• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

This will be game day

The Marion County Public health order for high school football:

• Social Distancing of 6 feet at all times on sidelines 
  • No handshakes at coin toss
  • Masks on sidelines
  • Follow IHSAA Rules

OH, BY THE WAY, THEY ARE GOING TO BE BLOCKING, TACKLING FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!!!

1 hour ago, Indian72 said:

OH, BY THE WAY, THEY ARE GOING TO BE BLOCKING, TACKLING FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!!!

I mean, ideally none of the players in the game will have the virus, which means it won't matter if they are having padded contact. That is as long as players continue to be screened every day and schools are able to react quickly to quarantine any kids that do get it.

2 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Cracks me up that there won’t be a normal coin toss with handshakes with players but they are allowed to go tackle one another and be in full contact the rest of the night

So, because we aren’t avoiding one type of contact, we shouldn’t avoid any type? Great logic. You can’t play football without blocking and tackling. But you can play it without handshakes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, because we aren’t avoiding one type of contact, we shouldn’t avoid any type? Great logic. You can’t play football without blocking and tackling. But you can play it without handshakes.

Agree completely. 

That is what is being missed by most discussions. The bus ride and locker rooms are probably the most dangerous places for viral transmission.... at least for guys who don’t play in the tackle box. 

Why add another touch point/close contact when you don’t have to?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Agree completely. 

That is what is being missed by most discussions. The bus ride and locker rooms are probably the most dangerous places for viral transmission.... at least for guys who don’t play in the tackle box. 

Why add another touch point/close contact when you don’t have to?

Serious question. Should visiting teams not be allowed to use the home teams locker rooms? Go back to the old junior high/ youth league days where players show up in game pants and get prepped on the sideline?

1 minute ago, FarmerFran said:

Serious question. Should visiting teams not be allowed to use the home teams locker rooms? Go back to the old junior high/ youth league days where players show up in game pants and get prepped on the sideline?

I'm willing to bet this is exactly how it will end up. 

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Exactly. It's about minimizing contact. Obviously there are wise, educated people who people that football can be played without causing a huge spike in cases or youth deaths. If we are going to do it, it makes sense to minimize contact as much as possible. 

I would imagine locker rooms will be off limits, unless it's only a small group at a time (use the restroom, positional meetings, etc.)

Post-game handshake line definitely not happening. I guess the teams/coaches could still walk lines that are 6 feet apart and they could just say "good game" or "good luck" as they walk by. 

It will be interesting to see how many little things like that are different this year.

4 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Exactly. It's about minimizing contact. Obviously there are wise, educated people who people that football can be played without causing a huge spike in cases or youth deaths. If we are going to do it, it makes sense to minimize contact as much as possible. 

I would imagine locker rooms will be off limits, unless it's only a small group at a time (use the restroom, positional meetings, etc.)

Post-game handshake line definitely not happening. I guess the teams/coaches could still walk lines that are 6 feet apart and they could just say "good game" or "good luck" as they walk by. 

It will be interesting to see how many little things like that are different this year.

Interested to also see how concessions, public bathrooms and ticket distribution will be handled. 

1 hour ago, footballer_02 said:

Interested to also see how concessions, public bathrooms and ticket distribution will be handled. 

If I'm going to buy and eat Nachos & Cheese at a high school football game a public bathroom better be readily accessible.  Just saying.........................

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

And I assume no post-game "good game" handslaps by the players and coaches?

Interesting how basic good sportsmanship gets thrown out the window in the face of this.

I agree. Some people say "oh it's just a handshake or whatever" but it's the meaning behind it. Sportsmanship is truly going out the window.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

If I'm going to buy and eat Nachos & Cheese at a high school football game a public bathroom better be readily accessible.  Just saying.........................

No question. Another interesting point is what about kids during passing periods at school using the restroom - Is someone going to be cleaning the bathrooms every passing period? 

57 minutes ago, Knoxcounty83 said:

I agree. Some people say "oh it's just a handshake or whatever" but it's the meaning behind it. Sportsmanship is truly going out the window.

They will, likely, come up with something just like they did with youth baseball over the summer ... where the boys/coaches line up on the baselines and tip their hats to each other and wished each other luck in the next leg of the bracket.  This summer, one of my sons and his teammates played tic-tac-toe across the diamond with another team, sending their moves on a ball, waiting out a rain-delay.  There are opportunities for camaraderie and sportsmanship between opponents; even if they look different than we are used to.

Sportsmanship isn't dead or going out the window.  People who care about it will always find a way to practice it, even if it isn't physical.  Those that don't care are the same ones who trashtalk or refuse to shake the opponents or coach's hand even when we do have lines.  The game, and sportsmanship, will survive this even with the twists and turns being tossed our way.  May not be perfect, but the players and coaches that care aren't going to let it fade off in one season or even two or three.

8 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

My concern is the post game. Are they riding home in their sweat soaked uniforms? I fear MRSA and other junk becoming a problem if that will be the case.

8 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

12 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

My concern is the post game. Are they riding home in their sweat soaked uniforms? I fear MRSA and other junk becoming a problem if that will be the case.

I remember back in the early 70s, when I was a ball boy for one of the local high schools, we didn't have a home field at the school.  There was a city stadium where many of the local teams played their games.  We tended to show up and go straight onto the field from the bus ... as the "home" team.  I think there was a locker room where the teams could go at half-time, but I recall, after games, we just got on the bus and went home ... blood, sweat, dirt, smell, and all.  Most of the away games were similar in the sense that, once the game was over, you got on the bus and went home and the team showered, etc. when they got home.

12 hours ago, foxbat said:

I remember back in the early 70s, when I was a ball boy for one of the local high schools, we didn't have a home field at the school.  There was a city stadium where many of the local teams played their games.  We tended to show up and go straight onto the field from the bus ... as the "home" team.  I think there was a locker room where the teams could go at half-time, but I recall, after games, we just got on the bus and went home ... blood, sweat, dirt, smell, and all.  Most of the away games were similar in the sense that, once the game was over, you got on the bus and went home and the team showered, etc. when they got home.

In South Bend all of the public schools still do that.  There is no "home field" on the high school campus.   It is 2-3 buses following each other back to the high school