Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A postseason talk

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Maybe 4A is still more wide open that I originally thought?  Heard East Central got a lot of breaks but if I’m Mooresville, Leo, Hobart, Jasper, Chatard, or Mt. Vernon, I woke up a bit more confident this morning.

Not sure of any breaks last night but they played without one of their best offensive weapons (most of the season).  It was a tie game for 3/4 and could have went either way.  

At the end of they day no one at EC cares about regular season records, rankings, or conference championships.  We need to get out of sectionals and the opponent in round two has been our Achilles heel.  

15 minutes ago, BL1985trojans said:

Not sure of any breaks last night but they played without one of their best offensive weapons (most of the season).  It was a tie game for 3/4 and could have went either way.  

At the end of they day no one at EC cares about regular season records, rankings, or conference championships.  We need to get out of sectionals and the opponent in round two has been our Achilles heel.  

That was a good game between Roncalli and EC.

2 hours ago, BL1985trojans said:

Would not say they “got” any breaks. 

I would say they “made” their breaks by winning the turnover battle, the penalty battle, and made a few big plays. 

I thought it was interesting that they showed the spread passing game and the 3-4 defense in this game.  

Gives other teams something to think about. 

8 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Leo 14-0 vs 1-7 Dekalb.  Hmmmm……

Leo runs the ball!  The field was a QUAGMIRE before the game even started,  

I was there earlier in the week, and DeKalb's field was a total disaster then.  Following 3.5 inches of rain for consecutive days, I can't imagine what it like to even try to execute an offensive scheme.

The final score says exactly what happened.  Leo won, nuff said.  

• Like 1

There are a lot of grass fields in the same situation.  Last week the radio announcers said there was a large puddle on the field at Mishawaka.  Unless the IHSAA deems a field unplayable the games go on since not ever school or corporation can afford turf.

It’s really quite a shame that once again we will have a P/P school in Roncalli who will win the state championship game by 40+ points. And they might win every other playoff game by 3 scores.

The last public school team from the North to beat a Roncalli team like this was back in 2005, and according to John Harrell that was the *only* time it has ever happened. 

Calling 4A wide open is a joke. Mooresville can get the job done, but it would be a monumental upset. 

29 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

It’s really quite a shame that once again we will have a P/P school in Roncalli who will win the state championship game by 40+ points.

In your opinion. Personally, I think Roncalli is a great story. A dominant team for a long time, they went to 4 straight championship games in the early 2000s. Then they went 25-27 over the next 5 yrs., and never got beyond a 2nd round sectional game. Then they slowly began to build back up, but they didn’t win a sectional again until 2014, and by 2016 they had a 15-0 state champion. Then they took a dip, going 18-15 the next 3 seasons before their championship last season. 

The point is, between the success factor and the up and down nature of high school classes, Roncalli’s success has been cyclical … just like that of every other program that is considered “dominant.” You don’t like Roncalli winning championships? Have a little patience. History tells us there will be a “down” cycle soon.

• Like 2

Someone did not watch the game on Friday.

If EC's receiver had not downed himself on the wrong side of the first down marker, we might be talking about a new #1 in 4A.

Not sold on Mooresville until their D shows they can stop someone.    The Mooresville-EC game will be one of the better second round games in the state.

26 minutes ago, temptation said:

Or Chatard.

The Sectional 22 game of Chatard at Frankfort really shouldn't even be played for due to player safety issues. Just yet another flaw in the primarily enrollment based classification system.  Frankfort is a "4A" school in name only.

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

The Sectional 22 game of Chatard at Frankfort really shouldn't even be played

I concur. A 2-6 team has no business being in the postseason but that's for a different thread.

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Frankfort is a "4A" school in name only.

Incorrect. They're 4A due to enrollment as are the other 60-some teams in 4A other than the teams bumped up due to the success factor. 

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Incorrect. They're 4A due to enrollment as are the other 60-some teams in 4A other than the teams bumped up due to the success factor. 

And yet we continually seem to have the idea that the larger the enrollment the generally better football players and OMG! Athletes, both in quality and quantity,  a program will have access to.  It's why it's anathema to even consider the notion of a Pioneer playing a Center Grove, right?  Yet history tells us this is not always true.  I have maintained that Frankfort is a "4A" school with a mid-2A sized athletic talent base, at best.  And that discrepancy will play out yet again this Friday, and it really does either side no good.  Honestly, Chatard doesn't even need to send the first stringers to this game, their JV should be able to easily win by 4-5 touchdowns.

