Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should we return to play on schedule?

Interesting. Many, many people (by no means just here on the GID) seem to have the viewpoint “there’s no vaccine, so SARS-CoV-2 will inevitably go through the entire population. Might as well get it over with.”  Reminds me of the Bobby Knight quote about rape:

I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.

1 hour ago, SEAL_63 said:

This is true. But I would guess these same kids are coming into contact with one another on their own time. It might as well be on the practice field or weight room. 

You don’t see many groups of 30 kids if left to their own devices. Organized sports activities expand the opportunities for virus transmission exponentially. No one can really deny that.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

You don’t see many groups of 30 kids if left to their own devices. Organized sports activities expand the opportunities for virus transmission exponentially. No one can really deny that.

100% Correct. 

It's shocking to me how many people are not wearing masks at the grocery store, etc.  I'm still very skeptical we will have a fall sports season.  Ev. Mater Dei already had to postpone their restart a week because of a positive return for COVID-19.       

5 hours ago, Julio said:

NFHS has said those type of mask will not be allowed, as they pose a chance of injury to the athlete.  My brother in law coaches college baseball in California and he said that their football team might be wearing them.  Laney College, which is featured on the Netflix show Last Chance U.

IMO, that is quite odd. 

Last season, I saw a players lower back protector/flap break. The piece that came off looked like the blade of a knife. 

21 minutes ago, tango said:

100% Correct. 

It's shocking to me how many people are not wearing masks at the grocery store, etc.  I'm still very skeptical we will have a fall sports season.  Ev. Mater Dei already had to postpone their restart a week because of a positive return for COVID-19.       

I am skeptical too and become more so daily.....and I am absolutely agnostic on the politics of this.

I still think the jury is out for the pro sports experiment.   I think NASCAR will pull it off but have serious doubts about the stick and ball sports.   If that ends up going bust, then there will flatly be no HS.

4 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I am skeptical too and become more so daily.....and I am absolutely agnostic on the politics of this.

I still think the jury is out for the pro sports experiment.   I think NASCAR will pull it off but have serious doubts about the stick and ball sports.   If that ends up going bust, then there will flatly be no HS.

Masks have become nothing more than a political pissing contest.

12 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Masks have become nothing more than a political pissing contest.

I actually think they are real and helpful but to those intensely political on both sides, “yes” - just part of a pissing contest.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Interesting. Many, many people (by no means just here on the GID) seem to have the "there’s no vaccine, so SARS-CoV-2 will inevitably go through the entire population. Might as well get it over with.”  Reminds me of the Bobby Knight quote about rape:

I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.

For as idiotic as some of Dan Ellenwood's posts have been, comparing a virus with an estimated ~99% survival rate with rape takes the All Time Hyperbole Trophy.  Well done.  

10 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

For as idiotic as some of Dan Ellenwood's posts have been, comparing a virus with an estimated ~99% survival rate with rape takes the All Time Hyperbole Trophy.  Well done.  

15 yard penalty...AUTOMATIC 1st down!!!

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Ill take your apology at due time. 

I too am politically agnostic in terms of this virus.  If "cases" shut downs schools and or sports in Indiana, that is just a sad state of affairs.  We had an "outbreak" in our area after some Memorial day graduation parties.  Folks who suspected they might have been exposed got tested (I estimate about 200), 6 kids (give or take) came out positive.  Coincidentally, those 6 kids had prolonged face to face contact with a known positive.  Those kids quarantined at home and to my knowledge no one in their immediate or extended families became sick.   All 6 kids have had colds that were harder on them than COVID-19.  If we can't manage these types of "cases" in HS sports we might as well just hang up the prospect of doing anything and shut it all down now.

My fear is the knee jerk reactions that are going to take place when some school "X" with 800-1000 kids has 25 positive "cases" in one week at some point.  There will be nutjobs in that community, no matter where it is, calling for the shutdown of sports, the school or both.  We have to be able to manage a situation like that and it should be technically manageable.  Large factories are getting through it all over the state.....but profits are at stake.  Our kids will be safe.  Those at risk should take extraordinary steps to manage their personal risk.  I am a 49 year old fat guy with an autoimmune disease...I will take care of me.  Get the kids back to life.  I have to side with the American Academy of Pediatrics on this one, kids need to be in school.  We can do football in Indiana as long as people don't panic when the "cases" come, because they will.  Big College programs are managing the "cases" just fine.  

The real question is the FANS right?....how is attendance going to work, and how do we protect those at risk?  This is the key question IMHO at every level Pro, College and HS.  What protocols will be put into place?  At the end of the day the NFL and College (FBS) will play because the of folks we can call "those willing to take the risk" will attend these events and in fact they will attend them in numbers that will keep profits at "near normal" levels.  Will the attendance of these events cause a spike in "cases"?  Probably to some degree yes.  What will death and ICU rates do?  I don't know but aren't those those really the key statistical factors we should be looking at?  Every news cycle we see, X number of players tested positive in this or that pro or college sport.  Did we really expect not to see that?  Was playing sports at any level really going to be if there were zero "cases"?  That is the impression I get from the media and some folks here on GID.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 8:19 AM, wabashalwaysfights said:

This again?

Can I save us all some time here...

"Blah, blah, blah, why don't you all take this virus as seriously as you should?"

"Blah, blag, blag, where is the proof that this is any worse than any other illness?"

"Blah, blah, blah, science..."

"Blah, blah, blag, but this science..."

Accusations of callousness...

Accusations of cowardice...

(5 pages later)

*rinse and repeat the above*

Topic shutdown...

(24-48 hours later)

"New" thread questioning where things stand now...

See above...

I'd ask if I missed anything, but I think you get the gist...

