Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL Off Season 2022

Irishman

18 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

bwahahaha. 'take crap' from one word. It's ok for you people to be wrong, no need to insult others when you are.

I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out I was mistaken. 10-4 over and out.

I mean, the rich nature of a guy who claims I don't matter to him and that "has me on ignore" digging through my posts to keep a receipt from over a week ago is enough for me.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vince Dooley may have been on to something when he changed the Georgia helmets back in '64.

The Packers are the first NFL team in the common draft era (since 1967) to use three consecutive first-round picks on players from the same college (going back to Eric Stokes last year).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Vince Dooley may have been on to something when he changed the Georgia helmets back in '64.

The Packers are the first NFL team in the common draft era (since 1967) to use three consecutive first-round picks on players from the same college (going back to Eric Stokes last year).

I thought it interesting that when they interviewed Rodgers, he said he was “surprised“ when Davante Adams bolted to the Raiders. I wonder if he would have done anything differently if he had known that in advance. And I wonder how he feels now about Adams. And I also wonder why GB didn’t draft a receiver, now that Adams is gone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I thought it interesting that when they interviewed Rodgers, he said he was “surprised“ when Davante Adams bolted to the Raiders. I wonder if he would have done anything differently if he had known that in advance. And I wonder how he feels now about Adams. And I also wonder why GB didn’t draft a receiver, now that Adams is gone.

I saw that quote too and thought the narrative post mortem was that Rodgers knew Adams was gone before he agreed to a new deal. This seems to be a bit of a twist to that narrative. My only guess was from a follow up quote where he said he had hope that he and Davante would play together a few more years. 

• 1 month later...

Walmart heir Rob Walton agrees to buy Broncos in record deal: https://apnews.com/article/denver-broncos-nfl-sports-greg-penner-e83a58b014a9a6a3e00932a2340ff07e

The Waltons, heirs to the Walmart fortune and America’s richest family, have won the bidding to purchase the Denver Broncos in the most expensive deal for a sports franchise anywhere in the world.

The Broncos announced late Tuesday night they had entered into a sale agreement with the Walton-Penner ownership group led by Rob Walton, his daughter, Carrie Walton Penner, and her husband, Greg Penner.

Terms of the sale weren’t disclosed, but KUSA-TV in Denver reported it was for $4.65 billion.

The price tag far surpasses the $3.1 billion sale last month of Chelsea, one of European soccer’s blue ribbon teams, to an American-led consortium fronted by Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Todd Boehly.

Boehly reportedly was among the investors with one of the five finalists who were invited to make bids for the Broncos by Monday’s deadline.

The agreement for the Walmart-Penner group to buy the franchise from the Pat Bowlen Trust must be approved by the NFL, but that is considered a formality.

Wow.  That's a lot of dough.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I don't think most of us po' folk can wrap our heads around $4.65 BILLION dollars and what kind of chump change that is to people like Rob Walton, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, and others of that ilk.

Food for thought on the Monopoly money that these people live with, and their disassociation with the common person: 

Jerry Jones was worth about $11 billion dollars and bought the Cowgirlsboys for a then-record (and then-unimaginable) $150 million in 1989.  If you were to earn $3,600 per hour ($1/second) working 24/7/365, it would take you about four years and nine months to make enough to purchase Jerruh's Boys back then.  I can KIND of, ALMOST, wrap my head around that.

To do the same for Walton's Broncos... that, my friends, would take you over 147 YEARS.

To look at it another way, minimum wage was $3.35 for you and me back in 1989, so working day and night 24/7/365 would have pushed us rubes to a mere 5,111 years of labor.  

Translate that to Walton's Broncs.... that works out to 73,217 years at the current minimum (and ever-increasingly pathetic) of $7.25/hr.  So if you started earning your keep with Grug the Neanderthal back in the Middle Paleolithic era making cave art for today's minimum wage, you'd be getting somewhere close to being able to purchase an NFL team today.

I'm not sure at what financial threshold things turns into playing with Monopoly money for people, but I'd say once you get to that 8- 9-figure range... you have to begin losing your grasp with the plight of the common man.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

I'm not sure at what financial threshold things turns into playing with Monopoly money for people, but I'd say once you get to that 8- 9-figure range... you have to begin losing your grasp with the plight of the common man.

No disagreement...but hasn't that the way its always been in the world?  Rockefellers, Kennedy's, Getty's, Henry the VIII, Ford, Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Catherine the Great, etc.  Most of the people on your list have also done some tremendous benefit to mankind as well.  

But I agree about losing grapsh with the plight on the common man...and one doesn't have to be on the most weathliest list....see it everyday with the comments from celebrities. (hollywood and sports)  The value that the US and much of Europe has placed on entertainment is mind-boggling.  

