Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

1 hour ago, Stickfish said:

same young man told people he wasn’t going to play this season  acct transfers off the O line.  You heard that as well, no?

sectional in 18 and MVP that year quits the next year as the polos couldn’t, or wouldn’t keep two RBs on the field.  Meanwhile Central had three who saw the field that year, two going both ways.   Check the Middle School and Freshmen records the past two years and get back to me if you wish. 

I’ve never put too much weight on middle school or freshman records in football.  A school can have a healthy feeder program, a competitive varsity program, and still field MS/Frosh/JV teams all over the map.

12 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I’ve never put too much weight on middle school or freshman records in football.  A school can have a healthy feeder program, a competitive varsity program, and still field MS/Frosh/JV teams all over the map.

Just look at the 2019/2020 classes, pretty sure their MS records were not that great 

9 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Same here. I've seen too many kids peak in the 8th grade.

That’s definitely part of it.  We could all name kids who were absolute studs in middle school who, for whatever reason, weren’t all that great in HS.

We’ve also seen kids who weren’t very good as youngsters who became good later.

Kids are physically maturing at those ages and they do it at different times and paces.

But it’s also that varsity teams are made up of 3 (or even 4) grades.  You have kids that go elsewhere and kids that come from elsewhere.  And, of course, coaching makes a big difference, too.

2003 Evansville Reitz (7-0)
2004 Evansville Mater Dei (5-2), Evansville Memorial (5-2), & Evansville Reitz (5-2)
2005 Evansville Reitz (7-0)
2006 Evansville Central (7-0)
2007 Evansville Reitz (7-0)
2008 Evansville Reitz (7-0)
2009 Evansville Reitz (7-0)
2010 Evansville Reitz (7-0)
2011 Castle (7-0)
2012 Castle (7-0)
2013 Evansville Mater Dei (7-0)
2014 Evansville Mater Dei (7-0)
2015 Evansville Mater Dei (7-0)
2016 Evansville Central (6-1) & Evansville Reitz (6-1)
2017 Evansville Central (6-1), Evansville Memorial (6-1) & Evansville Reitz (6-1)
2018 Evansville Memorial (7-0)
2019 Evansville Central (6-1) & Evansville Memorial (6-1)
2020 Evansville Central (9-0)

Throw in Jasper this year and the facts are pretty clear for the conference, however one wishes to color it.  Best of luck to all next year!

Never too early. Some 2021 recaps and notes for 2022:

- Similar to Montgomery at Southridge, I highly doubt Tilly plays football his senior year. He will be focused on Auburn and getting drafted. Castle will still be good though. It helps having a solid RB back, but they will need to replace some key players.

Projected key returnees: LB John Purdy, RB Peyton Guerzini, WR Weston Aigner, WR Antonio Harris

- Central is in a tough spot with new coaching and coming off a rough season, but do return both QBs which always helps. They were missing some key players due to injury throughout the season, so hard to tell how good they will be.

Projected key returnees: RB Rojelio Diaz, RB Porter Rode, QB Blake Herdes, QB Ben Davies, WR Luke Pokorney

- Harrison lost a few of their best players throughout the season which didn't help an already struggling team. They have some young talent but we will have to see if they stick with the program and buy in.

Projected key returnees: RB Albert Wadlington, WR Asher Horn, OL Random Phillips

- Bosse started off promising but struggled late in the year due to some injuries, trouble, and schedule. They do return some solid players and have a lot of talent at the younger levels. But similar to Harrison, we will have to see if that talent sticks with the program and buys in. Mullen is great for that program though.

Projected key returnees: RB/DB Jaiden Thomas, WR Amari Hope, LB/RB Keith Hall

- Reitz showed improvements at times but were very young in a lot of spots. I believe they will return 8 or 9 starters on defense. They will have to replace some key players on offense. If they can field some playmakers and a QB to get them the ball, we may see a winning season from the Panthers coming.

Projected key returnees: WR/DB Roland Vera Jr., WR/DB Hayden Summers, RB Jonas Burnett, LB Ayden Wells, OL Harlen Summers

- Jasper had a great season but really disappointed with a first round loss to NV. They do lose some key players but with Lewis and that offense they will most likely reload every year. Not sure who all they have coming back. If I had to guess we will see a different conference winner though.

