Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Carson Steele picks up first offer from Indiana State

IMO Steele has the higher ceiling of the two for college football. Charlie will go down as the better HS back out of the two, Steele will have the better college career. 

They're different types of RBs. Steele is overall more athletic and has a frame to work with.

Charlie was stronger than every player on the field and it showed. When playing 18-23 year old boys at the next level they're all that strong. 

Edited by FridayNightLights
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Thru their junior seasons, Spegal had 1001 carries.  Steele has had 703.

And Spegal did not receive a scholarship to IU, he walked on.  Something that Steele can do if he so chooses.

I think Spegal does not have a scholarship offer because people do not believe he is good enough.  Steele does not have an offer because people do not believe he will be healthy.  Very different reasons, but still the same result.

5 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

1. A lack of open field speed yet fast enough to out run Ben Davis, Warren Central, Cathedral, plus other MIC defenders for long TD runs on several occasions. One heck of a shifty back too.

2. Of course he wouldn't be listed in the top 15 right now he only played 3 games his Junior season. His body of work as a Freshman and Sophomore was pretty darn good. I think you will see him jump into the top 10 for Indiana Class of 2021 if he stays healthy.

3. Difficult to compare Spegal's Junior year to Steele's Junior year because Steele only played 3 games. If you want to compare their Freshman and Soph years we can 

Spegal Freshman 356 carries 1,958 yds 17 TD's

Spegal Sophomore 327 carries 2,385 yds 33 TD's

Steele Freshman 272 carries 1,703 yds 20 TD

Steele Sophomore 367 carries 2,270 yds 29 TD

Compare away

Maybe these guys are being used too much

The lifespan of a RB is rather short relative to other positions on the field.  There may be a perception amongst recruiters that perhaps 1200 carries over a 4 year high school career has taken some time off the back end of their career 

3 hours ago, DT said:

Maybe these guys are being used too much

The lifespan of a RB is rather short relative to other positions on the field.  There may be a perception amongst recruiters that perhaps 1200 carries over a 4 year high school career has taken some time off the back end of their career 

I wouldn’t expect Steele’s load to be as heavy next year. He will still get the most carries out of all the backs, but with Weems having a year under his belt now, the load for Steele might be taken down just a bit. Also having Brandon Wheat fully healthy at the wingback position will help.

Edited by cg_holmeaid

2 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

I wouldn’t expect Steele’s load to be as heavy next year. He will still get the most carries out of all the backs, but with Weems having a year under his belt now, the load for Steele might be taken down just a bit. Also having Brandon Wheat fully healthy at the wingback position will help.

also might look to throw a touch more. do forget about Delp and  Evans

8 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Thru their junior seasons, Spegal had 1001 carries.  Steele has had 703.

they seem like very different backs to me

Steele is 6'2" 210 lbs

Spegal is 5'10" 225 lbs

That is three years (Spegal) vs two for Steele though. 

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

LOL....that wasn't me who made that quote.....Merry Christmas Warrior!!

11 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

I thought center grove didnt have any talent?

The question asked about CG, BD and WC was "where's the talent?"

The question was based on the fact that The Attached Indiana 2020 Top 50 Prospect list only includes 1 player from the 3 schools "combined"  Its almost unfathomable that BD and WC both have not a single player on the list.  Yes, talent is cyclical, but this surely is an anomaly.  

With regards to CG, there is a huge stable of talent in the lower grades.  

2021 looks a bit thin for the Big 3 as well.

https://247sports.com/college/bucknell/Season/2021-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

https://www.scout.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

Edited by DT

45 minutes ago, DT said:

The question asked about CG, BD and WC was "where's the talent?"

The question was based on the fact that The Attached Indiana 2020 Top 50 Prospect list only includes 1 player from the 3 schools "combined"  Its almost unfathomable that BD and WC both have not a single player on the list.  Yes, talent is cyclical, but this surely is an anomaly.  

With regards to CG, there is a huge stable of talent in the lower grades.  

2021 looks a bit thin for the Big 3 as well.

https://247sports.com/college/bucknell/Season/2021-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

https://www.scout.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

Easy now.  Facts can really get in the way of a narrative and many posters’ hyperbole.  They love to take a factual statement and twist it.  

The fact that we are actually debating whether or not new Palestine would stand a chance in 6A proves the statement that the senior classes at the mega schools were down is true.

Keep doing you DT.  Merry Christmas!

Edited by Guest

44 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Easy now.  Facts can really get in the way of a narrative and many posters’ hyperbole.  They love to take a factual statement and twist it.  

The fact that we are actually debating whether or not new Palestine would stand a chance in 6A proves the statement that the senior classes at the mega schools were down is true.

Keep doing you DT.  Merry Christmas!

Interesting point

If 4A NP is indeed the best team in the state this year, what does that say about the quality of our high school football in Indiana in 2019?

BD and WC are the two bell cows of Indiana high school football.  There is no question about that statement, from both an inside and outside perspective.  Carmel quietly has become the most consistent developer of D1 talent amongst the mega schools, and CG looks to have the most upside based on what is coming up at the lower levels.

I made a statement in an earlier post that the power center of MIC football has shifted from BD-WC to CA-CG.  Thye system schools have caught and passed the pure talent schools.  

18 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

LOL....that wasn't me who made that quote.....Merry Christmas Warrior!!

I know it wasn't. Haha. I just thought id ask someone who is in the know there cuz i was told there wasn't 😅 merry Christmas to you too.

• 5 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I believe you are referring to Lexington Steele 

used to be a thing on Howard Stern show they would play clips of that guy 

Yeah....I am familiar...uh..cough...I mean I have heard of him.  Just thinking this name sounded like the sequel LOL.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Austin Booker DE CG just picked up another offer....Missouri

How is anyone going to be able to score on CG next year when the Trojans have two future NFL defensive ends in the starting lineup?   

They also potentially will have a first team all state QB and RB on offense

Crazy talent