On 6/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, Muda69 said:

Walmart heir Rob Walton agrees to buy Broncos in record deal: https://apnews.com/article/denver-broncos-nfl-sports-greg-penner-e83a58b014a9a6a3e00932a2340ff07e

Look for the Broncos to move to Bentonville, AR soon. The indoor stadium will be shaped like a giant warehouse.  The 50-yard line exclusive seating with service to your seat will be known as "Sam's Club".

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Look for the Broncos to move to Bentonville, AR soon. The indoor stadium will be shaped like a giant warehouse.  The 50-yard line exclusive seating with service to your seat will be known as "Sam's Club".

Will they market the tickets as a “Great Value” and will the concession prices be generically priced?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

why is the NFL intent on making its uniforms looks like the old USFL wannabe's?

Crying out loud....the Bears look like they should be on a Peanut's Halloween Special........

image.thumb.png.6992b889619f690e7f4575283813b63c.png

Welp, if they play like shit, might as well look the part. 🤣

let's see how much we can make our uniforms look like the Browns 🤣

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

why is the NFL intent on making its uniforms looks like the old USFL wannabe's?

Crying out loud....the Bears look like they should be on a Peanut's Halloween Special........

image.thumb.png.6992b889619f690e7f4575283813b63c.png

Ugghh. Those needs to be thrown in the trash heap.  And quickly.  Especially that helmet.

Report: YouTube is in the running for NFL Sunday Ticket: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/07/report-youtube-is-in-the-running-for-nfl-sunday-ticket/

A report this weekend from The New York Times says that YouTube is the latest bidder for the NFL's flagship content package, NFL Sunday Ticket. There's still no winner in the bidding process, but Google's video division is jumping into the fray to do battle with Apple, who, the Times says, is "considered the front-runner" in the deal. The winning bid is expected to run upward of $2.5 billion per season.

NFL Sunday Ticket offers every out-of-market, regular-season Sunday afternoon game as a giant, ~$300-a-year cable package. Nationally televised games and your local games aren't included in the package, but it's everything else you normally wouldn't be able to watch—around 13 extra games per week. In the US, the service has been (mostly) exclusive to satellite TV provider DirecTV for years, with the last deal being signed in 2014 for $1.5 billion per year. DirecTV's current deal expires at the end of this upcoming season, and due to plummeting TV subscribers, the beleaguered DirecTV no longer has the cash to re-up with the NFL. That means Sunday Ticket is up for grabs as the next major chess piece in The Streaming Wars.

Amazon was the first tech giant to jump into the NFL world by acquiring another major NFL package, Thursday Night Football, for $1 billion per year. Amazon has previously dipped its toes into the NFL waters by simulcasting Fox Thursday night games, but this year, Amazon's Prime Video exclusivity means Amazon needs to do its own production work. So far, it seems to be gearing up for a top-class production: The company poached legendary play-by-play announcer Al Michaels from NBC and hired NBC's 24-time Emmy-winning executive producer, Fred Gaudelli (who is executive-producing both NBC's and Amazon's NFL packages now). Amazon has also hired a bevy of former NFL players to host the pregame, halftime, and postgame shows: Hall of Fame tight end Tony Gonzalez, future Hall of Fame cornerback Richard Sherman, and recently retired quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. It sounds like Amazon is sparing no expense.

While Amazon's Thursday Night Football production has involved spinning up an entire football operation from scratch—putting it in the same league as Fox, CBS, NBC, and ESPN—Sunday Ticket requires a lot less production work. The winning company would only have to simulcast existing local TV productions from across the US.

The report lists Apple, Amazon, ESPN+ (Disney), and YouTube (Google) as the major players in the deal. The Times says "a final deal has been delayed by negotiations over a concurrent sale of NFL media assets, including the NFL Network, RedZone channel, and NFL+." The League has a lot of smaller packages to divvy up in the streaming era.

Brian Rolapp, the NFL’s chief media and business officer, told The New York Times: "A number of companies are in strong position to potentially land Sunday Ticket, but we still have a ways to go in this process."

The report says Apple has made winning the package "a priority," but it's not clear if Google is in it to win it or if it just wants to drive up the price. We frequently see Google participate in these Big Tech auctions, but it rarely closes a deal. The company made a lot of noise about participating in the FCC's 700 mHz Block C auction in 2008 but mostly bluffed its way through the auction so the price would hit an "open access" threshold. Google didn't win the $4.5 billion auction for Nortel's patents in 2011, and it couldn't close the deal during its WhatsApp bidding war with Facebook in 2013.

On the other hand, YouTube is facing a huge amount of competition from upstart video platform TikTok. While TikTok is popular with younger generations, an NFL package could score it a ton of revenue from an older demographic.

30 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Let's hope whoever gains control makes it more affordable. It's extremely expensive through DirecTV. And I'm curious as to why DirecTV is "beleaguered" since they are AT&T. 

• Like 1