Projected key returnees: QB Grant Young, DB Bralen Bair

- Memorial does lose some but has a lot of talent coming up and key players returning. It will be interesting to see if they keep their QB there or give Fisher a shot at it. I think Memorial will still be a strong contender for the conference title with their mix of players returning and young talent coming up.

Projected key returnees: QB Caleb Ellspermann, WR Hugh Pearce, WR Leo Collins, LB Carac Johnson, OL Drew Weinzapfel, OL Edward Hartig

- Vincennes battles hard every game but so far has lacked the team speed and talent to contend with the big boys of the conference. I look for them to make some strides and get an extra win or two next season, I think Salters does a great job with that program.

Projected key returnees: WR Dejuan Gillis, RB/LB Tanner Gilbert

- North always seems like they are on the verge of getting over the hill but have yet to get there. They are very close though. Losing Brawdy and Hankins will hurt but they do have a lot of talent returning.

Projected key returnees: RB Angelo St. Louis, WR Jaylonn Mitchell, TE Kaleb Harris, OL Timmy Dixon, LB Cale Johnson, DL Jaylen Hazelwood 

- Mater Dei had a great season and started to peak in the playoffs before running into the buzzsaw that was Andrean. Unfortunately they lose some key players, but also return some. Their underclassmen are solid too. I think they will be just as good next year.

Projected key returnees: QB Mason Wunderlich, WR Luke McDurmon, WR Ethan Stolz, RB, Joey Pierre, OL Austin Vanover, OL Cody Wells

Feel free to add any other notes or returning players worth mentioning, I'm sure I missed some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Football Fanatic said:

Never too early. Some 2021 recaps and notes for 2022:

- Similar to Montgomery at Southridge, I highly doubt Tilly plays football his senior year. He will be focused on Auburn and getting drafted. Castle will still be good though. It helps having a solid RB back, but they will need to replace some key players.

Projected key returnees: LB John Purdy, RB Peyton Guerzini, WR Weston Aigner, WR Antonio Harris

- Central is in a tough spot with new coaching and coming off a rough season, but do return both QBs which always helps. They were missing some key players due to injury throughout the season, so hard to tell how good they will be.

Projected key returnees: RB Rojelio Diaz, RB Porter Rode, QB Blake Herdes, QB Ben Davies, WR Luke Pokorney

- Harrison lost a few of their best players throughout the season which didn't help an already struggling team. They have some young talent but we will have to see if they stick with the program and buy in.

Projected key returnees: RB Albert Wadlington, WR Asher Horn, OL Random Phillips

- Bosse started off promising but struggled late in the year due to some injuries, trouble, and schedule. They do return some solid players and have a lot of talent at the younger levels. But similar to Harrison, we will have to see if that talent sticks with the program and buys in. Mullen is great for that program though.

Projected key returnees: RB/DB Jaiden Thomas, WR Amari Hope, LB/RB Keith Hall

- Reitz showed improvements at times but were very young in a lot of spots. I believe they will return 8 or 9 starters on defense. They will have to replace some key players on offense. If they can field some playmakers and a QB to get them the ball, we may see a winning season from the Panthers coming.

Projected key returnees: WR/DB Roland Vera Jr., WR/DB Hayden Summers, RB Jonas Burnett, LB Ayden Wells, OL Harlen Summers

- Jasper had a great season but really disappointed with a first round loss to NV. They do lose some key players but with Lewis and that offense they will most likely reload every year. Not sure who all they have coming back. If I had to guess we will see a different conference winner though.

Projected key returnees: QB Grant Young, DB Bralen Bair

- Memorial does lose some but has a lot of talent coming up and key players returning. It will be interesting to see if they keep their QB there or give Fisher a shot at it. I think Memorial will still be a strong contender for the conference title with their mix of players returning and young talent coming up.

