Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Steroid use is still a major issue in schools. We need to confront it.

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/readers/2024/05/13/steroid-use-is-still-a-major-issue-in-schools-we-need-to-confront-it/73526479007/

In Indiana, our sense of community and shared values are the bedrock of our Hoosier identity. However, a concerning trend threatens our youth — the rise in performance-enhancing drug use. This issue not only jeopardizes individual health but also undermines the fabric of our communities. 

From classrooms to football fields, the allure of PEDs has seeped into the lives of our youth, posing a significant threat to our collective well-being. Shockingly, one study showed 12% of boys reported using products to enhance appearance, muscle mass or strength. These statistics demand our immediate attention and action.

By prioritizing comprehensive education and prevention efforts, we can empower our youth to resist the pressures of PED use. Initiatives such as the Indiana Department of Education's "Healthy Schools" program and community-based organizations provide valuable resources for intervention. 

Throughout my years in high school and my undergraduate studies as a biology major, I've witnessed peers fall prey to the allure of performance-enhancing drugs. It's imperative that we raise awareness and advocate for further research on this issue.

As proud Hoosiers, it's our responsibility to confront this issue head-on and protect the future of our community. Together, let's stand united in our commitment to safeguarding our Hoosier identity and ensuring the wellbeing of generations to come.

Elias Kessilyas is from Carmel.

Is this really that bad of a problem in Indiana?  What can be done to prevent it?

• Disdain 1

I’d be willing to bet that most kids are referring to creatine and weight gainers. When asking kids if they use anything to enhance their appearance that leaves a lot to interpretation. “12% of boys reported using products to enhance appearance, muscle mass or strength” vs “12% of boys reported using steroids” would have been more in line with the clickbait headline. The author clearly doesn’t know the difference. And he refers to “one study” for his data set. A quick peek at his LinkedIn says he has “research experience”. This article might be the full extent of that experience. 

This is the actual cited reference from the article “According to a 2016 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the prevalence of PED use among high school athletes in the United States ranged from 2.7% to 4.0%, depending on the specific sport.6 Another study found that 8% of girls and 12% of boys used products to improve appearance, muscle mass, or strength, and 3.3% of high school students admitted to using steroids.7

“3.3% of high school athletes admitted to using steroids” is the actual number. 

This is the cited study: 

• Dandoy C, Gereige RS. Performance-enhancing drugs. Pediatr Rev. Jun 2012;33(6):265-71; quiz 271-2. doi:10.1542/pir.33-6-265
It’s from 2012. Not sure that it qualifies as “still a major issue”.

Why did I waste my time going down this rabbit hole? I must be bored out of my skull this morning.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

I’d be willing to bet that most kids are referring to creatine and weight gainers. When asking kids if they use anything to enhance their appearance that leaves a lot to interpretation. “12% of boys reported using products to enhance appearance, muscle mass or strength” vs “12% of boys reported using steroids” would have been more in line with the clickbait headline. The author clearly doesn’t know the difference. And he refers to “one study” for his data set. A quick peek at his LinkedIn says he has “research experience”. This article might be the full extent of that experience. 

This is the actual cited reference from the article “According to a 2016 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the prevalence of PED use among high school athletes in the United States ranged from 2.7% to 4.0%, depending on the specific sport.6 Another study found that 8% of girls and 12% of boys used products to improve appearance, muscle mass, or strength, and 3.3% of high school students admitted to using steroids.7

This is the cited study: 

• Dandoy C, Gereige RS. Performance-enhancing drugs. Pediatr Rev. Jun 2012;33(6):265-71; quiz 271-2. doi:10.1542/pir.33-6-265

Why did I waste my time going down this rabbit hole? I must be bored out of my skull this morning.

Thank you for your post.  When I read the original article, I thought the exact same.  Is the author referencing steroids, or are they grouping in products such as protein supplements, creatine, etc.?  Appreciate the data you shared.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is a letter to the editor.  Please don't click on the link...it just encourages the Star to do more of this.

I agree on all points from Just a Dad.  

The headline was likely generated by IndyStar and not the letter writer.  The cited study does not state 12% use steroids, that 12% includes MANY over the counter, legal supplements and stimulants (would I recommend the use of all these "legal" products to an athlete...No)...and it appears the headline purposely misconstrues this data to generate clicks.

Also, the 3.3% of athletes that "USE STEROIDS"????...It comes from this question on the survey:

"In relation to steroid use, the survey asks if the teenager “ever took steroid pills or shots without a doctor’s prescription one or more time during their life.”

Should kids being doing this....hard No.  But taking a single dose of Prednisone off label one time in your life, is NOT what most of us would consider a "user of steroids".

