Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Use of Drones to Spy on Football Practices

3 hours ago, XStar said:

Having never coached football in my life, can someone tell me exactly how beneficial this would be? 

You would see the team running plays just like you would by watching their game tape.  A drone flying at that distance wouldn't pick up the conversation or terminology being used to call plays I wouldn't think.  Maybe you see them practice a play you they otherwise might not have been expecting and preparing for it if they can gain insight on when it might be used.  Also, if the team knows they are being watched, they could do things to send the other team on a wild goose chase by showing them things they never intend to use/do or even set them up for whatever it is they really do want to run.  It seems like awfully extreme measures to go to for minimal benefit I would think.  The time and effort it would take to do this would seem better spent on preparing your own team.  

It is a two edged sword... its another paranoid factor too for a drone being flown over a practice field. 

On 7/28/2021 at 12:22 PM, Goose Liver said:

This is a real thing in WV... this has been going on for the past several months. I would like everyone to weigh in on this topic. It is easy to swoop down from the hills over a practice field.

With the amount of video that is available, why would anyone need to spy on anyone else. Granted, you don't get practice video on someone, but, with Hudl, etc. Why would you need such nonsense and tomfoolery?

55 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

With the amount of video that is available, why would anyone need to spy on anyone else. Granted, you don't get practice video on someone, but, with Hudl, etc. Why would you need such nonsense and tomfoolery?

Formations are the only thing I can think of where it might help, although I agree the cost/benefit probably wouldn’t be worth it, IMO. 

Especially if there is a new coach/scheme in town. Evansville Central is an example. Last year they went strictly Wing T. Completely different than their offense the year before. Of course @Titan32 had his drone footage so Gibson Southern knew what was coming in the scrimmage. Lol This year new coach, Andy Zirkelbach says he will air it out more. But is that no-backs? Spread? 11 personnel? The oopty-oop from Varsity Blues? I don’t know if WV has a scrimmage prior to games like Indiana or maybe their wk 1 opponent refuses to trade scrimmage film. 

Not sure if a drone could pick up that, but that is the only thing I would think could be valuable. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Formations are the only thing I can think of where it might help, although I agree the cost/benefit probably wouldn’t be worth it, IMO. 

Especially if there is a new coach/scheme in town. Evansville Central is an example. Last year they went strictly Wing T. Completely different than their offense the year before. Of course @Titan32 had his drone footage so Gibson Southern knew what was coming in the scrimmage. Lol This year new coach, Andy Zirkelbach says he will air it out more. But is that no-backs? Spread? 11 personnel? The oopty-oop from Varsity Blues? I don’t know if WV has a scrimmage prior to games like Indiana or maybe their wk 1 opponent refuses to trade scrimmage film. 

Not sure if a drone could pick up that, but that is the only thing I would think could be valuable. 

Hopefully he won't throw a baby fit like the last guy when our #1s come out after 9 plays.  

• Haha 1

I believe there are FFA regulations regarding the use of drones over populated areas. 

Regarding taking pot shots at a drone, you own as high up over your property as you can reasonably use. You are also responsible for any projectile you might use to knock down said drone, and what that projectile might do when it inevitably comes back to Earth. 

Then of course we have laws regarding possession of firearms on school property. And at least in the great state of Indiana, if there’s HS practice there, it’s school property. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

The Future Farmers of America has regulatory powers over drones?

Haven't you heard of cloud seeding?

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:27 AM, DE said:

Should be illegal.

You know, some people are really good shots...

I try to as little as possible.

It appears I need to specify.......

THIS.  WAS.  A.  JOKE!

On 7/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, Justasportsfan said:

The game constantly changes..I've been on the field where the defense called out the offensive play we were attempting to run n they still couldn't stop it..a buddy that played in the NFL said the same thing happens at that level...it may be more about signals being sent in rather than teams knowing what formations are being used...I could see a potential issues when wrinkles are introduced during playoff time..security!!!😁

When in grade school, maybe 7th grade, I'm playing right guard.  An opposing player, across from me, looked at me and said, "we're running the ball right over you and we will score."  They did and they did.☹️

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

When in grade school, maybe 7th grade, I'm playing right guard.  An opposing player, across from me, looked at me and said, "we're running the ball right over you and we will score."  They did and they did.☹️

Señor GIF - slap - Greatest GIFs Of All Time - Pronounced GIF or JIF? -  Cheezburger