Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Time for the "Rubber to Hit the Road"....

Yuccaguy

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight. But I was referring to the statements of both Flores and Hue Jackson that their owners/management incentivized other things besides winning games. If winning is not your top priority, then you’re not really concerned about whether your coach is good enough to get you to the Super Bowl.

Totally agree, but is “tanking” race driven?  While completely wrong and destroys integrity of the game, (if proven) wouldn’t an owner done same with a coach regardless of his skin color?  Guess I’m not seeing the correlation, but open to be educated. 

22 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Totally agree, but is “tanking” race driven?  While completely wrong and destroys integrity of the game, (if proven) wouldn’t an owner done same with a coach regardless of his skin color?  Guess I’m not seeing the correlation, but open to be educated. 

I think being paid to lose games is the secondary issue in the lawsuit. His claim is that race was a factor in him not getting a job. The case hinges on the communication between him and Bellichick. If the texts are authentic, then the Giants did not follow protocol in the process. Their interview with Flores was scheduled after they decided on Daboll.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I think being paid to lose games is the secondary issue in the lawsuit. His claim is that race was a factor in him not getting a job. The case hinges on the communication between him and Bellichick. If the texts are authentic, then the Giants did not follow protocol in the process. Their interview with Flores was scheduled after they decided on Daboll.

I understand and read about this. I see 2 separate but equally concerning issues that demand investigation. I just was trying to understand the post that focused on tanking. I don’t see tanking as a racial issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

First of all, everyone should get it straight: I’m not advocating one viewpoint over another. Just adding to the discussion by making sure diverse viewpoints are represented.

As for tanking and race, I believe the theory goes something like this: 

• The team is bad
  • Decision is made to “tank,” i.e., trade lack of competitiveness now for a rebuild that will pay off big down the line.
  • Hire the black coach to absorb the losses that come with a rebuild. Lure him to an admittedly bad team with a promise that a bad W/L record won’t hurt him financially, because his performance will be judged by other metrics.
  • When the rebuild is complete, fire the black coach because of his W/L record and hire a white coach you really want.

54 minutes ago, DE said:

What will happen with this "situation" if/when Flores' suit is not credible?

That’s a really good question. But keep in mind that my analysis of the difficulty in proceeding as a class action doesn’t mean that Flores’ claim is without merit. He could always succeed in his individual employment discrimination claim, if he can prove it. Possible remedies include reinstatement, back pay, front pay.

Edited by Bobref

Interesting data…..from this article…

ARMANDO SALGUERO: BRIAN FLORES CLAIMS RACIAL DISCRIMINATION IN NFL HIRING PRACTICES, SO LET’S EXAMINE HIS HIRING PRACTICES

Flores had 20 coaches on his 2021 coaching staff, with 15 of those white and five black.

Flores hired four offensive coordinators during his time with the Dolphins, including co-coordinators in 2021. Three of those four are white.

Flores hired four offensive line coaches during his tenure, and three of those four are white.

Flores hired two defensive coordinators during his time as head coach, one black and one white.

Flores hired four quarterback or assistant quarterback coaches during his three years, and three of those four are white, with Jim Caldwell the only exception. Caldwell, it should be noted, worked under Flores for a couple of months but departed before the 2019 season began, citing health issues.

Flores hired one special teams coordinator during his time as coach, that being Danny Crossman, who is white.

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

First of all, everyone should get it straight: I’m not advocating one viewpoint over another. Just adding to the discussion by making sure diverse viewpoints are represented.

• The team is bad
  • Decision is made to “tank,” i.e., trade lack of competitiveness now for a rebuild that will pay off big down the line.
  • Hire the black coach to absorb the losses that come with a rebuild. Lure him to an admittedly bad team with a promise that a bad W/L record won’t hurt him financially, because his performance will be judged by other metrics.
  • When the rebuild is complete, fire the black coach because of his W/L record and hire a white coach you really want.

I think that’s quite a theory that tanking is racially motivated. That would demand proof/facts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Yes, but his inference was unwarranted.

More significantly, I take exception to something everyone else is glossing over: the idea that winning every game should be the highest priority for a team, i.e., anything else is “tanking.” I can conceive of several scenarios where other things might legitimately be higher priorities.

