Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Corona and Fall Sports

32 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

Couple things on that... First, I was all doom and gloom and still have some of that in me. I am on the front lines of this. I was in a house yesterday where the whole family was positive and they had to call 911 for gma that had to get taken in. My wife is also in the medical field and is an ICU nurse. So to say that I am uninformed is not true. I just know that the protocol changes daily for both of us. SO SO much has changed in 3 weeks. I just feel better about it. 

Never said you were uninformed, just wondered what changed.

5 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

You and I are on the same team.  And the data/models continue/s to be wrong.

I have said it since day 1, way more to this than a virus.

You do not shut the world down b/c of a virus.

We are at war with the hidden enemy.  President Trump is 100% correct.  The unmasking has been going on for years now.  People need to wake up.

The numbers reported as deaths due to COVID-19 are not all documented as that specific virus being the cause. Numbers are inflated. 

On 4/14/2020 at 11:16 AM, Titan32 said:

I can see a scenerio where only parents/gardians etc. are allowed to attend football games.

This sounds good in theory until Jimmy's mom who works from home gets coughed on by Joey's mom who works at the Methodist ICU.

Today, I could see this potentially happening admitting spectators with proper PPE. Then again it would also pose a question of player safety. it would be hilarious to see players wearing a mask, underneath their facemask!

Then again, more and more teams are webcasting their games...

23 minutes ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

This sounds good in theory until Jimmy's mom who works from home gets coughed on by Joey's mom who works at the Methodist ICU.

Today, I could see this potentially happening admitting spectators with proper PPE. Then again it would also pose a question of player safety. it would be hilarious to see players wearing a mask, underneath their facemask!

Then again, more and more teams are webcasting their games...

I can honestly say that I can see a world wear proper PPE for game admittance is the new norm. Atleast a cloth mask. You could have team colored masks.

13 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

I can honestly say that I can see a world wear proper PPE for game admittance is the new norm. Atleast a cloth mask. You could have team colored masks.

Maybe not a bad idea. Question, can I still wear a mask and dark sunglasses when I go banking??

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, psaboy said:

The numbers reported as deaths due to COVID-19 are not all documented as that specific virus being the cause. Numbers are inflated. 

BINGO. 

5 hours ago, Raven67 said:

We have made so many advances in treatment and testing in the last 6 weeks. Football is 14 weeks out until August. Due to China withholding information, this virus has only been worked on by some of the best medical minds in the world for 6 weeks. Let that set in. In another 6 weeks, if we make the strides we keep making, we will be WAY better off let alone 14 weeks. 3 weeks ago we were being told up to 240,000 deaths, that is down to now under 60,000. That is even with New York padding there stats. Hospitals are not even close to capacity of ICU beds. There are empty hospitals that were supposed to be full. They set up a couple thousand field hospital in Washington state, never used. New York NEVER used the Navy's hospital ship. Do not get drowned by watching the media. Is this bad... .YES. It is just not all doom and gloom, we are doing good. Keep up the work and we may see football come August or September. My bet is that we have a treatment by then. A vaccine will not cut this out, it will continue to mutate. We just need a treatment that keeps people out of the hospital and ICU..  

Much more to this virus. 

18 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

4) While the CFP is the NCAA's biggest cash cow, moving the season to the Spring kills their second biggest cash cow, the men's basketball tournament.

The interesting part of this is the CFP generates $0 for the NCAA. The CFP is a separate organization made of D1 members (and I assume only FBS with power to P5 conferences and schools). The NCAA may have some say over when and how the CFP is allowed to operate, but I doubt the CFP as an organization has any authority over what the NCAA decides to do. Most likely that influence would come from the members of the CFP in their roles within the NCAA. It's an interesting and complicated dynamic that could create some interesting conflict here.

psa, you may be completely correct in terms of the official relationship between the two, CFP and NCAA, but my best guess would be that the two work for what is mutually beneficial for both organizations. And by "mutually beneficial" I mean "what makes us the most money..." Again, there may not be any "official" dollars coming to the NCAA from the CFP, but it probably is not going to take a lot of connecting the dots to find some "unofficial" or ancillary dollars.

6 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

psa, you may be completely correct in terms of the official relationship between the two, CFP and NCAA, but my best guess would be that the two work for what is mutually beneficial for both organizations. And by "mutually beneficial" I mean "what makes us the most money..." Again, there may not be any "official" dollars coming to the NCAA from the CFP, but it probably is not going to take a lot of connecting the dots to find some "unofficial" or ancillary dollars.

Money goes to schools and conferences that are also members of the NCAA, but the NCAA organization itself gets no money from the CFP. Since a large percentage of the revenue for the NCAA eventually goes to the schools you could argue it's a semantics thing.

a

I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be of some interest here as well.  

“Just an interesting anecdote about perspectives as regards the danger of the coronavirus.

