Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Statewide Enrollment Changes Will Benefit Duneland Long Term

Guest DT

As the Indy metro continuies to expand and outpace population growth in every other part of the state, its high schools also continue to get bigger , pushing more and more non Indy schools out of Class 6A and into the lower divisions to make room for these ever expanding public school behemoths.

But for the Duneland Conference in Northwest Indiana, this trend is a blessing in disguise.  The DAC was once an "All Big Class" conference.  That is now changing as over half of the Dunelands schools have either already fallen out of 6A or are on the verge.

Based on current enrollment trends, the DACs 3 biggest schools. Lake Central #7, Crown Point #12  and Portage #19  look to remain in Class 6A for the next decade.  Merrillville is currently #25 and seeing declining enrollment trends.  The Pirates likely are heading to 5A, where they could be a real force in tournament play.  Chesterton at #30 and Valparaiso at #31 are right on the bubble, with success factor schools and others experiencing rapid enrollment growth likely to push both down to 5A long term.  Laporte is solidy in 5A at #42 in enrollment, and the DACs smallest school. Michigan City, is also firmly in 5A.

Im looking forward to seeing 5 Duneland schools in 5A in the future, as well as the additions of Hammond Morton and Hammond Central, and Munster.  The DAC will be much better positioed then to bring home a winner on TG weekend

Edited by DT

You are correct here DT, going back to the creation of 6A, LaPorte, Michigan City, and now Valpo have been strong in the north but have hit a wall either at Semi-State or the actual state game. I still see stiff competition in the North from the Ft. Wayne rep. I assume Columbus East will come back down to 5A, but just like the big DAC schools need to get better in the Region, 5A DAC will face stiff competition from Snider or Dwenger, I am sure they are thinking the same. 

26 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Michigan City is now the 4th lowest school in enrollment in the state in class 5A.  Would not be surprised to see the Wolves down in 4A in the future.

I dont think so.  There is a big droppoff after MC in 5A  They would lave to drop from 1600 plus students to 1450 range to make ot into 4A

Good Question! Northwest Indiana football needs something. I don't know if the teaching positions are not available or if many schools are hiring football coaches and not requiring them to teach. Mishawaka and Dwenger have been the top teams from the northeast, but they're not dominating.

The big question would if Zionsville moved up (I remember when they were 3A back when Rick Wimmer as there.), would a team like Cathedral get moved to the north? They may end up getting bumped up every couple of years. Who knows, they may catch up to 6A teams at the rate they're going.

We'll see if the new coaches can make a change.

44 minutes ago, CoachGallogly said:

Who had two days in the pool of "when will DT return"?  I was way off I said three weeks.  

Im bored and sick with Covid.  Need something to keep me occupied

39 minutes ago, DT said:

Im bored and sick with Covid.  Need something to keep me occupied

You've been on this board as long as I can remember going back to my time at Purdue. So, late '90's, early 2000's. It's in your blood, man. You can't give it up. Just accept it and stop threatening to leave. It won't happen my friend.

2 hours ago, JeffO2 said:

Good Question! Northwest Indiana football needs something. I don't know if the teaching positions are not available or if many schools are hiring football coaches and not requiring them to teach. Mishawaka and Dwenger have been the top teams from the northeast, but they're not dominating.

The big question would if Zionsville moved up (I remember when they were 3A back when Rick Wimmer as there.), would a team like Cathedral get moved to the north? They may end up getting bumped up every couple of years. Who knows, they may catch up to 6A teams at the rate they're going.

We'll see if the new coaches can make a change.

Zionsville is growing rapidly.  I think they are solidly in 6A for the forseable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 2:24 PM, DT said:

As the Indy metro continuies to expand and outpace population growth in every other part of the state, its high schools also continue to get bigger , pushing more and more non Indy schools out of Class 6A and into the lower divisions to make room for these ever expanding public school behemoths.

But for the Duneland Conference in Northwest Indiana, this trend is a blessing in disguise.  The DAC was once an "All Big Class" conference.  That is now changing as over half of the Dunelands schools have either already fallen out of 6A or are on the verge.

Based on current enrollment trends, the DACs 3 biggest schools. Lake Central #7, Crown Point #12  and Portage #19  look to remain in Class 6A for the next decade.  Merrillville is currently #25 and seeing declining enrollment trends.  The Pirates likely are heading to 5A, where they could be a real force in tournament play.  Chesterton at #30 and Valparaiso at #31 are right on the bubble, with success factor schools and others experiencing rapid enrollment growth likely to push both down to 5A long term.  Laporte is solidy in 5A at #42 in enrollment, and the DACs smallest school. Michigan City, is also firmly in 5A.

Im looking forward to seeing 5 Duneland schools in 5A in the future, as well as the additions of Hammond Morton and Hammond Central, and Munster.  The DAC will be much better positioed then to bring home a winner on TG weekend

There will likely be a changing of the guard in 5A north every 2 year cycle. Valpo, Snider, Dwenger, Mishawaka and then any DAC team that drops down. It will all depend on who goes to 6A due to success factor.  I wouldn't anoint Merrillville or any DAC team a 5A king apparent at this point.