Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A postseason talk

33 minutes ago, Trojan12 said:

#1 and #20 are 2 of the most skilled receivers that they've had in a while. The offense is more athletic then years past and the offensive staff is doing a nice job getting those guys the ball in space. 

I watched the Roncalli-EC game with great interest.  Roncalli and Chatard both used to be 2 TE, power toss, and a cloud of dust to great success.   About 5 years ago, they both seemed to go to more of a spread formation, but still running a lot of read options  and powers.  (Kind of coincided with Lorenzano and Scrifries retiring, I think.)

I thought EC ran a similar spread against Roncalli, but with a lot power running principles.  (I think they went wildcat in the redzone and 1 time to start a possesion in the 2nd half)   First time I recall seeing EC in that type of spread.  Don't remember it  in any of the previous Roncalli-EC games.

2 hours ago, fenderbender said:

I watched the Roncalli-EC game with great interest.  Roncalli and Chatard both used to be 2 TE, power toss, and a cloud of dust to great success.   About 5 years ago, they both seemed to go to more of a spread formation, but still running a lot of read options  and powers.  (Kind of coincided with Lorenzano and Scrifries retiring, I think.)

I thought EC ran a similar spread against Roncalli, but with a lot power running principles.  (I think they went wildcat in the redzone and 1 time to start a possesion in the 2nd half)   First time I recall seeing EC in that type of spread.  Don't remember it  in any of the previous Roncalli-EC games.

You're correct on EC running more spread this year.. They have run out of a lot of different formations to best utilize what they have. I don't believe they have the size of previous years but they have more speed. They're very dynamic on trying to get their speed in space. 

10 hours ago, Goose Liver said:

Hobart is peaking.

Offensively yes.

I have a hard time believing they have replaced the two D1 kids on the defensive side of the ball  

That is where they ran into problems in the State Finals.  (Honestly, everyone except East Central had problems stopping Roncalli.) 

21 hours ago, temptation said:

Looking forward to the 5A/6A schools taking the night off and enjoying some 1A-4A action.

Gonna get Brebeuf/West Lafayette on one screen and Leo/East Noble on the other…those seem to be two of the big ones.

Good luck all!

21 minutes ago, sr1 said:

We are still $770.00 away from being able to pay all the forums bills this year. A $30.00 donation to the Gridiron Digest allows you to enjoy the board without the adds. 

5 minutes ago, southend said:

I’m thinking Mooresville in this one

I don’t know much about both teams this season, other than one of them will host the sectional championship, if Martinsville beats South Dearborn. But I heard Mooresville D is a little shaky, and EC apparently losing star players

• Like 1

15 hours ago, southend said:

I’m thinking Mooresville in this one

Mooresville D is very suspect.  They give up a lot of points.

EC made a few uncharacteristic TOs last year.  That coupled with COVID restricted kids really cost them the game.

Mooresville QB throws a great ball and he has some weapons.

EC kind of reminds me of the Decatur Central team that beat Mooresville.  Physical and can run the ball.  EC seems to have found a good passing game with #1 catching the ball.

EC gets some pressure on the QB and wins a close one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

EC made a few uncharacteristic TOs last year.  That coupled with COVID restricted kids really cost them the game.

EC kind of reminds me of the Decatur Central team that beat Mooresville.  Physical and can run the ball.  EC seems to have found a good passing game with #1 catching the ball.

I think I am leaning EC on this one, judging by what I am reading about Mooresville-EC this year. But it’s going to be within at least 7 points, since Mooresville will put up a fight at home and definitely a large home crowd. I don’t really care who wins this game, since I care Martinsville winning. Which would potentially make us the regional host (If we get our sectionals, of course).

22 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Watched Mooresville a couple of times this year. They have given up a large amount of points against 2 teams (Decatur Central and Plainfield). They did give up 24 (Whiteland) and 21 (Danville) who are solid offensive teams. I wouldn't know for sure but I would imagine with Perry scoring 27 a couple scores came against 2nd string defense.

Against Decatur Central they struggled with Jevon Tracy (who is a spectacular athlete) and their RB. Against Plainfield the QB gave them fits running and passing. Offensively Mooresville has weapons and they don't seem to favor just one they spread it around quite a bit between their WR's RB, and QB.

