Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

3 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I wasn't trying to specific to teachers.  I believe to a point we all evaluate and accept (or don't accept) risk when it aligns to our own personal preferences.  

Bottom line, total COVID cases are holding steady in Indiana (not increasing) , hospitalization showing a good trend, and mortality has decreased significantly.  But now, we are starting to get worried?  Where was the worry earlier this summer?  Why now, with school starting around the corner?

Amazing how we view risk.....but those workers better show up at my local Kroger and I dang sure better get my mail.............

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/indiana/

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

image.thumb.png.b4859b1193ada3778447ff4bc39fb798.png

I focused on teachers because the post I initially replied to did.

I think there is a HUGE misconception here about a few things. One; there has been a LOT of concern among teachers about the plans for starting the year. You are just now hearing about that because it wasn't news back in April or May. The start of the school year and the development of more specific plans are news items now. 

I don't think comparing mailmen and grocery store workers is quite the same as schools opening. 

Trends may be down, but the July 4th numbers are starting to show up now. We will see. 

28 minutes ago, Irishman said:

You might be right. I use the delivery service, so I don't go into those places. But for Raven to single teachers out as the ones doing that, and refer to just one when providing anecdotal evidence is just disingenuous. A lot of people were upset with schools closing, and now that the time to start a new school year is here, people are worried about the lack of safety considerations. The comment by him had nothing to do with the topic. Sure, most teachers WERE upset; disappointed may be a better word because it was inevitable, with the way the year ended. But going back, I don't think anyone saw the spread going the way it has either. The hope was that we would be seeing a decline in positive cases and a decline in deaths. 

What did you think would happen when more and more tests were being conducted?  The democrats screamed more tests. More tests. More tests happen and more “+” cases “appear”. 

29 minutes ago, Irishman said:

You might be right. I use the delivery service, so I don't go into those places. But for Raven to single teachers out as the ones doing that, and refer to just one when providing anecdotal evidence is just disingenuous. A lot of people were upset with schools closing, and now that the time to start a new school year is here, people are worried about the lack of safety considerations. The comment by him had nothing to do with the topic. Sure, most teachers WERE upset; disappointed may be a better word because it was inevitable, with the way the year ended. But going back, I don't think anyone saw the spread going the way it has either. The hope was that we would be seeing a decline in positive cases and a decline in deaths. 

And the decline in deaths of this “virus” have gone way down. 

2 hours ago, Raven67 said:

Its been very interesting to watch teachers bashing parents on Facebook that support going back to school. Teachers were "devastated" in March. All I saw was "our kids were ripped away, it unfair." Now they are being asked to step up and help take precautions and help kids get back in the classroom and they are like "there's no way!, its not safe!" as said teacher goes to 4th of July parties, Meijer, out to eat... its sickening.

Not too far off based on folks I’ve spoken to.  I wonder if pay reductions or furloughing would change their “fear level”.

Edited by Guest

32 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I’m an educator and I check all the examples you gave. Love my freedom. Facts over fear. There you go Nowlin, another one for your side “hustle”.  

Your words for your t-shirts.   I just get the royalty cut for giving you the idea 

You cant have your cake and eat it too. It was first responders and nurses time to step up in all of this....and they did and are..  now its the teachers turns to be the heroes.. and they are complaining about not being able to be in the pj's all day at home in front of a computer.. guess I hit a nerve with a few of you.. but its all over facebook.. there is a petition on Facebook made by Indiana teachers with a long list of unacheivable demands. Now I understand its not all of them. But its a very loud group. My wife and I can not afford to elearn again. We both work full-time with jobs that we can not adjust our schedule.. so what now? Go to a private school? Idk it's unreal.

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Your words for your t-shirts.   I just get the royalty cut for giving you the idea 

Sorry Nug. You wouldn’t get a dime. 

