Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

Super Bowl LVI

Bobref

17 hours ago, DE said:

Don’t know if it would have had an impact of the outcome of the game, but the holding call on #55 Wilson (LB) on the Rams winning drive, was an atrocious call. IMSC, it was 3rd down and gave the Rams an automatic 1st down. To that time, there were 2 penalties on both teams. 

See my post below. 

That act is called defensive holding in the NFL. Not sure if their rule or philosophy is different or there is something about it we aren't picking up on. Us HS officials are in no position to determine if that call was correct or incorrect per NFL rules.

1 minute ago, JustRules said:

That act is called defensive holding in the NFL. Not sure if their rule or philosophy is different or there is something about it we aren't picking up on. Us HS officials are in no position to determine if that call was correct or incorrect per NFL rules.

When it was called defensive holding and every view was shown and never once did #55 hold the player, I am pretty sure Stevie Wonder could make that call.

12 minutes ago, DE said:

When it was called defensive holding and every view was shown and never once did #55 hold the player, I am pretty sure Stevie Wonder could make that call.

Don't use HS rules and philosophies on it because I've seen very similar action called DH in many NFL games. Not sure what element of it is a foul but it could be any contact at the time of a route cut could be a foul. Different league different rules.

12 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Don't use HS rules and philosophies on it because I've seen very similar action called DH in many NFL games. Not sure what element of it is a foul but it could be any contact at the time of a route cut could be a foul. Different league different rules.

If it is called defensive holding, does that not imply there was holding on the play?  Regardless what level you are talking about?

14 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Honestly not.  Using my own eyes.  No specific "lens".

6 hours ago, JustRules said:

Just listened to an interview Mike Pereira did after last nights game and he said the defensive holding call on #55 Wilson late in the game, was in fact, NOT DH and should not have been called. 

10 hours ago, DE said:

Just listened to an interview Mike Pereira did after last nights game and he said the defensive holding call on #55 Wilson late in the game, was in fact, NOT DH and should not have been called. 

The officials missed that D holding call which was huge, and they also missed the Tee Higgins offensive pass interference when he grabbed Ramsey's facemask to gain an obvious advantage that led to a 75 yard TD.  So I guess at the end of the day, those calls balanced out in the final score.

30 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

The officials missed that D holding call which was huge, and they also missed the Tee Higgins offensive pass interference when he grabbed Ramsey's facemask to gain an obvious advantage that led to a 75 yard TD.  So I guess at the end of the day, those calls balanced out in the final score.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

They usually do.

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

Just came across this clip today. Stafford's no look pass to free up Kupp on the final drive by the Rams is ridiculous. 

Agreed.  He's been doing it his entire career, but the "pundits" seem to only gush over mahomes.

13 hours ago, DE said:

I have a lot of respect for Mike and his opinion on things like this. This is a judgement call and his judgement is no foul. The official on the field felt it was a foul. I'm not sure how connected Mike is to the current leadership and the conversations they are having with the current staff. They may have felt this was a correct call and their opinion is the one that mattes.

I've seen this called defensive holding a dozen times this season in various games. There must be some aspect of this they want called defensive holding. Maybe that's different from when Mike was the VP of Officiating. I have no idea. This would not be defensive holding in my HS games. The only thing I can think is wrapping your hands around the receiver as he makes his cut even if you don't restrict him is a foul. That is the consistent thing I've noticed with all of these defensive holding calls I've seen lately in NFL games.

As an official you should know better than to post as an arbiter of NFL rules. I don't know and you don't know but one of us is admitting that we don't know.

3 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I have a lot of respect for Mike and his opinion on things like this. This is a judgement call and his judgement is no foul. The official on the field felt it was a foul. I'm not sure how connected Mike is to the current leadership and the conversations they are having with the current staff. They may have felt this was a correct call and their opinion is the one that mattes.

I've seen this called defensive holding a dozen times this season in various games. There must be some aspect of this they want called defensive holding. Maybe that's different from when Mike was the VP of Officiating. I have no idea. This would not be defensive holding in my HS games. The only thing I can think is wrapping your hands around the receiver as he makes his cut even if you don't restrict him is a foul. That is the consistent thing I've noticed with all of these defensive holding calls I've seen lately in NFL games.

As an official you should know better than to post as an arbiter of NFL rules. I don't know and you don't know but one of us is admitting that we don't know.

I posted as a person with 2 working eyes.  I am not posting as an arbiter of NFL rules.

Thank you for your responses.  Appreciate and respect your position.

Meh, the refs just had a pocketed make-up call against the Bengals after they missed that blatant offensive PI by Tee Higgins at the beginning of the third quarter.  They just waited until their NFL masters told them take it out of their pocket at the most opportune time.  And they did.

38 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Meh, the refs just had a pocketed make-up call against the Bengals after they missed that blatant offensive PI by Tee Higgins at the beginning of the third quarter.  They just waited until their NFL masters told them take it out of their pocket at the most opportune time.  And they did.

Nobody is going to make up a call. If there is any hint that you intentionally made up a call to correct a potential error from earlier you will almost certainly not be allowed back on staff the following year. Someone who is working in a Super Bowl most definitely would risk that. This is probably one of the most absurd assumptions fans make about officials.

2 hours ago, DE said:

I posted as a person with 2 working eyes.  I am not posting as an arbiter of NFL rules.

Thank you for your responses.  Appreciate and respect your position.

Once you become an official your comments carry some weight regardless of level. If you say that was an incorrect call others will give it credibility. You have no knowledge of NFL rules or philosophies. There are many subtle differences that we don't realize. Saying that contact would not be a foul in your HS game is valid. Saying an NFL official who has worked multiple years in the NFL and been assigned to a Super Bowl is wrong is not cool. Leave those comments to the fans who get their rules knowledge from announcers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Once you become an official your comments carry some weight regardless of level. If you say that was an incorrect call others will give it credibility. You have no knowledge of NFL rules or philosophies. There are many subtle differences that we don't realize. Saying that contact would not be a foul in your HS game is valid. Saying an NFL official who has worked multiple years in the NFL and been assigned to a Super Bowl is wrong is not cool. Leave those comments to the fans who get their rules knowledge from announcers.

Ok.