Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A semistate Center Grove at Cathedral (at Arlington) 11/18 @ 7PM

This game is going to come down to how well Center Grove can run the ball against Cathedral's defense, which will allow Center Grove to control the time of possession and keep the ball out of Danny O'Neil's hands.  Feels like this game could be destined for overtime.

21 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I had my follow-up eye check-up this morning and I'm good to go tomorrow night!  I will be wearing googles and I'll be dressed with all the warm clothes I can find!   It's playoff weather!

Go with the eye patch....intimidating look!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, temptation said:

Wow.

Got away from the Irish quick. Had two great drives to start the game and were absolutely gashing the Trojan D with the running game. Center Grove didn’t flinch. 

Thought Cathedral abandoned the run game way too early, pass protection was horrific. Center Grove once again proves why they are the class of 6A, stage never seems to big for them.

• Like 1

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Got away from the Irish quick. Had two great drives to start the game and were absolutely gashing the Trojan D with the running game. Center Grove didn’t flinch. 

Thought Cathedral abandoned the run game way too early, pass protection was horrific. Center Grove once again proves why they are the class of 6A, stage never seems to big for them.

Eric Moore’s best coaching job ever?

I was at this game.  Irish RB #3 needed 40+ carries to win.  Didn't get them. CG took away first read outside the hash and result was a lot of sacks. Irish scored first 10 points running  the ball and stopping the run, but neither of those things lasted.  I thought CG threw the ball too much in first quarter.

Edited by CaptainHook

It has been a very good season for the Irish.  I wish it had ended a bit more competitively but the Trojans were the better team last night, by a wide margin.  A lot of blame can go around for the Irish performance the last 3 quarters, but to be honest, they were just outplayed.

I hope I'm around to see the next edition of Cathedral football.  Hats off to Center Grove and good luck next week against Carroll.  

Irish radio announcer, Jim McLinn,  put it best last night.  Expectations every season are for an Irish state championship, no matter the class.  This was a very good season, but not a great one.  The Irish were inexperienced at a lot of key positions, and last night some of that was exposed.

See you all next year!

Irish were completely outmatched and outplayed the moment we went up 10-0, it was like the tide immediately turned.  Hats off to Center Grove they made fast adjustments and blew the game wide-open.  Danny had horrible game at the worst possible time, sacked I think seven times (again).  We also have up (another) 70 yards in penalties but that is not why we lost the game.

On 11/17/2022 at 11:25 PM, LC_Bears_04 said:

This game is going to come down to how well Center Grove can run the ball against Cathedral's defense, which will allow Center Grove to control the time of possession and keep the ball out of Danny O'Neil's hands.  Feels like this game could be destined for overtime.

Irish gave up 301 rushing yards, the most rushing yards given up since 2019 regional when New Pal (i.e. Charlie Spegal) gave up 305.   Irish lost that game 35-10, the similarities between these two games are remarkable when you view the stats side-by-side.  

3 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Irish gave up 301 rushing yards, the most rushing yards given up since 2019 regional when New Pal (i.e. Charlie Spegal) gave up 305.   Irish lost that game 35-10, the similarities between these two games are remarkable when you view the stats side-by-side.  

Last night reminded me of the 2009 game at Reitz Bowl against Reitz.  The Irish got manhandled 31-10 and lost Kofi in the first half.  That was also a semi-state game.  The Irish have lost 5 semi-state games since 2001, one to Center Grove, Columbus East and Jasper, and two to Evansville Reitz.

Cathedral has lost only four games in the last three seasons, and three of those losses were to Center Grove.  The Irish now have an overall record of 771 wins and 300 losses.

On 11/18/2022 at 11:18 PM, CaptainHook said:

I was at this game.  Irish RB #3 needed 40+ carries to win.  Didn't get them. CG took away first read outside the hash and result was a lot of sacks. Irish scored first 10 points running  the ball and stopping the run, but neither of those things lasted.  I thought CG threw the ball too much in first quarter.

I agree with this post 100%. Cathedral has had a lot of games with very good passing numbers. In this game however they needed to just ride their run game. It became obvious CG wanted to take away the pass and force the Irish to run and they did very well with it when they did. In the second qtr they went away from the run and sacks and penalties put them in the hole forcing them to punt into the wind. Every possession CG had in the second qtr was inside the 50 (a couple inside the 40.

In hindsight probably should have stuck with the run and went to short passes with 3 step drop. The Cathedral defense although stats won't totally show played really well. The offense put them in bad positions giving CG a short field. The biggest issue I saw with Cathedral's defense at time was wrapping up, there were a couple of runs they hit the RB in the backfield or at LOS and didn't wrap up. The terrific CG backs turned those into HUGE runs.

Special teams were not helpfull. When you give the ball to the other team on all their scoring drives inside the 50 it hasn't been a good nght for Special Teams. Also can't settle for FG's (or an INT trying to force something) inside the Redzone against a great team like CG. Great learning experience this year for a terrific young QB for Cathedral. Kid is only a Junior and had probably his worst game.

Congrats to CG they didn't start out great but kept battling. I also want to say RB #3 Johnson is a warrior, he is fun to watch always pumping his legs even though he is not a big RB.

The biggest difference why Center Grove was able to beat Cathedral in the tournament and Brownsburg couldn't:  Physical and mental toughness, especially the mental toughness.  It's embedded in Center Grove's culture, all the way down to the bantam leagues.  It's why Center Grove is about to 3-peat and why Brownsburg will never reach the state finals as long as John Hart is their head coach.

Hats off to Eric Moore and the Center Grove program.  They've earned the right to be the favorite in the 6A tournament every year until somebody finally beats them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

The biggest difference why Center Grove was able to beat Cathedral in the tournament and Brownsburg couldn't:  Physical and mental toughness, especially the mental toughness.  It's embedded in Center Grove's culture, all the way down to the bantam leagues.  It's why Center Grove is about to 3-peat and why Brownsburg will never reach the state finals as long as John Hart is their head coach.

Hats off to Eric Moore and the Center Grove program.  They've earned the right to be the favorite in the 6A tournament every year until somebody finally beats them.

Why do you hate Coach Hart?

I know he coached at Reitz and nobody respects the Westside of Evansville, but what did this man do to your family?