Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Some fans, including yourself may never forget him for that. Other fans will forget all about him after Fickell or Freeman get that championship that they haven't had in 34 years.

If I may, let's edit your statement just a little. "He will take his place just underneath Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, and Holtz." 

There are also plenty of fans who are not happy he set the record for wins.......without a title. I agree too that it is that distinction that keeps him below the others. I can certainly see and appreciate what he did for the program. It was a great hire when he got the job. Even he will admit he fell short though. He even admitted it after the win that set the record. 

9 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Don't forget Faust...straight from HS....LOL!!

Forgot about that one! But honestly, I don't think anyone from Cincy cared. They probably thought it was pretty cool that one of their high school coaches moved on to the level of Notre Dame. 

Also of note. None of the other coaches left Notre Dame for another program. Another reason Kelly won't be revered as the others have. 

Back to the season talk.........I expected to see everyone move up one spot with osu losing; did not happen.....should have, but it did not. Life goes on. 3 things need to happen; Georgia beats Alabama....and I think it has to be by a couple scores, Michigan loses to Iowa in the B1G Championship, and Baylor beats OK State. Even if the first two things happen, there is a shot. 

so, now......20 % chance of getting in. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Back to the season talk.........I expected to see everyone move up one spot with osu losing; did not happen.....should have, but it did not. Life goes on. 3 things need to happen; Georgia beats Alabama....and I think it has to be by a couple scores, Michigan loses to Iowa in the B1G Championship, and Baylor beats OK State. Even if the first two things happen, there is a shot. 

so, now......20 % chance of getting in. 

Georgia beats Alabama

Houston beats Cincinnati 

Notre Dame hires Luke Fickell

Notre Dame beats Georgia

Michigan beats Oklahoma State

Notre Dame beats Michigan

Does Fickell get a statue? 

• Like 1

Peter King said it best. "Any right thinking person would shrug their shoulders at something like this. It's just plain wrong. Full stop."

One university shouldn't be allowed to make an offer to a coach who is in the middle or end of a season. It's morally gross. But they do it because the NCAA allows it, and money is more important than morals. Notre Dame did it to Cincinnati twelve years ago and they may even do it again this year. It needs to come to a head. A player can't transfer and play at another school during the middle of the season, so why should the head coach. It's a head scratcher. 

After all these players at Notre Dame have gone through with their head coach........recruitment, development, games, life, ect., they shouldn't have to find out on social media that their head coach jumped ship one week before the announcement of the playoffs. Brian Kelly has character flaws, plain and simple. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I've heard that both Rees and Freeman are interviewing for the head coaching position, possibly today

The problem with that, of course, is that means whichever one doesn’t get the job is probably gone. If neither gets the job, they’re probably both gone. Freeman might be the most valuable assistant the program has had in a long time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The problem with that, of course, is that means whichever one doesn’t get the job is probably gone. If neither gets the job, they’re probably both gone. Freeman might be the most valuable assistant the program has had in a long time.

In a perfect world they hire Freeman as HC, and Rees as OC/Associate head coach possibly with a major bump in pay... Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world and they'll probably end up losing 1 of the 2.  If they lose both, then this top 10 recruiting class will take a major, major hit that I'm not sure Fickell or whoever they hire would be able to fix in a short time. 

33 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I agree 100%

14 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

In a perfect world they hire Freeman as HC, and Rees as OC/Associate head coach possibly with a major bump in pay... Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world and they'll probably end up losing 1 of the 2.  If they lose both, then this top 10 recruiting class will take a major, major hit that I'm not sure Fickell or whoever they hire would be able to fix in a short time. 

This could easily turn into a 5 yr. setback for a program that was a few players from competing with the ultra-elite programs. I think to have any hopes of salvaging what had shaped up to be the best recruiting class in years they will have to hire Freeman as HC, and hope they can talk Reese into staying at least a couple more years. Failing that, they need a home run hire of a well known name to try and stop the de-commits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BTF said:

Peter King said it best. "Any right thinking person would shrug their shoulders at something like this. It's just plain wrong. Full stop."

One university shouldn't be allowed to make an offer to a coach who is in the middle or end of a season. It's morally gross. But they do it because the NCAA allows it, and money is more important than morals. Notre Dame did it to Cincinnati twelve years ago and they may even do it again this year. It needs to come to a head. A player can't transfer and play at another school during the middle of the season, so why should the head coach. It's a head scratcher. 

After all these players at Notre Dame have gone through with their head coach........recruitment, development, games, life, ect., they shouldn't have to find out on social media that their head coach jumped ship one week before the announcement of the playoffs. Brian Kelly has character flaws, plain and simple. 

Notre Dame's regular season has technically ended as has LSU's. Early signing period for college football is December 15th, it would look a whole lot worse had Brian Kelly let a dozen or so kids sign their LOI's (some even early enrolles) only to bolt after the first of the year. It's the way these things work, there's no easy way to leave one job for another.

As far as the social media aspect goes, how much control does Brian Kelly have over that? Social media is the problem. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

This could easily turn into a 5 yr. setback for a program that was a few players from competing with the ultra-elite programs. I think to have any hopes of salvaging what had shaped up to be the best recruiting class in years they will have to hire Freeman as HC, and hope they can talk Reese into staying at least a couple more years. Failing that, they need a home run hire of a well known name to try and stop the de-commits.

I couldn't have said that better myself. Freeman is the key to keeping everything ND built in order. Is it a risk hiring Freeman with no head coaching experience? Sure, but Ryan Day is proof that sometimes the reward is worth that risk. Tommy Reese is 29 years old, I can't see hiring him. Although Freeman is only 35, he has 6 years experience over Tommy Reese. His defense is probably better than Tommy's offense. And it's well known that his recruiting is up there with the best in the country. In my opinion, it's Freeman, Fickell or bust. 

48 minutes ago, DE said:

So what happens if BK takes BOTH, Rees and Freeman with him to L$U?

Call it a hunch, but I say Bill O'Brien becomes the next HFB Coach at ND.

That would not be a bad hire. He did really well at Penn State; especially under the circumstances he was placed in. 

1 hour ago, DE said:

So what happens if BK takes BOTH, Rees and Freeman with him to L$U?

Call it a hunch, but I say Bill O'Brien becomes the next HFB Coach at ND.

They both want to be the head coach of Notre Dame, otherwise they would already be gone. 

24 minutes ago, BTF said:

They both want to be the head coach of Notre Dame, otherwise they would already be gone. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Rees leave. Freeman on the other hand, only leaves if UND isn't hiring Fickell because that means Freeman is either being promoted at Notre Dame or taking Fickell's job at Cincinnati. 

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Rees leave. Freeman on the other hand, only leaves if UND isn't hiring Fickell because that means Freeman is either being promoted at Notre Dame or taking Fickell's job at Cincinnati. 

If Fickell is smart, he talks to Freeman to try and get him to stay. 

20 minutes ago, Irishman said:

If Fickell is smart, he talks to Freeman to try and get him to stay. 

He'd be smart too but sounds like LSU is prepared to make Freeman the highest paid DC in America at well over $2mil/yr. But I don't think Freeman is a coordinator anywhere next year, he'll be a head coach. 

Support from ND football players and recruits pours out for Marcus Freeman

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/football/2021/12/01/these-nd-football-players-support-marcus-freeman-next-head-coach/8821918002/

Meanwhile, former, current and potential future Notre Dame players have taken to social media to advocate for their preference with the Twitter hashtag #FreemanEra.

That would be current Irish defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman considered as one of the top assistants in college football. He has not been a college head coach.

Here are a list of some people that put would put their trust in Freeman.