Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Wide Open 6A

4 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I think the drop off after the top 2-3 in 5A is much larger than you are estimating.  It’s New Pal, Cathedral and then everybody else.  Dwenger and Valpo are the only other two I’d consider and they’ll most likely get their chance in the coming weeks.  If I’m wrong (which I haven’t been yet when it comes to debating with you) I’ll be the first one on here to admit it.

I’ve been a staunch critic of 6A more so than anyone, but let’s not underestimate the fact that they are double/triple the size of the top 5A schools in most cases.

Sorry, not taking the bait. 

Anyway. I don't know much about Decatur Central other than that Sagarin has them ahead of Dwenger in the four spot. There is definitely a huge drop off after #5. It remains to be seen if the drop off is after 2 or 3 as you sugest. Time will tell.

10 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Agree with Temptation on this.  You’ve got 2 teams in 5A as good as anyone in the State.  I think Valpo might well be there, also.  Jury is out on Dwenger.  Need to see them play more non-SAC teams.  Big drop-off after that.

Can't argue with that.

I think we can all agree that New Pal and Cathedral can roll with anyone, but Valpo and Dwenger still have something to prove. Do we still believe Homestead is Top 5 after what happened in Noblesville? Personally, I don't. I think the loss of Hardwick is having a major impact on their offense. But when Homestead was at full strength, they beat Dwenger 17-15 in a game that I felt Dwenger should have won. The point I'm making is that if Homestead was a top 5 team then, why couldn't Dwenger be? Lot's of questions to be answered in the coming weeks. 

I will say this about Dwenger. They might have the best defense in the state. And defense (normally) wins championships. They can flat out shut teams down, score a couple of touchdowns, and win the game. The problem here is that I'm not sure they have an offense that would make top 40. And that could be their downfall. 

22 minutes ago, BTF said:

Can't argue with that.

I think we can all agree that New Pal and Cathedral can roll with anyone, but Valpo and Dwenger still have something to prove. Do we still believe Homestead is Top 5 after what happened in Noblesville? Personally, I don't. I think the loss of Hardwick is having a major impact on their offense. But when Homestead was at full strength, they beat Dwenger 17-15 in a game that I felt Dwenger should have won. The point I'm making is that if Homestead was a top 5 team then, why couldn't Dwenger be? Lot's of questions to be answered in the coming weeks. 

I will say this about Dwenger. They might have the best defense in the state. And defense (normally) wins championships. They can flat out shut teams down, score a couple of touchdowns, and win the game. The problem here is that I'm not sure they have an offense that would make top 40. And that could be their downfall. 

“The top 5 teams in 5A, in my opinion, could give the top 5 in 6A a run for their money.”

“I think we can all agree that New Pal and Cathedral can roll with anyone, but Valpo and Dwenger still have something to prove.”

So, which is it?

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Temptation said:

“The top 5 teams in 5A, in my opinion, could give the top 5 in 6A a run for their money.”

“I think we can all agree that New Pal and Cathedral can roll with anyone, but Valpo and Dwenger still have something to prove.”

So, which is it?

How many beatings did you take in high school? It was a little punk like you that got Bob Knight fired. I'm not engaging with your BS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure..if ur 5a program was a true football factory they might give mighty 6a a battle..i guess it depends on the year..we all see generational talent in every class..these two are similar to 1a-2a, 3a-4a..heck the year snider won 5a dwenger beat them n won 4a..i know the topic of independence n out of conference games has been spoken of..maybe if the elite 6a scheduled the elite 5a we could have a better grasp..i can dream can't I? Has there ever been a 6a champ that lost to let alone scheduled a 5a power???

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Can't argue with that.

Problem is that Dwenger lost their best defensive player for the season and the true leader of that D. It hasn’t hurt them yet. North Side had a kick return and a 15 yard TD drive so the 22 they gave up is a little deceiving. However, losing Hayden Ellinger is going to hurt them big time after the sectional championship when they play a team like Harrison and Valpo if they make it that far. When they had Ellinger yes I believe they had arguably one of the best D’s in the state regardless of class.  

They might’ve just lost one of their other best players for the season. They’re losing players at the wrong time.

Edited by FWfootball10
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FWfootball10 said:

Problem is that Dwenger lost their best defensive player for the season and the true leader of that D. It hasn’t hurt them yet. North Side had a kick return and a 15 yard TD drive so the 22 they gave up is a little deceiving. However, losing Hayden Ellinger is going to hurt them big time after the sectional championship when they play a team like Harrison and Valpo if they make it that far. When they had Ellinger yes I believe they had arguably one of the best D’s in the state regardless of class.  

That's what separates a good program from a legit 6a powerhouse..next man up can go DIII or naia..in high school that's major!

26 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

That's what separates a good program from a legit 6a powerhouse..next man up can go DIII or naia..in high school that's major!

You’re right, I think they’re top 22 can play with anybody in the state. They scrimmaged Hamilton Southeastern in the summer and I was told it was pretty even by people on both sides. However, the drop off after their top 22 is big this year and 6a team would exploit that I believe. Hopefully they prove me wrong. 

12 hours ago, BTF said:

The winner in 5A could make a claim as the best team in the entire state. The top 5 teams in 5A, in my opinion, could give the top 5 in 6A a run for their money. There is no comparison in 6 through 32.................5A would get manhandled. 

Who da 5th team?