Question I saw on pft that the owners from dolphins and browns can be charged under the sports bribery act

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/224

but from a business perspective I understand each company has strategic management where they formulate a plan to achieve what their goals are either financial or winning. Most teams are owned by billionaires who seem to care about winning over finances except the bears broncos and titans (family owned passed down inherited).

so under the sports bribery act are you supposed to try to win at all costs?

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Yes, but his inference was unwarranted.

More significantly, I take exception to something everyone else is glossing over: the idea that winning every game should be the highest priority for a team, i.e., anything else is “tanking.” I can conceive of several scenarios where other things might legitimately be higher priorities.

Question I saw on pft that the owners from dolphins and browns can be charged under the sports bribery act

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/224

but from a business perspective I understand each company has strategic management where they formulate a plan to achieve what their goals are either financial or winning. Most teams are owned by billionaires who seem to care about winning over finances except the bears broncos and titans (family owned passed down inherited).

so under the sports bribery act are you supposed to try to win at all costs?

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

• The team is bad

You felt the need to point out that Pederson was white and claimed “the current climate” in your “viewpoint” so while you are not taking a side, you are attempting to stoke the fire by race baiting…and I guess it worked.

Turns out these owners, who are often tough to defend, don’t want to be told WHO they should and shouldn’t hire by outsiders…in fact I might even make the case that their arrogance causes them to sometimes make the unpopular decision BECAUSE many in the media/public want them to make the “equitable” hire.

When folks on one side of the aisle finally realize this, the world will be a much better place.

Edited by temptation

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

To some?  I’m sure it is.

Sad thing is, the term racist (or any form of the word) has been so played out over the last few years, that when a "credible" example of it occurs, so many folks think the accuser is crying "wolf".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DE said:

Sad thing is, the term racist (or any form of the word) has been so played out over the last few years, that when a "credible" example of it occurs, so many folks think the accuser is crying "wolf".

If everything is deemed racist, true racism is often ignored and marginalized.

Again, if someone in this thread can prove to me, beyond the shadow of a doubt that Leftwich (or any other AA coaching candidate in the league) is being passed over due to race, I’m all ears.  

The burden of proof is on you, not me.

Edited by temptation

Also, people will call others "racist" for having a simple, differing view point.

One thing that jumped out to me in a post early on in this thread, had to do w/ percentage of black players in the nfl and black coaches/upper management being under represented.

I read a differing view point the other day.....

Under that same exact logic, aren't white players being under represented then, if upper management, owners, coaches are white?

The most common answer I read was, teams pick/choose to sign/hire/whatever term you want to use here, the best player that will give them the best chance to win and at this point in time, that is a majority of black players.  So can't that point stand with the teams hiring who they feel will give them the best chance to win?  

I think a poster earlier said something about merit is greater than melanin.

9 minutes ago, DE said:

Also, people will call others "racist" for having a simple, differing view point.

One thing that jumped out to me in a post early on in this thread, had to do w/ percentage of black players in the nfl and black coaches/upper management being under represented.

I read a differing view point the other day.....

Under that same exact logic, aren't white players being under represented then, if upper management, owners, coaches are white?

The most common answer I read was, teams pick/choose to sign/hire/whatever term you want to use here, the best player that will give them the best chance to win and at this point in time, that is a majority of black players.  So can't that point stand with the teams hiring who they feel will give them the best chance to win?  

I think a poster earlier said something about merit is greater than melanin.

Don’t hurt em now DE.  They don’t like two way streets.

Apparently the plight of former Colts HC Jim Caldwell is "Exhibit A" in Mr. Flores lawsuit against the NFL:  https://deadspin.com/qb-guru-jim-caldwell-is-exhibit-a-in-brian-flores-lawsu-1848474551

Before we get into Brian Flores lawsuit against the NFL, let’s get something straight: The brilliant Jim Caldwell has been the best available coach for four straight years, especially for teams developing young quarterbacks.

Today, Peyton Manning is such a legend that many forget he threw 81 interceptions in his first four years before Caldwell became his QB Coach after a 6-10 season. Today Matthew Stafford is heading to the Super Bowl, but in 2012-2013 he was stumbling (11-21) and some were asking “what to do when your star hits a wall?”. Oh yes, Caldwell also won a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco as Ravens Offensive Coordinator (OC).

