal are completely different backs.  First off, as you are seeing now, there is no athletic comparison.  Steele is bigger, stronger, and faster.  Point blank...he’s the better athlete and that’s why his current offers are better than what Spiegel had.

Merrillville and Center Grove are the two most talented teams in the state, based on status of college recruiting offers and interest.  In my view, that is the best and only way to truly gauge roster talent.  It will be a real treat if these two play for the 6A title.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 8:49 PM, cg_holmeaid said:

Connor Delp and Garrett Keith both received an offer from Butler. I believe that makes 11 CG players with at least one D1 offer (FBS and/or FCS). I wouldn’t be surprised to see that number reach 13 very soon

How does that work? I know they don’t offer football scholarships. Are they compensated for school costs in other ways?

15 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

How does that work? I know they don’t offer football scholarships. Are they compensated for school costs in other ways?

Oh yeah academic scholarships. University of San Diego and Jacksonville got in trouble for giving need based aide to football players that didn’t qualify recently. 
when I went to valpo got half paid for academic scholarships 

On 9/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, DT said:

Agreed. Look at what Zander Horvath is doing at Purdue in place of King at RB. Horvath could play RB or LB at Purdue. I could be wrong, but I think he was a walk on out of Mishawaka Marian.

10 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Keith is the most under utilized asset on that roster.  Kid is a bull.  Would like to see some TE screens or more crossing routes for the big guy.

On 11/8/2020 at 11:23 PM, Whiting89 said:

Oh yeah academic scholarships. University of San Diego and Jacksonville got in trouble for giving need based aide to football players that didn’t qualify recently. 
when I went to valpo got half paid for academic scholarships 

I believe it's also being offered a spot on the team. Others may still come and try out, but those extended an invite are being asked to join the team. No different than D3. They still have students "commit" to the school, but it's a very different kind of commitment than scholarship offers.

• 1 month later...