12 hours ago, BTF said:

I think you might be surprised that even though New Palestine and Cathedral's Offense get a lot of attention they both have spectacular defense's. New Palestine gives up an average of 8 ppg and a lot of those points come when their back-ups are in. I know New Pal doesn't play in the best conference, but they gave up 9 points to Center Grove and only 7 to Whiteland. Cathedral has given up 15 ppg against a pretty rugged schedule with some teams that can put up points in bunches. Holding Chatard to 21 points (Chatard's average is 43 ppg) was a pretty solid effort. They also held Center Grove to 9 and Louisville Trinity to 7. The 2 games that have killed their average were Cincinnati Elder and Cincinnati St. X who both can put up a lot of points quickly. Against their opponents from Indiana they have given up 10 ppg.

While I think Cathedral and New Pal are the favorite from the South bracket, I do think Valpo and FW Dwenger are the favorites from the North. Both Valpo and Dwenger have very good defense's as well. Of the 4 teams Valpo, New Pal, Dwenger, and Cathedral they all have very good defense's that are in the top 5 of 5A. Offensively Dwenger is the only one not in the top 10 of PPG. Some interesting games coming forward for sure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

They might’ve just lost one of their other best players for the season. They’re losing players at the wrong time.

I didn't know about the loss of Ellinger. That could be a problem when they get to a Valpo. 

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I think you might be surprised that even though New Palestine and Cathedral's Offense get a lot of attention they both have spectacular defense's. New Palestine gives up an average of 8 ppg and a lot of those points come when their back-ups are in. I know New Pal doesn't play in the best conference, but they gave up 9 points to Center Grove and only 7 to Whiteland. Cathedral has given up 15 ppg against a pretty rugged schedule with some teams that can put up points in bunches. Holding Chatard to 21 points (Chatard's average is 43 ppg) was a pretty solid effort. They also held Center Grove to 9 and Louisville Trinity to 7. The 2 games that have killed their average were Cincinnati Elder and Cincinnati St. X who both can put up a lot of points quickly. Against their opponents from Indiana they have given up 10 ppg.

While I think Cathedral and New Pal are the favorite from the South bracket, I do think Valpo and FW Dwenger are the favorites from the North. Both Valpo and Dwenger have very good defense's as well. Of the 4 teams Valpo, New Pal, Dwenger, and Cathedral they all have very good defense's that are in the top 5 of 5A. Offensively Dwenger is the only one not in the top 10 of PPG. Some interesting games coming forward for sure.

That actually doesn't surprise me at all. Two great programs.

Having seen Dwenger play, offense certainly isn't a strong point. 

Interesting random fact: Crown Point has won Sectionals the past 3 years by avenging a regular season loss in the Sectional Championship. 2 out of the 3 Sectionals were won by beating Merrillville. They now have the chance to avenge an early loss to Merrillville and send the Pirates home 3 out of past 4 years. This is a neighborhood rivalry divided by 101st Avenue that I would expect to be close. 

Edited by Boilernation

1 hour ago, cg_holmeaid said:

This went from 6a to 5a in a flash

Good segway.  What does everyone think of Franklin Central’s chances Friday night?

(Can’t blame me for trying...)

CLASS 6A
1: Merrillville [9-1] at Crown Point [6-4] [BRACKET]
2: Penn [6-4] at Warsaw [8-2] [BRACKET]
3: Carroll (Fort Wayne) [7-3] at Homestead [10-0] [BRACKET]
4: Westfield [6-4] at Carmel [7-3] [BRACKET]
5: Brownsburg [7-3] at Zionsville [4-6] [BRACKET]
6: Southport [7-3] at Ben Davis [6-4] [BRACKET]
7: Lawrence North [4-6] at Warren Central [7-3] [BRACKET]
8: Franklin Central [5-5] at Center Grove [5-5] [BRACKET]

Merrillville 31  Crown Point 14

Warsaw 21  Penn 14

Carroll 35  Homestead 27

Carmel 24  Westfield 14

Brownsburg 31 Zionsville 17

Ben Davis 38  Southport 10

Warren Central 24  Lawrence North 21

Center Grove 35 Franklin Central 7

49 minutes ago, Staxawax said:
CLASS 6A
1: Merrillville [9-1] at Crown Point [6-4] [BRACKET]
2: Penn [6-4] at Warsaw [8-2] [BRACKET]
3: Carroll (Fort Wayne) [7-3] at Homestead [10-0] [BRACKET]
4: Westfield [6-4] at Carmel [7-3] [BRACKET]
5: Brownsburg [7-3] at Zionsville [4-6] [BRACKET]
6: Southport [7-3] at Ben Davis [6-4] [BRACKET]
7: Lawrence North [4-6] at Warren Central [7-3] [BRACKET]
8: Franklin Central [5-5] at Center Grove [5-5] [BRACKET]

Warsaw 21  Penn 14

Carroll 35  Homestead 27

Carmel 24  Westfield 14

I think I agree with all of your winners except for Carroll.  I think Homestead's wake up call was last week (at least that is what I am hoping as I picked them to make it to LOS out of the north).

I think the Brownsburg (let down) game will be closer and think Warren stomps LN.

23 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Warren stomps LN.

I respect the heck out of Warren, but I just don't see them stomping anyone in the MIC at this point. I think they win, but I think this is a 28-14 or so game. I think LN stays in it. I'm just not impressed with WC's offense, overall past Mr. Wells. Warren's defense is really solid. 

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

Warsaw 21  Penn 14

Carroll 35  Homestead 27

Carmel 24  Westfield 14

I'll take Penn in Sectional 2, Homestead in 3. Other than that, I agree with the rest of your picks.

Merrillville 28, Crown Point 20

Penn 14, Warsaw 7

Homestead 35, Carroll 31

Carmel 28, Westfield 17

Brownsburg 35, Zionsville 7

Ben Davis 42, Southport 7

Warren Central 28, Lawrence North 14

Center Grove 24, Franklin Central 3