Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A postseason talk

37 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

My my my, how the times have changed in 4A.  This 4A Playoff season has been exciting to say the least all across the board! 

Hard to believe this is the same Mt. Vernon that lost at home to Nobleville 57-36.  Noblesville is 6A, but they were the worst team in the HCC this season with their only other win a non conference home game against TH South. 

On 10/12/2021 at 9:34 PM, TigerFan20 said:

Here is what John Harrell’s predicted post sectional 

North Regionals 

Hobart over New Prairie 

Leo over Mississinewa 

South Regionals

Roncalli over Mount Vernon-FortVille

Mooresville over Evansville Memorial 

Semi States

Hobart over Leo 

Roncalli over Mooresville 

State Championship 

Roncalli over Hobart 

This is based on his prediction percentages 

http://scoreboard.homestead.com/football/pix.htm

Absolutely amazing that none of this came to fruition.   

Games on "paper" are what we need to stop focusing on....

Edited by Yuccaguy

On 10/29/2021 at 3:10 PM, MICFan34 said:

If it's as rainy as expected, the edge 100% goes to EC. They can ground & pound, and do a really good job of being physical against the run, defensively. 

I think one team that has been under the radar in 4A is Mt. Vernon. They gave up 57 to a unique offense in Noblesville but they've been dominant in the HHC this year. (I know they're ranked 4th in the polls but almost no one is giving them a chance to beat the Royals.) Roncalli struggles mightily against good passing offenses and Mt. Vernon's big-time pass game could give Roncalli fits. 

I nailed them as an under the radar threat 😉 but I still am amazed about Northridge! The atmosphere for the 4A game is going to be electric with these two communities experiencing a state game at LOS for the first time! 

Has Northridge or MV won State in any other sports?

1 hour ago, MICFan34 said:

I nailed them as an under the radar threat 😉 but I still am amazed about Northridge! The atmosphere for the 4A game is going to be electric with these two communities experiencing a state game at LOS for the first time! 

If Mt. Vernon hasn’t, I’m expecting that they will soon enough.   They are basically becoming a smaller version of HSE as regards demographics, etc.  Don’t know about growth but I’d have to imagine they are tracking to become 5A in the upcoming years.

• Like 1

What some may be overlooking about this Mt. Vernon team is that the Seniors on this team were Freshmen when Mike Kirschner came to town, and he was their coach for 3 years. Let's hope the new coaching staff can keep that momentum going. I have seen the same situation head programs in the opposite direction at another school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MICFan34 said:

Northridge has won a team state title in softball in 88 and various individuals in wrestling, swimming, cross country, etc....

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Northridge has won a team state title in softball in 88 and various individuals in wrestling, swimming, cross country, etc....

In football though we were bottom dwellers in the NLC until Tom Wogomon took over in 13. 

In 14 we won our first sectional and regional football titles in school history. 

Coach Wog retired after last season, after the school built a brand new athletics facility including all Turf football, baseball, and softball fields.

Coach Eppley was promoted this season at 26 years old, went 5-4 in the regular season after countless injuries. 

We had a running clock against us in our last 2 regular season games, but figured things out and made adjustments in a 50ish point swing against NorthWood in the sectional opener compared to the score between the two a few weeks earlier.

Took care of business against the only team we were arguably favorites against in the playoffs in Columbia City, then upset Leo, Ole Miss, and New Prairie to make state. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No doubt the senior group at Mt Vernon is a great collection of talent. A regional, sectional, and potentially state title over their 3 years of varsity football. 

4A south has been in quite a flux over the last decade. Columbus East and New Pal bumped up. Memorial and Chatard joining. Not to get ahead, but will they be rejoining 4A next year? And Roncalli only won sectional,  which means they will NOT be able to accumulate enough points to be bumped up as well. 

It looks like it will continue to be a changing class over the next few seasons. 

8 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

No doubt the senior group at Mt Vernon is a great collection of talent. A regional, sectional, and potentially state title over their 3 years of varsity football. 

4A south has been in quite a flux over the last decade. Columbus East and New Pal bumped up. Memorial and Chatard joining. Not to get ahead, but will they be rejoining 4A next year? And Roncalli only won sectional,  which means they will NOT be able to accumulate enough points to be bumped up as well. 

It looks like it will continue to be a changing class over the next few seasons. 

New Pal is back in 4A next year, 4A South will be a meat grinder with EC,Mooresville, Mt Vernon, Roncalli, New Pal, Chatard and Memorial 

Edited by TigerFan20

4 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

To be honest I still don't have a feel for where things stand and if this is Yr1 or Yr2 of SF. We have enough points (2) to stay up in 4A for a few more years, which is about all I know. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tango said:

To be honest I still don't have a feel for where things stand and if this is Yr1 or Yr2 of SF. We have enough points (2) to stay up in 4A for a few more years, which is about all I know. 

Yeah…I’m still a bit confused.  Actually a lot.  Apparently we are in a 3 year cycle now.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

In football though we were bottom dwellers in the NLC until Tom Wogomon took over in 13. 

In 14 we won our first sectional and regional football titles in school history. 

Coach Wog retired after last season, after the school built a brand new athletics facility including all Turf football, baseball, and softball fields.

Coach Eppley was promoted this season at 26 years old, went 5-4 in the regular season after countless injuries. 

We had a running clock against us in our last 2 regular season games, but figured things out and made adjustments in a 50ish point swing against NorthWood in the sectional opener compared to the score between the two a few weeks earlier.

Took care of business against the only team we were arguably favorites against in the playoffs in Columbia City, then upset Leo, Ole Miss, and New Prairie to make state. 

Amazing post season run.  Clearly the surprise of the entire playoffs this year.