Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best High School QB you have personally witnessed play in the last decade.

In Person Viewing from me...

Decade: Noah Ehrlich 

All Time: Matt Desomer 

Virtual Viewing from me (live or archived)...

Decade: Brady Allen 

All Time: Tommy Finn  

Posted (edited)

My top three (in order) are:

1. Michael Lindauer (Evansville Memorial)

2. Jordan Scheller (Gibson Southern) maybe a hair over a decade

3. Brady Allen (Gibson Southern) (Senior Year was really special)

59 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

Decade: Brady Allen

All Time: Jay Cutler

Hopes and dreams to exceed both--Jett Goldsberry

Jett has a shot if the coaching staff actually develops passing concepts in their offense other than "go deep".

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Jett has a shot if the coaching staff actually develops passing concepts in their offense other than "go deep".

Yeah, the dude can fling a 9 route as good as anybody, and if you cover Ruxer to close early in the route you are getting burnt.  That only works once against a good team if at all, so not terribly useful.  

I'm not sure that what you are saying will be "developed" this fall or the next.  I'd be surprised due to his ability on his legs, the answer will be "why throw when he can run".  He isn't what Jay was on his legs (I've never seen anything like Jay in high school in person), but Jett has a couple years yet--obviously we are all hoping he will surpass Jay.  It appears that he may lack some size--he is only 16 though.   

51 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

Yeah, the dude can fling a 9 route as good as anybody, and if you cover Ruxer to close early in the route you are getting burnt.  That only works once against a good team if at all, so not terribly useful.  

I'm not sure that what you are saying will be "developed" this fall or the next.  I'd be surprised due to his ability on his legs, the answer will be "why throw when he can run".  He isn't what Jay was on his legs (I've never seen anything like Jay in high school in person), but Jett has a couple years yet--obviously we are all hoping he will surpass Jay.  It appears that he may lack some size--he is only 16 though.   

The kid can do anything they ask him...they just need to ask him to do the right things.  I'm not so worried about the whole route tree as I am route combinations and reads designed to defeat the defense rather than trying to beat the defense with athleticism alone.  None of our QBs over the past 12 years can even tell you what a route tree is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

The kid can do anything they ask him...they just need to ask him to do the right things.  I'm not so worried about the whole route tree as I am route combinations and reads designed to defeat the defense rather than trying to beat the defense with athleticism alone.  None of our QBs over the past 12 years can even tell you what a route tree is.

This is true....this kid can do just about whatever they ask him, but I am not sure he will be challenged with those things.

There are four on the IHSAA career stat site that I've seen in person:

• Chris Mills - LCC
  • Clark Barrett - LCC
  • Mikey Kidwell - West Lafayette
  • Kyle Adams - West Lafayette

Hands down, the best of those four was Mills who graduated in 2009.  For last decade out of those above, I'd have to go with Kidwell who graduated in 2016.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

There are four on the IHSAA career stat site that I've seen in person:

• Chris Mills - LCC
  • Clark Barrett - LCC
  • Mikey Kidwell - West Lafayette
  • Kyle Adams - West Lafayette

Hands down, the best of those four was Mills who graduated in 2009.  For last decade out of those above, I'd have to go with Kidwell who graduated in 2016.

Who was the 2009 QB for West Lafayette? Won Mr. Indiana Football if I remember right. Just remember watching him on film the week before our high school played him with my dad when I was a bit younger and knowing we were in trouble.

17 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Scheller is a great mention. Kid could do it all and flat out put GS on his back to help raise the expectations and set the stage for a lot of success that followed. I'd add the QB that followed him, but I can't remember his name. That kid was a leader in every sense. Unfortunately, the SF took away what would have been potentially some great Memorial - GS match-ups in 2019-2021, which meant I didn't see Allen except his freshman year in 2018. 

My list in the last 10 years would be Lindauer at #1. Michael had a great knack for spreading the ball to several WRs, but also knowing when to get the ball to Branson Combs and let him make plays when it was nut-cutting time. 

All-time (locally) I'd say #1 Jake Schiff of MD, #2/#3 the McIntosh brothers from Reitz and #4 Grant Gribbons from Memorial. Although Memorial never won state with Gribbons, he led us to 2 huge wins over very good Chatard teams in 2008 & 2009 and helped elevate our program, similar to what Jordan Scheller did at GS. 

Fun topic, Titan32...

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Who was the 2009 QB for West Lafayette? Won Mr. Indiana Football if I remember right. Just remember watching him on film the week before our high school played him with my dad when I was a bit younger and knowing we were in trouble.

Daniel Wodika. Single-handedly beat us at LOS. He was pretty incredible. I think he was named HC at Johns Hopkins recently.  He should be on my all-time list too...

Edited by tango
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tango said:

Scheller is a great mention. Kid could do it all and flat out put GS on his back to help raise the expectations and set the stage for a lot of success that followed. I'd add the QB that followed him, but I can't remember his name. That kid was a leader in every sense. Unfortunately, the SF took away what would have been potentially some great Memorial - GS match-ups in 2019-2021, which meant I didn't see Allen except his freshman year in 2018. 

My list in the last 10 years would be Lindauer at #1. Michael had a great knack for spreading the ball to several WRs, but also knowing when to get the ball to Branson Combs and let him make plays when it was nut-cutting time. 

All-time (locally) I'd say #1 Jake Schiff of MD, #2/#3 the McIntosh brothers from Reitz and #4 Grant Gribbons from Memorial. Although Memorial never won state with Gribbons, he led us to 2 huge wins over very good Chatard teams in 2008 & 2009 and helped elevate our program, similar to what Jordan Scheller did at GS. 

Fun topic, Titan32...

Sellers.  Both those boys were excellent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Wodicka.  I would have listed him, but I didn't see any WL football in person until 2011 when the rivalry resumed right before LCC entered the HC and would see WL annually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I was -5 when he graduated HS 

I was also a freshman at Purdue when he was there. Saw him get driven off on the field cart with his mom.

2 hours ago, tango said:

Fun topic, Titan32...

Nick Sellers followed Jordan Scheller.  He was special.

• Like 1

All Time

Jeff George was an amazing passer with a big arm but the 2 that most impressed me were James Banks and Rick Mirer. 

Those 2 did everything. Throw, Run, Play Defense, Punt, and Kick. The 2 most dominate players I ever saw.

All Time

Jeff George was an amazing passer with a big arm but the 2 that most impressed me were James Banks and Rick Mirer. 

Those 2 did everything. Throw, Run, Play Defense, Punt, and Kick. The 2 most dominate players I ever saw.

Summer of 89 I went down to see my nephew play in the All Star game back when the Div. 1 kids still played in it. Game was played in the old Hoosier Dome. All the reporters were saying how dominate the South team would be especially with their defense and that it would be a big blow out for the South.

Well it was a big blow out as Mirer and the North team put up 41 first half points. 

I saw James Banks in punt formation chase down a bad snap over his head that went in to his own end zone. He picked up and ran through the whole Warren Central defense for a touchdown. Most amazing play I ever saw in high school football.

• Like 1