Save for Andy Reid, no active head coach has had the triple-QB success of Caldwell. So it comes as little surprise Brian Flores would highlight Caldwell on pages 41-42 in his lawsuit against the NFL. The Flores lawsuit documents the NFL’s overall racism, including against Colin Kaepernick; data on NFL discrimination in coach hiring (23-33); and “notable examples” (34-46) that highlight specific Black coaches – including Jim Caldwell is Exhibit A – the most egregious coach example of all, even more than Eric Bieniemy, also highlighted in Flores suit. The goal of this article is to go even further to bolster Caldwell’s case before any future legal proceedings.

I. JIM CALDWELL AND THE RISE OF PEYTON MANNING

Flores Lawsuit: “In 2009, Jim Caldwell was hired as the Indianapolis Colts head coach. The team went 14-2 in his first year and made it to the Super Bowl… [and had] a total record of 27-8 over his first two seasons.”

Caldwell’s head coach start wasn’t merely good or great, it was historic. And he did it despite losing Hall of Fame wide receiver Marvin Harrison to injury and retirement. More Facts:

· 16-0? Caldwell set a rookie coach NFL record by starting 14-0 and headed for a 16-0 season, but Colts management forced Caldwell to rest Manning and many of his starters in their final two games. In the final two games, back-up QB Curtis Painter would complete 8 of 28 attempts for 83 yards.

· Super Bowl: Caldwell was only the 5th rookie head coach in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl. Manning, who often struggled in the playoffs, only reached the Super Bowl once in 11 seasons.

· Situational Football: The 2009 Colts would set an NFL record with seven 4th quarter comebacks, a mark that would stand until Caldwell and Mathew Stafford posted a new record (8) in 2016.

Caldwell was Peyton’s head coach for only two seasons, but his most important coaching was as Peyton’s QB coach. Just ask Peyton.

“Jim Caldwell has meant a great deal to me in my career,” said Manning in 2014. “I felt like once he got to Indianapolis and became my quarterbacks coach, that my game really improved. It took a step up, and I thought Jim had a great deal to do with that.” The stats support this:

Peyton Manning Pass Rating:

85.1 Before Caldwell as his QB Coach (1998-2001)
100.5 With Caldwell as QB Coach (2002-2008)

Upon arrival Caldwell reviewed every interception with Peyton had thrown in his first four years, and they got to work immediately.

“He and I had a set routine that we tried to perform every day in the meeting room, on the practice field, in different drills, said Manning. “And from 2003 to 2008, when he was the quarterbacks coach, I was playing at a high level.”

Under Caldwell, Peyton would cut his yearly interceptions down by 40% (20 to 12), and his accuracy would improve, a pattern he would later duplicate with Stafford (see part IV).

II. “SUCK4LUCK”: CURTIS PAINTER AND THE SABOTAGE OF JIM CALDWELL

Flores Lawsuit: “The following year Colts lost their starting quarterback Peyton Manning around whom the entire team had been built— and the team fell to 2-14. Despite his past success and the justifiable reasons for this poor record in one season out of three, Mr. Caldwell was fired.”

“Justifiable reasons” is an understatement. Caldwell’s career was sabotaged by the Colts. Some context:

· The Curtis Painter Era: In 2011, Caldwell was given QBs Curtis Painter (0-8), a 39 year-old washed-up Kerry Collins, and Daniel Orlovsky. In their previous two seasons, Collins and Orlovsky were 2-18 before Caldwell got them as starters. Orlovsky was 0-7 without Caldwell and Painter would never win an NFL game (0-8).

· Suck4Luck Sabotage: When Colts GM Bill Polian did not claim the serviceable Kyle Orton off waivers, and decided to stick with their worst QB, critics charged “Colts Sticking with Painter, In Full Suck4Luck Mode”, a blatant tanking job to obtain #1 draft pick Andrew Luck.

Why is Colts “Curtis Painter Era” important?

Because Brian Flores lawsuit alleges that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered Flores incentives to lose games to improve draft position. Since then, ex-NFL coach Hue Jackson has suggested that the Browns did the same thing with him, and Yahoo’s Charles Robinson reports that Jackson may join Flores’ class action lawsuit.

The Colts never had to encourage Caldwell to tank games. They simply gave him Curtis Painter instead.

The Colts won Luck. The only loser was Jim Caldwell. He lost his job, and his QB guru reputation too.

Instead of focusing on Painter, ignorant critics began a harmful false narrative: “Caldwell was a product of Peyton.”

Caldwell and Luck could have won Super Bowl(s) together.

