Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1A Tournament Discussion

3 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

According to IHSAA enrollment for last year they were at 542.  Daneville is at the top of 3A at 801.  Seems Luers planted firmly in 2A until they win state this year.

Norwell was at 800 so they’re in the same boat as AC in that they’re benefitting this year by playing down a class from where they should be (3A v 4A)

Too bad for COVID.  Can you imagine if the 2A sectional was Luers, AC, Eastside. 

What's going to be interesting is what 1A will look like with AC in 2A along with, likely Winamac bouncing back to 2A next go-round due to enrollment.  Assuming LCC and Pioneer hang on to staying in 2A, that takes out plenty of the more recent contenders along with size.  Covenant Christian may well end up 2A via enrollment as well.  All they need is a regional to be bumped up, but they are facing off against Lutheran in sectionals and I think that Lutheran is the odds-on-favorite to not only win that sectional but also represent the south at LOS this season.

Of the "power" teams left, that leaves Lutheran with no chance of worrying about enrollment bump up and, having lost to Covenant Christian in sectionals has no worry about being SF'd even with a blue ring.  'busco and South Adams ... although enrollment could creep on them as well ... and up-and-comer Parke Heritage would remain in 1A as the power trio in 1A. 

Of interest is, of all the schools listed here, outside of Lutheran, LCC and Pioneer are the smallest.

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

What's going to be interesting is what 1A will look like with AC in 2A along with, likely Winamac bouncing back to 2A next go-round due to enrollment.  Assuming LCC and Pioneer hang on to staying in 2A, that takes out plenty of the more recent contenders along with size.  Covenant Christian may well end up 2A via enrollment as well.  All they need is a regional to be bumped up, but they are facing off against Lutheran in sectionals and I think that Lutheran is the odds-on-favorite to not only win that sectional but also represent the south at LOS this season.

Of the "power" teams left, that leaves Lutheran with no chance of worrying about enrollment bump up and, having lost to Covenant Christian in sectionals has no worry about being SF'd even with a blue ring.  'busco and South Adams ... although enrollment could creep on them as well ... and up-and-comer Parke Heritage would remain in 1A as the power trio in 1A. 

Of interest is, of all the schools listed here, outside of Lutheran, LCC and Pioneer are the smallest.

Hey Foxbats how is LaRoccas looking?

5 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Surprised how SA went from 2A down to 1A and seem to be firmly planted there. AC is getting kids transferring and moving in because of their academic standards and excellence. They also are getting rural Bellmont kids after Decatur brought in Chicago residents to town as well. I'd be curious how close Bellmont would be to dropping a class from losing enrollment.  I hate to say it like that, but it's really how the dynamics are playing out in Adams County. 

Just now, Donnie Baker said:

Hey Foxbats how is LaRoccas looking?

Haven't been by 9th Street in a couple of weeks and, having retired from coaching before the 2020 season, haven't played on that field in two seasons now.  With that said, the new work on the field several years ago has made it one of the premier 1A ... 2A in SF years ... grass fields to play on. The drainage there was amazing and the grass mix, Bermuda mixed in for durability, meant the field held up well into the tourney season.  With that said, it may get stress-tested with LCC playing BC last week and with the Tipton slugfest that's going to happen tonight followed by hosting South Vermillion next week.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Haven't been by 9th Street in a couple of weeks and, having retired from coaching before the 2020 season, haven't played on that field in two seasons now.  With that said, the new work on the field several years ago has made it one of the premier 1A ... 2A in SF years ... grass fields to play on. The drainage there was amazing and the grass mix, Bermuda mixed in for durability, meant the field held up well into the tourney season.  With that said, it may get stress-tested with LCC playing BC last week and with the Tipton slugfest that's going to happen tonight followed by hosting South Vermillion next week.

U forgot... Historical.... should b on da national register....   😁

20 hours ago, Gipper said:

Oh yeah?  Never discount Central Catholic.  I know it won't happen for awhile, but I'd love to see a team from the eastern 812 area such as Switzerland County do something in the tournament.  Yes, I have Swiss heritage, but that's not important right now...

Forgot CC is in 2A--yes I did play with a helmet...

2 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

I hope Eastside can give Luers a game but I think the Eagles will need rain and sloppy field to stay close. 

Luers likes the field wet ... I believe that @Coach Nowlin can attest to that. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best thing I see on here is people overlooking South Putnam in 1A.  They beat Parke Heritage last year in the sectional and didn't lose very many players.  They are looking very good going into the tourney - but will get tested tonight at 2A #4 Linton.  Coach Sorrell has them humming along.  They will not go away easily to any 1A opponent...their only loss so far is to 3A #12 Owen Valley back in like week 3.  Lutheran would have an advantage over South Put....their schedule is the toughest 1A schedule I have seen among the top 5-10 teams.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

If it doesn't rain: What about the length of the grass surface?  

20 hours ago, gonzoron said:

I've heard a rumor they have a sprinkler system.

From the SAC Week 9 thread^^^^^^^^^^

31 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Luers likes the field wet ... I believe that @Coach Nowlin can attest to that. 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Just because you got away with pass interference in the end zone in 1976 doesn’t make it historic and I’ll say it right to your face 

Now I'm curious.  This sounds personal.  😀

Was it Mitchell or Randy doing the interfering?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, foxbat said:

Now I'm curious.  This sounds personal.  😀

Was it Mitchell or Randy doing the interfering?

Pretty sure it was BNB. Or his brother. Tackled a wide open receiver in the end zone with no call. Homer crew.

The visiting team was also charged for parking. As they pulled in someone would check the plates and anything without a 79 prefix was charged $5 to park. And the band was pelted with dye filled water balloons. Catholic hospitality. I swear to God it was!

41 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

Pretty sure it was BNB. Or his brother. Tackled a wide open receiver in the end zone with no call. Homer crew.

The visiting team was also charged for parking. As they pulled in someone would check the plates and anything without a 79 prefix was charged $5 to park. And the band was pelted with dye filled water balloons. Catholic hospitality. I swear to God it was!

So it was Mitchell!

At least you got away with $5 parking, you outta see what the cost for non-Catholics was at the auto-de-fe events in Spain.

I will concede that there are some high school bands that would deserve more than just a pelting with dye-filled water balloons for their horrible renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner ....  or worse, Ironman.  A couple of games I've gone to, there should have been a human sacrifice to atone for those renderings. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

So it was Mitchell!

At least you got away with $5 parking, you outta see what the cost for non-Catholics was at the auto-de-fe events in Spain.

I will concede that there are some high school bands that would deserve more than just a pelting with dye-filled water balloons for their horrible renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner ....  or worse, Ironman.  A couple of games I've gone to, there should have been a human sacrifice to atone for those renderings. 

This was the visiting band and they were in the state finals so they didn’t suck. I swear to God they didn’t