Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

Obviously not football, but I saw (as I understand it) probably over 200 lacrosse teams from all over the Midwest at Grand Park today playing full bore.  God only knows how many baseball teams there as well.

About 3 weeks ago there were also over 200 lacrosse teams at Grand Park.

Club sports are going at it like normal.

• Sad 1

On 7/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, Irishman said:

I am not a fan of a decision like this happening at the State level. If a local community and/or school board decides like we are seeing with sports and schools, then ok. I am sad for the kids in all of those situations, but it still should be a local call. 

Should be "local" but unless all schedules are within the same district, and governed by an organization other than the IHSAA (any state organization)...it cannot be a "local" decision.  

50 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Obviously not football, but I saw (as I understand it) probably over 200 lacrosse teams from all over the Midwest at Grand Park today playing full bore.  God only knows how many baseball teams there as well.

Are they requiring masks and following social distancing guidelines? All the Club basketball events are. Even for the idle teams.

Edited by gonzoron

52 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Yeah, club sports have way more flexibility than "sanctioned" sports. If Football gets cancelled or pushed back, could be a mad dash to rugby in fall !! From what I understand, if there is virtual learning, in part or whole, there still can be rugby.

24 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Are they requiring masks and following social distancing guidelines? All the Club basketball events are. Even for the idle teams.

It is impossible to "social distance" in a baseball game. The umpire, catcher and batter are less than three feet apart on every pitch.

2 minutes ago, Howe said:

It is impossible to "social distance" in a baseball game. The umpire, catcher and batter are less than three feet apart on every pitch.

I meant social distancing for spectators and idle teams, not game participants.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Maybe 1 out of every 10-15 with a mask.  Not really what I would consider social distancing....people sitting/standing side by side along the sidelines.  Lots of signs, etc. about it, though.  Anyone that appeared associated with the park was wearing a mask.

It wasn’t really any different than the tournament they had there 3-4 weeks ago.

To be honest, if I hadn’t been paying attention, I might not have even noticed there was anyone wearing masks.  

Place was packed....took me almost 15-20 minutes to get from the parking lot to US31 once the second game I watched ended at 12:30.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Maybe 1 out of every 10-15 with a mask.  Not really what I would consider social distancing....people sitting/standing side by side along the sidelines.  Lots of signs, etc. about it, though.  Anyone that appeared associated with the park was wearing a mask.

It wasn’t really any different than the tournament they had there 3-4 weeks ago.

To be honest, if I hadn’t been paying attention, I might not have even noticed there was anyone wearing masks.  

Place was packed....took me almost 15-20 minutes to get from the parking lot to US31 once the second game I watched ended at 12:30.

I socially distanced before it was cool. Even better with the mask now, no one knows who's doing the yelling.

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Same thing here in Evansville. Travel softball teams (220) come to down. Minimal masking.

Check out this article from Evansville Courier & Press:

220-team softball tournament in Vanderburgh County is almost totally mask-free

https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/07/17/220-team-softball-tournament-vanderburgh-county-mostly-mask-free/5450917002/

BTW I’m not mask shaming anyone. It just still boggles my mind that IHSAA schools are getting raked on social media for restarting practices. This is the first I have seen travel teams discussed. 

7 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Same thing here in Evansville. Travel softball teams (220) come to down. Minimal masking.

Check out this article from Evansville Courier & Press:

220-team softball tournament in Vanderburgh County is almost totally mask-free

https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/07/17/220-team-softball-tournament-vanderburgh-county-mostly-mask-free/5450917002/

BTW I’m not mask shaming anyone. It just still boggles my mind that IHSAA schools are getting raked on social media for restarting practices. This is the first I have seen travel teams discussed. 

Low hanging fruit...

I want someone to answer one simple question:  What is different now than back in March?  The virus is still here.  There is still no vaccine or treatment for it.  I hope we have fall sports and I hope we all go back to school.  But how can anyone sit back and watch all that is going on and say they are confident that it will all happen?  There is literally no difference between July 18 and March 18.  