Race also matters. Kyle Shanahan can go 1-15 with QBs Brian Hoyer and C.J. Beathard his first two years, and not be stigmatized by it.

But Caldwell had to start again from scratch.

As Ravens OC, he “breathed new life” into their offense and won a Super Bowl calling all the plays. And no, the Raven’s defense didn’t carry Joe Flacco in the playoffs that season. Look again:

Joe Flacco 2013 Super Bowl Playoff Run: 117.2 Pass Rating with 11 TDs and 0 INTs.

Not bad for a quarterback who had a 77.41 Pass Rating in his other 11 career playoff games.

That’s what Caldwell had to do to become a Head Coach again.

III. JIM CALDWELL MAKES LIONS HISTORY

Flores Lawsuit: “In his first year, the team went 11-5, a 4-game improvement from the previous year.”

The 2014 Lions was the only season Caldwell had a Lions roster that had any business sniffing the playoffs. He showed his coaching range with the NFL’s #3 ranked defense, up from #15 the previous year. As the Colts Assistant Head Coach to Tony Dungy, improving defenses wasn’t new to him.

That defense was anchored by Ndamukong Suh, who the Lions failed to resign the following year, a terrible mistake. “Caldwell was the answer,” said Ndamukong Suh in 2020, “and didn’t get the ample opportunity to fully put his fingerprints on the team”.

Flores Lawsuit: “He had an aggregate record of 36—28, the best winning percentage of any Lions coach since the 1950s. The Lions have gone 17—46 since his departure with only white head coaches.” Some more facts:

Lions Coaches this Century:
17-46 Since Caldwell
36-28 Jim Caldwell
29-51 Jim Schwartz
10-38 Rod Marinelli
15-28 Steve Mariucci
5-27 Marty Mornhinweg

That’s historic. Yes, the Lions haven’t even won HALF as much as Caldwell over the next four years.

The Lions incredible overachievement included a historic feat of making the playoffs in 2016 without any Pro Bowlers. Caldwell’s competence was masking a roster so bad that Pro Football Focus predicted the Lions would win only four games in 2016 and only six games in 2017. Caldwell bested PFF by eight wins, and wildly exceeded the Lions roster talent by any possible objective analytical measure.

Caldwell was still fired by GM Bob Quinn who famously said “nine wins are not nearly good enough”.

By blaming a phenomenal Black coach over his own incompetence in building a roster, Quinn was sentenced to seasons of six, three, and five wins. By late 2019, we started to see divorce remorse articles like “Dear Jim Caldwell, I’m Sorry” to “the most underappreciated head coach in Lions history”.

The only group who never stopped appreciating Caldwell is his own players. It’s not just Peyton, Stafford, Suh, or Megatron. It’s nearly every player, then and now. It’s Golden Tate, Darius Slay: (“My Guy. Never Change”); Quandre Diggs: (“Players coach who demands respect!”), Tavon Austin : (“Leader of Men!”) jumping on this tweet to publicly express their admiration and respect this past month.

Loved playing for this guy! https://t.co/ywrmIIUerQ”>https://t.co/ywrmIIUerQ

— Golden Tate (@ShowtimeTate) https://twitter.com/ShowtimeTate/status/1486144814261276672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>January 26, 2022

At 67, despite being younger than Bill Belichick, Bruce Arians, and Pete Carroll, some ageist critics persist, which is laughable when you see the respects commands within an NFL locker room. Have they considered his age is an asset?

IV. JIM CALDWELL AND THE RISE OF MATTHEW STAFFORD

Brian Flores lawsuit does not get into Caldwell’s brilliant work with quarterbacks. But since the NFL has prioritized hiring former QB coaches and Offensive Coordinators, this article will.

“I loved playing for him,” said Stafford last year. “I still remember when he was coming in for his visit. I got a chance to sit down and talk with him. And he blew me away. I wasn’t expecting that.”

Stafford being “blown away” upon meeting Caldwell is another illustration of the massive respect gap between Caldwell’s former players, and NFL teams in charge of hiring. Then there’s this:

Stafford Pass Rating:
83.1 Before Caldwell
93.7 with Caldwell
99.3 Last year with Caldwell (and without Calvin Johnson)

Caldwell did not inherit the same quarterback Sean McVay did.