Projected key returnees: QB Caleb Ellspermann, WR Hugh Pearce, WR Leo Collins, LB Carac Johnson, OL Drew Weinzapfel, OL Edward Hartig

- Vincennes battles hard every game but so far has lacked the team speed and talent to contend with the big boys of the conference. I look for them to make some strides and get an extra win or two next season, I think Salters does a great job with that program.

Projected key returnees: WR Dejuan Gillis, RB/LB Tanner Gilbert

- North always seems like they are on the verge of getting over the hill but have yet to get there. They are very close though. Losing Brawdy and Hankins will hurt but they do have a lot of talent returning.

Projected key returnees: RB Angelo St. Louis, WR Jaylonn Mitchell, TE Kaleb Harris, OL Timmy Dixon, LB Cale Johnson, DL Jaylen Hazelwood 

- Mater Dei had a great season and started to peak in the playoffs before running into the buzzsaw that was Andrean. Unfortunately they lose some key players, but also return some. Their underclassmen are solid too. I think they will be just as good next year.

Projected key returnees: QB Mason Wunderlich, WR Luke McDurmon, WR Ethan Stolz, RB, Joey Pierre, OL Austin Vanover, OL Cody Wells

Feel free to add any other notes or returning players worth mentioning, I'm sure I missed some.

Nice work Fanatic. MD also returns DL Clay Martin, DL Ethan Money, LB Mitchell Adler, OLB/S Spencer Turner, WR/S Drew Martin. I agree we will be solid again, but we've got some big shoes to fill too. 

• Thanks 1

@Football Fanatic Great info.  I agree with your assessment on Tilly.  I've heard rumors from both sides of town that Castle, along with Reitz and North, have some great young QB talent in the 8th/9th grades. (Rising freshmen and sophomore.)  

I can't say that I followed cub/freshmen games closely enough to say if that is valid info or not.

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

@Football Fanatic Great info.  I agree with your assessment on Tilly.  I've heard rumors from both sides of town that Castle, along with Reitz and North, have some great young QB talent in the 8th/9th grades. (Rising freshmen and sophomore.)  

I can't say that I followed cub/freshmen games closely enough to say if that is valid info or not.

Heard that Reitz may also be getting another young QB and a WR by xfer.

29 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Would like to add DB Jackson Draper, WR/TE/DB Jack Brackett, OL Jack Cassidy, DL Kelton Farmer, DL Kaleb Collins, and some potential sophomores I can’t think of their names 

24 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Based on my knowledge, the Top 4 is probably going to be Memorial, Castle, Mater Dei and Jasper in no particular order, followed by North/Reitz 

My early money is on MD to be atop the list.  That's mostly due to who they have returning vs. who they have to replace.  They lose some good ones, but not as many as the others.

The other top-half teams, IMO, are a puzzle to me...because they lose a number of key guys and I just don't know who they have coming up behind.  Obviously, Castle would take a hit if Tilly doesn't play.  But I don't know what kind of gap existed between him and the guy who would take his place.

8 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

My early money is on MD to be atop the list.  That's mostly due to who they have returning vs. who they have to replace.  They lose some good ones, but not as many as the others.

The other top-half teams, IMO, are a puzzle to me...because they lose a number of key guys and I just don't know who they have coming up behind.  Obviously, Castle would take a hit if Tilly doesn't play.  But I don't know what kind of gap existed between him and the guy who would take his place.

It seems like Tilly's backup is JR Nick Harper, but it appears (judging purely on stats), he has yet recorded any passing attempts in his varsity career. Harper could be the JV QB, but I have no idea. After that, the 3rd string is a freshman I believe. 

For Mater Dei, returning Wunderlich and Pierre on the offense is big for them, although losing a majority of the O-line is concerning for the Offense, and of course, losing Humphries and McDurmon in the receiving corp . 

Edited by TigerFan20

Reitz will return eventually,  I am not sure next year is the year but they have been good for so many years so Reitz and their staff will eventually get it turned around. In reference to transfers you never really know anything. Central had a run of getting all the great transfers and Harrison had a good few years before that. 

5 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

What do you mean by that? Do you mean conference wide as the offseason generally runs its course...and transferring becoming more common? Or are you referring to Reitz specifically?

Wooing transfers is something that Brunson is apparently putting some concerted effort in right now.