This study and the accompanying letter to the editor are perfect examples of how any "scientific study" can be crafted to get the data you want...and then any "news" article can then cite that study and create a headline to influence the minds of suburban moms everywhere (no offense to my wife who is, in fact, a suburban mom).😁

Edited by US31
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Muda69 said:

OMG!!! This is a big problem in College football!!! 😡

My son told me that a lot of the boys on his team last fall were using performance enhancing drugs!!! 💪

Someone told the Athletic Director and he decided to drug test the team! 👏 👏 👏

But then one of the upperclassmen found out about it! He was the best defensive player on my son's team, a big strong linebacker!!! 💪 💪 💪

The night before the drug tests, this upperclassman had the other players on the team do something called an oil change!! My son wouldn't tell me what that means, but he said it helps you pass a drug test even if you've been using drugs!!! 😱

The team must have passed the drug tests because no one got in any trouble!!! 🙈 🙉 🙊

Edited by Lucy Draper
a
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lucy Draper said:

OMG!!! This is a big problem in College football!!! 😡

My son told me that a lot of the boys on his team last fall were using performance enhancing drugs!!! 💪

Someone told the Athletic Director and he decided to drug test the team! 👏 👏 👏

But then one of the upperclassmen found out about it! He was the best defensive player on my son's team, a big strong linebacker!!! 💪 💪 💪

The night before the drug tests, this upperclassman had the other players on the team do something called an oil change!! My son wouldn't tell me what that means, but he said it helps you pass a drug test even if you've been using drugs!!! 😱

The team must have passed the drug tests because no one got in any trouble!!! 🙈 🙉 🙊

I should add that my son plays for one of the best college football teams in the USA!!! 🐐 🐐 🐐

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, US31 said:

any "scientific study" can be crafted to get the data you want

I get your point, and it’s a valid one. But to truly be a “scientific” study, the outcome cannot predetermined. Conclusions go where the data lead them. Calling this “scientific “ gives it more credence than it deserves.

1 hour ago, Just a dad said:

This is the cited study: 

Zero percent chance there are 12% of kids using steroids lol 

• Like 2

what a bs study. here is a small list of things that would qualify for "enhance appearance, muscle mass, or strength".

1. hair gel
2. anything you can buy at gnc

whoever wrote this should be shunned from society for intentionally misleading people

• Like 3

SARMS are what is big right now with HS athletes.  Like anything else, these kids are in real danger of getting counterfeit products online that could negatively impact their health.

38 minutes ago, US31 said:

This study and the accompanying letter to the editor are perfect examples of how any "scientific study" can be crafted to get the data you want...and then any "news" article can then cite that study and create a headline to influence the minds of suburban moms everywhere (no offense to my wife who is, in fact, a suburban mom).😁

I agree TOTALLY that this study is outdated and irrelevant to the headline created by said media outlet (IndyStar). However, I do feel it's dangerous (because of society's insistence that they/ we know more than the experts in *insert any field of study here*) to suggest that "any 'scientific study' can be crafted to get the data you want," due to the fact that ACTUAL researchers (not whatever this guy was/ claims to be) take the time to minimize bias and the skewing of results in their studies. Even this not so great study that this letter to the editor references are not "alarming numbers" and the data (as @Just a dad pointed out kindly) CLEARLY indicates/ explains how their study was conducted, what the results were. The problem there is that people have to read (and know how to) in order to understand WHAT the study says/ studied, and A LOT of folks won't go through that effort and thus, the headline wins...  

I truly believe the REAL PROBLEM, as you pointed out, is the misleading headline, writing, and publishing of a "letter to the editor" article that references data that is 12 years old (well outside of the appropriate mark for quality research) by a newspaper/ publication that (I assume) many on this forum either read, have read, respect, or have respected previously. 

53 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I get your point, and it’s a valid one. But to truly be a “scientific” study, the outcome cannot predetermined. Conclusions go where the data lead them. Calling this “scientific “ gives it more credence than it deserves.

This is essentially my point above. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Zero percent chance there are 12% of kids using steroids lol 

12% using various legal supplements, sure...

12% using the illegal juice, NO SHOT. If so, I'd have won A LOT more games (or so I'd like to believe). 😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoachMack219 said:

12% using various legal supplements, sure...

12% using the illegal juice, NO SHOT. If so, I'd have won A LOT more games (or so I'd like to believe). 😂

I actually think... "12% using various legal supplements" is probably a low number. I know for a fact, it would be for ours. 

47 minutes ago, Rodney said:

what a bs study. here is a small list of things that would qualify for "enhance appearance, muscle mass, or strength".

1. hair gel
2. anything you can buy at gnc

whoever wrote this should be shunned from society for intentionally misleading people

Bingo

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

note that I put "scientific study" in those quotation thingy's👍🍻

• Haha 1

I don't believe steroid use is this rampant lol.. there may be some outliers, but there is no way it's more than 1%. 

Unless mom and dad are buying it for them, or they are getting it from their local gym dealer, I feel it would be too costly/hard to get. 

• Like 1