Despite flashes of greatness, Stafford’s game had regressed in 2012-2013, and there were legitimate critiques of his fundamentals, footwork, arm motion, and over-reliance on forcing the ball to Calvin Johnson.

Caldwell maximized Stafford’s talents by employing more quick throws, no huddles, and using spread offenses which uplifted both Stafford and multiple wide receivers who had breakout seasons (see Golden Tate and Marvin Jones). The Caldwell Offense prioritizes accuracy, discipline and schemes that increase easier completions while decreasing interceptions. Stafford and Manning had the same growth pattern.

Interception Average
Stafford: 18 to 11 per year after Caldwell
Manning: 20 to 12 per year after Caldwell

Not only that. Stafford and Manning never had a 65% completion rate in nine combined seasons before Caldwell, but exceeded 65% in 10 of 11 seasons with Caldwell.

Do you think a young Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence could use an elite veteran QB developer to help boost their completions and cut back their interceptions?

Stafford would also suddenly become the king of 4th quarter comebacks posting more in only four years with Caldwell (16) than his other eight Lions seasons. Stafford credited Caldwell’s situational intelligence:

“He’s a smart offensive coach,” Stafford told the Detroit Free Press in 2017. “He puts our team in the right situations to succeed, and that, in turn, helps me out.”

V. JIM CALDWELL ENDURES FOUR YEARS OF RACISM

Flores Lawsuit: “In the more than three years since losing the Lions job, Mr. Caldwell has not received any further opportunities as a head coach despite numerous openings and interviewing no fewer than five times for different positions.”

The Bears recently interviewed Caldwell, but despite Justin Fields rocky rookie season, they’ve decided to entrust his critical future development to a former defensive coordinator.

Caldwell also had some past interviews by teams with top-drafted young QBs, but those teams chose Freddie Kitchens to mold Baker Mayfield, Adam Gase to mold Sam Darnold, and Kliff Kingsbury to win a generational talent like Kyler Murray. He also watched Urban Meyer, Nick Sirianni, and Joe Judge get to develop Trevor Lawrence, Jalen Hurts, and Daniel Jones.

Now there are reports Josh McCown is the favorite to win the Texans head coaching job despite only coaching his son’s high school team.

How humiliating is that?

I’m talking about these owners and general managers. But this is how whiteness works in the NFL.

Caldwell being wrongly fired by one team is an injustice.

Caldwell being ignored by the other 31 teams for four years is blatant NFL racism.

It’s actually more than racism, it’s racial grand larceny.

When clueless Matt Rhule gets a $60 million contract despite one season of NFL experience, and millions of dollars are rerouted yearly from superior Black coaches to inferior white ones, it’s time to take that money back.

And if you can deny millions to Caldwell, you can deny Flores or any other Black coach.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Apparently the plight of former Colts HC Jim Caldwell is "Exhibit A" in Mr. Flores lawsuit against the NFL:  https://deadspin.com/qb-guru-jim-caldwell-is-exhibit-a-in-brian-flores-lawsu-1848474551

I always liked and admired Coach Caldwell.  His calm demeanor on the sideline was very refreshing.

I wonder why he did not coach in 2018, 2020 (possibly precaution/fear of covid) or 2021?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Caldwell_(American_football)

Coach Caldwell was on Coach Flores' 2019 staff in Miami for a short period

.....from the above link.....

On July 13, 2019, it was announced Caldwell would take a leave of absence to address health issues but remained as a consultant.[24] Following the 2019 season, Caldwell wasn't retained by the Dolphins.

I have a feeling this Flores suit is going to get very interesting.

Edited by DE
  • Like 1

One could also argue that if 25% of the players in the NFL are white, then 25% of the runningbacks in the NFL should also be white. But NFL owners don't subscribe to that. They put the best person at each position to give them the strongest chance of selling out their stadium and advancing in the playoffs. 

There is also a misunderstanding that if 25% of NFL players are white, then 75% must be black. The actual percentage of black players is 58%. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, Bobref said:

From a strictly legal standpoint, there are some real problems with bringing this case as a class action. Just filing it as a class action is not enough. Before it can go forward, the judge has to certify it as appropriate for class treatment under all the very complex procedural requirements that are quite different than “normal” civil litigation. To be certified, the judge has to find that the class is defined in a way that “common questions of law and fact predominate” in the claim of each putative class member.