6 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

I want someone to answer one simple question:  What is different now than back in March?  The virus is still here.  There is still no vaccine or treatment for it.  I hope we have fall sports and I hope we all go back to school.  But how can anyone sit back and watch all that is going on and say they are confident that it will all happen?  There is literally no difference between July 18 and March 18.  

There is no difference we will only have pga tour and nba till next year 

5 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

No, there’s not.  Did we re-open too fast?Did we not take the proper precautions?  Is this virus more to it than we think?

1 minute ago, wrcsage said:

IMO, the management of the virus is better in the "general public" but when it comes down to schools and sports it will be different. The pressure is on to try to get back to some form of normal, but the isolated outbreaks (possibly more wide spread) that will happen will become unmanageable and they will have to re-consider what to do. How can you social distance, enforce mask and other things while in school and extra curricular activities?? They already shut down competition band and schools are getting hit with this virus in conditioning practices  in past week or two. There is no solid plan from most school districts or state, they keep announcing adjustments every week, That tells me they do not know what to do with school attendance, sports, and other things to go back to how it was (normal is gone).  Again JMO . The big question is this a local or state decision?  I'm leaning to local district vs state, and that is what I hear from the inside. 

26 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

Masks “required” to enter, then MAYBE 25% of the people where them when they get past the pay table!

It's *wear*, but what club events have you attended and why if you have such a negative opinon of them? The ones I have attended in the last 2 weeks had on-site security that ensured the mask policy was enforced. And tickets needed to be purchased off-site from where the event was held, so there was no "pay table".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gonzoron said:

It's *wear*, but what club events have you attended and why if you have such a negative opinon of them? The ones I have attended in the last 2 weeks had on-site security that ensured the mask policy was enforced. And tickets needed to be purchased off-site from where the event was held, so there was no "pay table".

Thanks for the grammar correction!  My children play club sports....have been in Indy the last 4 weekends and have not seen any of what you’re talking about.  I will say it again, club sports are up and running ONLY because of the almighty $$.  I payed more (much more actually) to get in a 3-day tourney a few weekends ago than I would have to pay if my high school team played all 9 road games this fall.  

On 7/16/2020 at 12:42 PM, Raven67 said:

One of the top medical journals in the world (New England Journal of Medicine) ran a study on child transmission. Out of everyone they contact traced...Kids couldn't transmit... this is science. This is the science everyone refuses to see.

that may be but then we have this.... https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/07/18/young-people-most-likely-to-spread-coronavirus-at-home-large-study-finds/amp/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrcsage said:

I payed more (much more actually) to get in a 3-day tourney a few weekends ago than I would have to pay if my high school team played all 9 road games this fall.  

I'm sorry you're being forced to spend all that money on club sports. No wait, no one is forcing you..............Do you complain about the cost to the clubs and coaches and anyone nearby and tell them it's just a money making racket? We see a few of "those parents". 

2 hours ago, wrcsage said:

Thanks for the grammar correction!  My children play club sports....have been in Indy the last 4 weekends and have not seen any of what you’re talking about.  I will say it again, club sports are up and running ONLY because of the almighty $$.  I payed more (much more actually) to get in a 3-day tourney a few weekends ago than I would have to pay if my high school team played all 9 road games this fall.  

What do you mean by "because of the almighty dollar"?? Club sports from the ones I'm involved in are funded by the parents. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psaboy said:

What do you mean by "because of the almighty dollar"?? Club sports from the ones I'm involved in are funded by the parents. 

I have a kid that plays on a very high level club team.  We’ve never payed a dime to play.  Our only cost is admission into the games....which can run anywhere from $10-$25 per day depending on where you play.  That is the almighty $ at work!  Have 500 people come through your door during a day paying $15/person and tell me it isn’t about the $$?