An old, old friend and roommate of mine in our younger days  is a life long pharmacist.  To put it bluntly, he thinks we are overwrought as to the handling of the coronavirus and falls (still) very much on the side of it being just a bit worse than the flu.  He quite often sends me updated numbers concerning various maladies with death rates, actual deaths, etc. vs. what we know so far concerning the coronavirus to support his position.  Not a dumb guy........for the record.

His wife is also a pharmacist but in the course of her career she has held fairly prominent executive positions with several major pharma companies and even been the CEO of a pharma start-up a year or so ago (she rang the opening NASDQ bell as part of that time).  In following her Facebook posts, she takes it very seriously and seems very much to fall on the Dr. Fauci side of things.

Two very smart people who have a real degree of expertise as regards this (admittedly not epidemiologists) who are at absolute opposite ends of the spectrum.  If two people with that sort of pedigree (who somehow actually live under the same roof) are so vastly far apart just how do the rest of us truly know just where we should fall on the spectrum.”

• Like 5

7 hours ago, JustRules said:

Money goes to schools and conferences that are also members of the NCAA, but the NCAA organization itself gets no money from the CFP. Since a large percentage of the revenue for the NCAA eventually goes to the schools you could argue it's a semantics thing.

I would argue just that. And sorry, for some reason I referred to you as psaboy in my previous post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:
a

I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be of some interest here as well.  

“Just an interesting anecdote about perspectives as regards the danger of the coronavirus.

An old, old friend and roommate of mine in our younger days  is a life long pharmacist.  To put it bluntly, he thinks we are overwrought as to the handling of the coronavirus and falls (still) very much on the side of it being just a bit worse than the flu.  He quite often sends me updated numbers concerning various maladies with death rates, actual deaths, etc. vs. what we know so far concerning the coronavirus to support his position.  Not a dumb guy........for the record.

His wife is also a pharmacist but in the course of her career she has held fairly prominent executive positions with several major pharma companies and even been the CEO of a pharma start-up a year or so ago (she rang the opening NASDQ bell as part of that time).  In following her Facebook posts, she takes it very seriously and seems very much to fall on the Dr. Fauci side of things.

Two very smart people who have a real degree of expertise as regards this (admittedly not epidemiologists) who are at absolute opposite ends of the spectrum.  If two people with that sort of pedigree (who somehow actually live under the same roof) are so vastly far apart just how do the rest of us truly know just where we should fall on the spectrum.”

Thanks for posting, I hope all is well with you and your family.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 7:47 PM, psaboy said:

Possibly, but as I've heard from many, if someone has a heart condition, diabetes, or something else, it could have sped up the death. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Robert said:

Possibly, but as I've heard from many, if someone has a heart condition, diabetes, or something else, it could have sped up the death. 

Correct ... and they are also suspected to be more susceptible to COVID.  Also, the numbers reported typically reflect those that are input from institutions when the death tends to happen there.  There are many that have died at home that aren't showing up in the numbers or haven't been tested for cause pending scarcity of testing resources.

43 minutes ago, Robert said:

Colombia for me.  Ecuador is scary...

Great country.  My daughter was there for about three weeks or so right after Christmas ... had a blast.

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Similar to a number of viruses. AIDS for example. People may have multiple complications due to having it, so it may be the cause of death, but often times, the cause of death is AIDS related illness or complications; with pneumonia being the most common cause. 

A lawyer friend put it best. In the legal world, if you shoot someone who is falling off the roof; even though the fall would have caused them to die any way, you are still charged with murder for shooting him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

Great country.  My daughter was there for about three weeks or so right after Christmas ... had a blast.

Which one?  I've lived in both.  Neither are scary to me....just Ecuador is having a rough time right now.  

Edited by Robert

29 minutes ago, Robert said:

Which one?  I've lived in both.  Neither are scary to me....just Ecuador is having a rough time right now.  

Ecuador.  My daughter loved it there.  When I was in high school, I had a couple of friends whose family was from Guayaquil.

22 hours ago, Gipper said:

I have heard it is getting much more tourist friendly, but wouldn’t Escobar’s legacy loom pretty large?

His city is actually the best place to be.  You hear a lot of xenophobia because of the Venozuelans are escaping their country.   And they're dying by the dozens , hundreds, thousands???? in Guayaquil, the big city.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52324218 

Edited by Robert

9 hours ago, Robert said:

His city is actually the best place to be.  You hear a lot of xenophobia because of the Venozuelans are escaping their country.   And they're dying by the dozens , hundreds, thousands???? in Guayaquil, the big city.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52324218 

Thanks for the info.  I was at a conference in Las Vegas recently where someone was talking about Cartagena.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 7:28 AM, wabashalwaysfights said:

I would argue just that. And sorry, for some reason I referred to you as psaboy in my previous post.

It's just important for people to understand the NCAA organization headquartered downtown isn't swimming in money like people think and most of their operations are around compliance and championships. They are not involved with regular season games and the CFP and bowls are not their events. Many people don't understand that. They want to know why the NCAA doesn't change their bowl system to a playoff. A big reason is because it' snot their bowl season and the CFP isn't theirs either.