14 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

You cant have your cake and eat it too. It was first responders and nurses time to step up in all of this....and they did and are..  now its the teachers turns to be the heroes.. and they are complaining about not being able to be in the pj's all day at home in front of a computer.. guess I hit a nerve with a few of you.. but its all over facebook.. there is a petition on Facebook made by Indiana teachers with a long list of unacheivable demands. Now I understand its not all of them. But its a very loud group. My wife and I can not afford to elearn again. We both work full-time with jobs that we can not adjust our schedule.. so what now? Go to a private school? Idk it's unreal.

I went 3 houses down from mine july 3rd at a teachers house for party.   She is high school teacher and her husband did phenomenal job on the grill.    Great food all day, lots of drinks all day, and not one peep from her that there was more than 30 people in her back yard.   Fast forward to monday where on a tv stations Facebook page pronouncing how scared she was to go back into the classroom.   We have to get these kids back in school.  I'm not trying to demean teachers but I've seen first hand the agenda of some of them and I do not like it.   

Edited by Mayo77

8 minutes ago, Mayo77 said:

I went 3 houses down from mine july 3rd at a teachers house for party.   She is high school teacher and her husband did phenomenal job on the grill.    Great food all day, lots of drinks all day, and not one peep from her that there was more than 30 people in her back yard.   Fast forward to monday where on a tv stations Facebook page pronouncing how scared she was to go back into the classroom.   We have to get these kids back in school.  I'm not trying to demean teachers but I've seen first hand the agenda of some of them and I do not like it.   

Hopefully the minority but I also have seen such behavior.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, itiswhatitis said:

Everyone is talking about masks, social distancing, etc for the fans.  What about the players?  How can they stay 6 feet apart when they line up in a formation?  Then what about when they tackle someone?  Having players wear a shield or a mask isn't the end all be all for preventing this virus spread.  Everyone is getting sweaty.  When you tackle someone can't it be spread that way too?  To require the fans to do this and NOT the players is totally hypocritical.  There should be NO season until there is a vaccine.  That way there is more certainty and would cut down on most of the BS speculation.

Not a peep about the players and their safety.  Just drivel about parent and teacher bashing.  Vert enlightening,   NOT!

18 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Not a peep about the players and their safety.  Just drivel about parent and teacher bashing.  Vert enlightening,   NOT!

Don't forget about having papers.  It's very important that our students not be illegal aliens.  SMH.

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

South Bend NEA is not supporting in class/in person teaching. They are supporting virtual. 

Of course

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

Don't forget about having papers.  It's very important that our students not be illegal aliens.  SMH.

Correct. President Trump addressed illegal aliens just today. 

1 hour ago, dazed and confused said:

do you have a link or something to verify the validity of these charts ? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-florida-department-of-health-says-some-labs-have-not-reported-negative-covid-19-results.amp

Toward the bottom is a PDF with some data. I haven't looked through it all, but an educated guess would say that the chart posted here is in there somewhere. 

Apologies if this is the wrong link.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raven67 said:

Teachers turn??? lol so you have not been paying attention? Teachers shifted in just a matter of a few days classroom instruction to complete online learning. Your lack of respect for the profession is duly noted. 

No link to this facebook petition? No details about what is unachievable? 

Yeah these are unreal times. So, what happens when one of your kids gets sick and cannot go to school? As if you two are the only ones in that spot and that should be the driving force behind schools being open? Here's a hint, if the public schools in a given area do e learning again, private schools will be as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mayo77 said:

OH MY GOD....call out the National Guard...teachers had a cookout over the Summer. 30 people in a backyard that someone knows (and are adults who would know not to attend if they are infected or feeling symptoms) is a COMPLETELY different thing than 30 kids in a classroom from varying backgrounds that parents are likely sending even if a kid is sick. And having those 30 kids sitting in a confined classroom for a full day is significantly different than a backyard cookout. Did not think that would have to be clarified on a forum like this, but apparently it does. 

Yeah, you did not try to demean teachers lol....hilarious. 

• Like 1