The second issue I see is proof. In large employment race discrimination class actions, statistical proof is often key. Because there are large numbers of employees and large numbers of employment-related decisions, statistical analysis can be brought to bear to show a systematic bias, despite the fact that employment decisions are done on an individualized basis. NFL coaching decisions are not nearly so numerous, which would leave any statistical analysis open to serious attack on any purported conclusions. That leaves the proof to rely on individualized scenarios, with a lot of “he said, she said” type situations. The fact that such decisions are so individualized not only presents proof problems, but argues against class certification.

Also, I wonder where the EEOC is in all this. Civil claims by an employee or applicant for employment based on Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which protects against racial discrimination in the workplace, must normally be first presented to the EEOC, which investigates and can take action against the employer itself. Once the EEOC investigation is over, they issue the employee a “right to sue” letter, which you normally have to get before you can file a case in court. Haven’t heard any mention of it here.

On the other side side of the coin, it’s highly unlikely the NFL allows this to go anywhere for very long. They run from any sort of publicity that might turn off the money printing machine they are operating. They’ll settle this with some sort of an agreement that is a stronger version of the Rooney Rule. The owners will sign some sort of pledge. Maybe the League will even create a position specifically to monitor compliance. Flores may get some money. His lawyers certainly will.

I’m very interested to hear what the NFLPA has to say about this. Crickets, so far.

I think the NFLPA will sit by and "Eat Popcorn" while this goes on.  

Goodell is an employ of the OWNERS.  And this has all their interests at heart (later date), but beyond their ability to impactfully have any solutions at this time.  

On 2/4/2022 at 11:48 AM, BTF said:

One could also argue that if 25% of the players in the NFL are white, then 25% of the runningbacks in the NFL should also be white. But NFL owners don't subscribe to that. They put the best person at each position to give them the strongest chance of selling out their stadium and advancing in the playoffs. 

There is also a misunderstanding that if 25% of NFL players are white, then 75% must be black. The actual percentage of black players is 58%. 

Let's not get down a "Rabbit Hole" of the quota system.  The basic argument is the FAIRNESS of the Rooney Rule.  

Also, the $100K that is alleged by Flores to lose games by the Dolphins' owner (via the GM...a minority also)

On 2/4/2022 at 6:13 AM, Bobref said:

The Jaguars double down, hiring an old, white retread (Doug Peterson) in the current climate. More than a little surprising with Byron Leftwich still in the mix.

I think Leftwich asking for MORE inclusion and power in his staff selections and the direction of the franchise, made him a less than desirable HC for Khan. 

It says more about Jacksonville as a franchise (business) than it does about the individual that the 'settled' upon in Pederson.   

Even Parcells said "He should be able to buy the groceries, if he going to be the cook".....  I think that is an admirable position to have as an NFL HC.  

7 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I think the NFLPA will sit by and "Eat Popcorn" while this goes on.  

Goodell is an employ of the OWNERS.  And this has all their interests at heart (later date), but beyond their ability to impactfully have any solutions at this time.  

I wonder if the players (75% of whom are black) realize that they have an unbelievable opportunity here. They could absolutely use this issue to change the balance of power in the NFL to more like the NBA.

1 minute ago, Yuccaguy said:

I think Leftwich asking for MORE inclusion and power in his staff selections and the direction of the franchise, made him a less than desirable HC for Khan. 

It says more about Jacksonville as a franchise (business) than it does about the individual that the 'settled' upon in Pederson.   

Even Parcells said "He should be able to buy the groceries, if he going to be the cook".....  I think that is an admirable position to have as an NFL HC.  

Sounds great in theory. But how many people have the skill set to be both GM and Head Coach?

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I wonder if the players (75% of whom are black) realize that they have an unbelievable opportunity here. They could absolutely use this issue to change the balance of power in the NFL to more like the NBA.

I agree.  But I the NBA has "issues"....  I can agree with that.  Players (limited rosters...not 53) can be impacted by ONE move, NFL rosters need a bit more to make that kind of impact.  

Also, I am not so sure that the NBA is heading down the right road with the 'star' power that they tend to perpetrate.  

NFLPA represents the players....  And they should just stay on the sidelines.  For now

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Sounds great in theory. But how many people have the skill set to be both GM and Head Coach?

NOT MANY!!  And I totally agree with that.   

In 2022, this ain't Halas' NFL.  

Edited by Yuccaguy

43 minutes ago, Bobref said:

58%