• Thanks 1

EC vs Mooresville is going to be a hell of a game after they both squash their inferior opponents on Friday.

Mooresville’ is a great 4A team, however their defense is suspect. Plainfield could have easily hung 49 on them if they didn’t fumble inside the 10 on their last meaningful offensive drive, they were down 56-42 and Mooresville took the fumble to the house. Mooresville’s offense is great, however. The offense has looked good to great in every game except Whiteland thus far and Nick Patterson is a great quarterback. The Danville and Martinsville shellackings also look great on Mooresville’s resume.

EC looks like a package. They dismantled a good Lawrenceburg team and their two losses are both respectable (Roncalli and Cincinnati Moeller). Their defense has been fantastic with the exception of those two losses, where they gave up 39 and 35. The offense has looked really nice too. They have put up 21+ in every game and have some playmakers.

Both teams will be well-rested heading into that game. Especially considering their opponents in the first round are the mighty Jennings County and Greenwood. However, I will take East Central. If they played like they did against Roncalli, they could definitely pull off a win against Mooresville. Despite playing in a worse conference, EC is going to be more battle-tasted heading into the game, which could help their cause as well.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

EC vs Mooresville is going to be a hell of a game after they both squash their inferior opponents on Friday.

Mooresville’ is a great 4A team, however their defense is suspect. Plainfield could have easily hung 49 on them if they didn’t fumble inside the 10 on their last meaningful offensive drive, they were down 56-42 and Mooresville took the fumble to the house. Mooresville’s offense is great, however. The offense has looked good to great in every game except Whiteland thus far and Nick Patterson is a great quarterback. The Danville and Martinsville shellackings also look great on Mooresville’s resume.

EC looks like a package. They dismantled a good Lawrenceburg team and their two losses are both respectable (Roncalli and Cincinnati Moeller). Their defense has been fantastic with the exception of those two losses, where they gave up 39 and 35. The offense has looked really nice too. They have put up 21+ in every game and have some playmakers.

Both teams will be well-rested heading into that game. Especially considering their opponents in the first round are the mighty Jennings County and Greenwood. However, I will take East Central. If they played like they did against Roncalli, they could definitely pull off a win against Mooresville. Despite playing in a worse conference, EC is going to be more battle-tasted heading into the game, which could help their cause as well.

Putting the horse before the cart? Lol

Mississienwa is a young team.  Starting several sophomores and a few freshman.  They are big up front and have even bigger players on the sideline.  Opening game Senior QB had a season ending injury in the opening game of the season and the Sophomore QB that replaced him was playing wide out.  They are coming together and may surprise Leo in the Regional.  

Leo may be the team to beat in the North based on record however their closest game of the season was against East Noble with a final score of 40-32.  East Noble may surprise Leo in the Sectional game.  

Leo and Mississinewa can both score in bunches as they both appear to have high power offenses with lots of weapons.  Their opponents records are very similar as are the scores of the games.  If these two end up playing for the Regional title, it will be a good game.  It will come down to turnovers and defense.

The North bracket is pretty wide open and Mississinewa, Leo, Hobart, and East Noble are the teams that stand out to be playing Thanksgiving weekend.

Chatard has history on their side.  They are 4A because of success factor.  They will struggle this year and next then go back down to 3A where they will win State titles again then be moved back up to 4A.  This is the trend that they have.

Mooresville may surprise people in the South but Roncalli is the team to beat in the South.  Also in the South East Central, Jasper, and Mount Vernon may pose a threat to Roncalli.  I would say the South bracket is a toss up.

Many of the 4A teams still play a number of players both sides of the ball a lot.  It will be a fun class to watch to see who comes out on top.

Good luck to all teams this week and throughout the tournament.  If teams can stay injury free there could be a few upsets over the next few weeks.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Trojan12 said:

For East Central it will be interesting to see how healthy Josh Ringer is and how he gets back into the flow of the offense. This is the most well rounded offense that EC has had in some time.

They are throwing the ball better than I have seen in the past.  Or maybe it is #1 is just better at catching the ball and outrunning everyone on the field than I have seen in the past.

He is a player!

1 minute ago, fenderbender said:

They are throwing the ball better than I have seen in the past.  Or maybe it is #1 is just better at catching the ball and outrunning everyone on the field than I have seen in the past.

He is a player!

#1 and #20 are 2 of the most skilled receivers that they've had in a while. The offense is more athletic then years past and the offensive staff is doing a nice job getting those guys the ball in space.