East Central and Mooresville only have 1 common opponent and that is Greenwood. East Central beat Greenwood 44-14 and Mooresville beat Greenwood 70-14 (it was 42-0 after 1st qtr and 56-0 at the half).

I think will be a very interesting game and likely will come down to which defense gets that one or a couple of stops.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Watched Mooresville a couple of times this year. They have given up a large amount of points against 2 teams (Decatur Central and Plainfield). They did give up 24 (Whiteland) and 21 (Danville) who are solid offensive teams. I wouldn't know for sure but I would imagine with Perry scoring 27 a couple scores came against 2nd string defense.

Against Decatur Central they struggled with Jevon Tracy (who is a spectacular athlete) and their RB. Against Plainfield the QB gave them fits running and passing. Offensively Mooresville has weapons and they don't seem to favor just one they spread it around quite a bit between their WR's RB, and QB.

East Central and Mooresville only have 1 common opponent and that is Greenwood. East Central beat Greenwood 44-14 and Mooresville beat Greenwood 70-14 (it was 42-0 after 1st qtr and 56-0 at the half).

I think will be a very interesting game and likely will come down to which defense gets that one or a couple of stops.

All solid points.   

I too have watched Mooresville a couple of times.   After watching the first game, I thought Brimmage would have had a bigger year running the ball.

This may sound weird, but I think Mooresville last year and this year do not have enough "middles".

Their lineman last year were huge and looked like they have OK size this year.  Last year, O'Conner and #1 had pretty decent size, but after that the dropped to what seemed like a bunch of guys under 5'10" at the LB positions that seemed pretty light.  (~180lbs?).  This is where I thought Roncalli really pushed them around.   

This will be the game I am going to watch.   I think EC has equivlient talent at the skilled positions to Mooresville this year after watching them play Roncalli.  Their WRs are better than in years past.

43 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

All solid points.   

I too have watched Mooresville a couple of times.   After watching the first game, I thought Brimmage would have had a bigger year running the ball.

This may sound weird, but I think Mooresville last year and this year do not have enough "middles".

Their lineman last year were huge and looked like they have OK size this year.  Last year, O'Conner and #1 had pretty decent size, but after that the dropped to what seemed like a bunch of guys under 5'10" at the LB positions that seemed pretty light.  (~180lbs?).  This is where I thought Roncalli really pushed them around.   

This will be the game I am going to watch.   I think EC has equivlient talent at the skilled positions to Mooresville this year after watching them play Roncalli.  Their WRs are better than in years past.

Agree on Brimmage to start. Then as I started looking at the stats on the year it seems they really spread it around a lot. 5 players with over 20 catches all with an average of over 13.5 per reception. Their 2 runners QB and RB averaging around 5 yards per carry, it is really spread through many players. This is definitely what makes their offense so good, can't key on just one.

I agree with the middles comment and noticed that as well. I do think this will be an interesting game. 1 stop by either defense could be very critical. In games like that Special Teams can be super important and tip the game to one team or the other.

8 hours ago, southend said:

Then we have Reitz and poor Northview. Probably either don’t have snowballs chance in hell , against the central indiana big boys here. Okay 

I don't think anyone is discrediting Ev. Reitz or Northview. Just discussing what will be one of the big match-ups this Friday (East Central @ Mooresville). That being said Roncalli is likely the favorite for 4A/ Defending State Champions, sitting at 10-0, looking good on film (haven't seen them live yet this year) definitely makes them a favorite. Still a lot of football to go though.

http://i.imgur.com/pnzJTq3.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, southend said:

Then we have Reitz and poor Northview. Probably either don’t have snowballs chance in hell , against the central indiana big boys here. Okay 

Have seen Reitz play.  They don't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it to the state finals.

Personally I think they lose by at least 2 scores to NV.  (We will see how well this ages)

2 minutes ago, southend said:

FINALS! Are you kidding me! Who said anything about FINALS. 

OK, I did put words in your mouth.  I am pretty good at that.

Reitz does not have a snowballs chance in hell of getting past EC/Mooresville winner if they were to make it that far.

• Haha 1