Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Marching Band Season Canceled

Obviously this isn't football, but it is huge as this is our state and this happens from August-November.  The Indiana State School Music Association announced the cancellation of its 2020 competitive season today.  Music programs are already struggling.  This might be the nail in the coffin for a number of programs across the state.

25 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Obviously this isn't football, but it is huge as this is our state and this happens from August-November.  The Indiana State School Music Association announced the cancellation of its 2020 competitive season today.  Music programs are already struggling.  This might be the nail in the coffin for a number of programs across the state.

It's no secret that MB families buy a lot of tickets to football games. But, probably doesn't matter this year.

28 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Do you have a link to a press release? There is nothing on their site or facebook page yet

13 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

I would be shocked if we see any spring or winter sports.  This is going to be strung out.

until 11/4 or Flynn gets to talk.  Whichever comes first.

1 hour ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

How many music programs will be contracting in your estimation?

53 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Do you have a link to a press release? There is nothing on their site or facebook page yet

I don't, but I know a number of band directors, including where I teach.  Rec'd this information directly from a director who is on the board.

6 hours ago, mykidssportsfan said:

Hate to be a pessimistic but I just don't see football season happening anytime soon...my player is also feeling it and he's going to be super bummer if it's canceled. Probably more than bummed, might be a full fledged depression.

He will play fall football unless his school board is out of touch with science.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mykidssportsfan said:

Hate to be a pessimistic but I just don't see football season happening anytime soon...my player is also feeling it and he's going to be super bummer if it's canceled. Probably more than bummed, might be a full fledged depression.

You know I'm not sure where everyone is located but I will say this.... 

I know this isn't high school Football, but I pretty much remained silent through all this on these forums. My oldest daughter is halfway through her softball season and  we are very fortunate. I live in a once upon a time COVID Hotspot that made national news during the outbreak! I really feel for all Coaches, parents, and players with High School Sports and quite frankly It is emotional just typing this out and I'm not an emotional guy! My daughter hit her 2nd home run last night this season and it all happened so quick, but when she stomped on home plate it was all slow motion afterwards. Watching the joy and the excitement on her face, and seeing her teammates clear the dugout while the coaches were jumping and screaming,  and seeing my wife get emotional while her little sister was going bezerk was truly an amazing feeling and it felt like an eternity to me. I honestly grew up respecting the opportunity I had with sports but didn't fathom the bigger picture. I have seen the fear on these Forums of no season whether its for a senior son playing their final season, or a coach in fear for the kids who don't have much other than football, or a megafan who just simply cannot live without watching a game, or a ref who does it for the love for the sport! I can honestly say I really really Hope this will pass for everyone so everyone will experience that feeling I had last night. After the Game was the best night of the year spent with my wife and kids. All of this was sparked from a competitive atmosphere and I cannot thank the league enough because I will not take these little things for granted anymore. So thankful there is normalcy coming for sports and my daughter had the opportunity to smack that ball! All I'm trying to say is if my city can recover all the others can too! Just have hope the tide will flip!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

This was announced on Fort Wayne Local news.  From what I understand, It was stated that high schools can still have their own band contests, but they will not be sponsored by the state agency.  So it seems like the state has washed its hands of any responsibility if an outbreak happened at an event.

https://wpta21.com/2020/07/16/issma-cancels-competitive-marching-band-season/#:~:text=FORT WAYNE%2C Ind.&text="The ISSMA Executive Committee has,Band events have been cancelled.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuersLurker said:

This was announced on Fort Wayne Local news.  From what I understand, It was stated that high schools can still have their own band contests, but they will not be sponsored by the state agency.  So it seems like the state has washed its hands of any responsibility if an outbreak happened at an event.

https://wpta21.com/2020/07/16/issma-cancels-competitive-marching-band-season/#:~:text=FORT WAYNE%2C Ind.&text="The ISSMA Executive Committee has,Band events have been cancelled.”

If ISSMA operates close to what athletics do (I am guessing they do since it is under the umbrella of NFHS), that there is a level of liability insurance that comes with being a member. Having unsponsored events would mean that the risk falls completely on the school if something were to happen. 

15 hours ago, Irishman said:

If ISSMA operates close to what athletics do (I am guessing they do since it is under the umbrella of NFHS), that there is a level of liability insurance that comes with being a member. Having unsponsored events would mean that the risk falls completely on the school if something were to happen. 

The only events ISSMA has ever sponsored would be Regionals, Semi-State and State.  All other events have always been sponsored by the schools themselves, which they’re required to have liability insurance in place.

1 hour ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

The only events ISSMA has ever sponsored would be Regionals, Semi-State and State.  All other events have always been sponsored by the schools themselves, which they’re required to have liability insurance in place.

True! All the "Invitationals" that schools host in Sept. & Oct (leading up to districts, regionals, etc.) are strictly for practice and to be scored and critiqued by actual judges. And, it's a money maker for the host school. 

Look for Bands of America, which has regionals all over the country and finals at LOS to be the next domino to fall. 

7 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

What insurance company will cover a covid outbreak?