He’s got to have more success than he’s had to date.  And I would guess that he’s not been enthralled with the kids he’s had come through.

Personally, I think actively poaching other schools’ players is bad form.  I don’t know if Coach Brunson is doing that, or merely opening his arms to kids who were already looking to transfer.  If it’s the latter case, that’s fair game.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:36 PM, TigerFan20 said:

It seems like Tilly's backup is JR Nick Harper, but it appears (judging purely on stats), he has yet recorded any passing attempts in his varsity career. Harper could be the JV QB, but I have no idea. After that, the 3rd string is a freshman I believe. 

For Mater Dei, returning Wunderlich and Pierre on the offense is big for them, although losing a majority of the O-line is concerning for the Offense, and of course, losing Humphries and McDurmon in the receiving corp . 

Mater Dei wrestling breeds linemen! They'll figure it out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, TigerFan20 said:

MD returns a sophomore and junior that started on the O Line this year and will return another who was out this year due to injury but started at center as a sophomore. We have a couple of other options as well but I'm sure that is a concern going into next year. We will have to find a few receivers as well. We lose almost 100 catches from this season. Stolz and Martin will be fine but we will need at least 2-3 more. 

13 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

MD returns a sophomore and junior that started on the O Line this year and will return another who was out this year due to injury but started at center as a sophomore. We have a couple of other options as well but I'm sure that is a concern going into next year. We will have to find a few receivers as well. We lose almost 100 catches from this season. Stolz and Martin will be fine but we will need at least 2-3 more. 

I was about to fix my mistake, since I thought the JR OL was an senior and was going to add Stolz and Martin. I think MD’s offense should be pretty good next year, got some holes to fill, but Coach Goebels will find a way.

Edited by TigerFan20

On 11/28/2021 at 2:29 PM, TigerFan20 said:

Pretty good 2021 season overall for the SIAC, having 3 teams playing in November. Especially Memorial and Mater Dei making deep runs in their respective divisions.

But now, we look onward to the 2022 season, and who will reign the 2022 SIAC crown. With Jasper defending their SIAC title and first since the 70’s. Who will dethrone the Cats this season, or will Jasper run through the Conference again? Or will Memorial, Mater Dei or Castle have something to say about that. Or maybe an Dark Horse contender will say something and shock the conference standings?

Cheers to another upcoming season!

TigerFan,

I am originally from Jasper and use to go to all of the games but since moving I lost track of the team. I just want to thank you and another fan from Memorial for all of your coverage of the SIAC. It has helped me to stay connected to something important to me. I’ve been reading your stuff all year long and it is really insightful and well done. Maybe I’ll get down there sometime for a memorial jasper game and buy you a few beers before. 

thanks!!!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CombTheHair76 said:

TigerFan,

I am originally from Jasper and use to go to all of the games but since moving I lost track of the team. I just want to thank you and another fan from Memorial for all of your coverage of the SIAC. It has helped me to stay connected to something important to me. I’ve been reading your stuff all year long and it is really insightful and well done. Maybe I’ll get down there sometime for a memorial jasper game and buy you a few beers before. 

thanks!!!

No problem, I enjoy giving updates whenever I can! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Wooing transfers is something that Brunson is apparently putting some concerted effort in right now.

He’s got to have more success than he’s had to date.  And I would guess that he’s not been enthralled with the kids he’s had come through.

Personally, I think actively poaching other schools’ players is bad form.  I don’t know if Coach Brunson is doing that, or merely opening his arms to kids who were already looking to transfer.  If it’s the latter case, that’s fair game.

I’d be shocked if anything “bad form” is going on. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Brunson and he seems like a true from-the-ground-up kind of coach. Reitz has lost some great players out of their program to transfer in recent years though, so maybe the time comes again when they start to retain or attract kids.

I’ve heard they have some good young talent coming up along with the talented sophomore class. And I think the QB that was referred to is their 8th grade QB, last name Johnson I believe. Apparently one of the more talented 8th graders city-wide. Have a hard time believing they would start him as a freshman though. 

Reitz definitely has a long way to go to contend with the top dogs but it seems that strides are being made.