Over/under on this thread: 3 pages

If Steve Goodman were still alive, I'll bet he could write the perfect Covid19 thread just like he wrote the perfect Country-Western song: 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:30 PM, DannEllenwood said:

This!

Add the increase in HCQ, no brainer. LET’S GO!

He knows. He always knows!

See you 8/14 or 8/15. 

606FD383-8E84-4BC3-A7BE-3A30039CAE21.png

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

If you think I was comparing rape to a viral illness, you are simply mistaken. I was comparing the attitude of those who view infection as inevitable with the General’s attitude toward an inevitable rape. The comparison was to the attitude toward an inevitable, but bad, experience. My bad for being unclear.

• Like 1

Have any schools adjusted their schedules?  Go back earlier (late July/early August)?  Maybe end at Thanksgiving Break?  Longer Winter Break (maybe return beginning 1st Monday of February)?  Cancel some breaks throughout the year (fall, mid winter, spring). Something like this. 

I have not counted the days. Wondering if it can be done and still meet the 180 days. Keeping kids in school. 

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

My fear is the knee jerk reactions that are going to take place when some school "X" with 800-1000 kids has 25 positive "cases" in one week at some point.  There will be nutjobs in that community, no matter where it is, calling for the shutdown of sports, the school or both.  We have to be able to manage a situation like that and it should be technically manageable.  Large factories are getting through it all over the state.....but profits are at stake.  Our kids will be safe.  Those at risk should take extraordinary steps to manage their personal risk.  I am a 49 year old fat guy with an autoimmune disease...I will take care of me.  Get the kids back to life.  I have to side with the American Academy of Pediatrics on this one, kids need to be in school.  We can do football in Indiana as long as people don't panic when the "cases" come, because they will.  Big College programs are managing the "cases" just fine.  

The real question is the FANS right?....how is attendance going to work, and how do we protect those at risk?  This is the key question IMHO at every level Pro, College and HS.  What protocols will be put into place?  At the end of the day the NFL and College (FBS) will play because the of folks we can call "those willing to take the risk" will attend these events and in fact they will attend them in numbers that will keep profits at "near normal" levels.  Will the attendance of these events cause a spike in "cases"?  Probably to some degree yes.  What will death and ICU rates do?  I don't know but aren't those those really the key statistical factors we should be looking at?  Every news cycle we see, X number of players tested positive in this or that pro or college sport.  Did we really expect not to see that?  Was playing sports at any level really going to be if there were zero "cases"?  That is the impression I get from the media and some folks here on GID.

Unfortunately, the response will be “knee-jerk” just as every response has been to literally EVERYTHING these last few months.  It will take only one school to have those “”25” positive cases” and it will begin the cascade and ultimately the avalanche of school shutdowns.  

I think we have societally lost the ability to accept (or understand) the measured risk of everyday life in general.....and that isn’t to say that COVID doesn’t constitute an unacceptable risk....just that societally, we tend not to accept any risk from something new to our experience anymore.  

If, in fact, we do have football with fans in the stands, it’s likely I will be there but I will be damned uncomfortable about it (but my wife will be going regardless so I might as well get sick “with her” rather than “from her”).  All that said, I’m not sure there will be fans in the stands but rather there will be video feeds.  

To be honest, I’d be down with paying the HS for an in-house broadcast to offset ticket and concession sales losses....although I’d prefer a free webcast.  Just as a note, unlike many high schools, Chatard does not have an internal webcast of their games....or traditional radio coverage like Cathedral and Roncalli in Indy.

This might push every HS in the direction of live internet broadcasts....which I would find appealing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Do you think playing high school sports will truly cause this trend to reverse?  Do you have the same concern with attending school?  My guess is that the chance of exposure is far greater with school attendance that it is with fall sports.  Far greater populations, indoors.

image.thumb.png.f5558d355514f4ae329746730b016edb.png

I agree wholeheartedly. But I freely confess I have no ready answer. Not sure there is one. Perhaps the thought is to try to limit the number of cases to the greatest extent possible in the hopes of development of a vaccine or more effective treatment for the vulnerable demographic.

Have an acquaintance that coaches a non ball/non contact sport at a local high school...

Was called late last night by his A.D. stating that they needed to cancel today’s conditioning session because it was found at the last second that one of his athletes had come in contact with someone at work that had Covid-19 and didn’t tell anyone immediately.

Buckle up folks. Going to be a long fall.

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Have an acquaintance that coaches a non ball/non contact sport at a local high school...

Was called late last night by his A.D. stating that they needed to cancel today’s conditioning session because it was found at the last second that one of his athletes had come in contact with someone at work that had Covid-19 and didn’t tell anyone immediately.

Buckle up folks. Going to be a long fall.

No Tiddly Winks season it appears. 

It's been so refreshing to see all of these bar graphs, pie charts, pivot tables, and every other stat possible.  But what do they really mean?  Not a whole lot.  My guess is that the good folks at the IHS double A will go with the trends, and sadly they don't look that good right now.  I want the season to start as much as the next guy, and actually a little more being that my Gipper, Jr. is  a senior.  He already had to give up golf season and prom, I just hope his last year in high school has some semblance of normalcy.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Bobref said:

If you think I was comparing rape to a viral illness, you are simply mistaken. I was comparing the attitude of those who view infection as inevitable with the General’s attitude toward an inevitable rape. The comparison was to the attitude toward an inevitable, but bad, experience. My bad for being unclear.

It was clear.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Have any schools adjusted their schedules?  Go back earlier (late July/early August)?  Maybe end at Thanksgiving Break?  Longer Winter Break (maybe return beginning 1st Monday of February)?  Cancel some breaks throughout the year (fall, mid winter, spring). Something like this. 

I have not counted the days. Wondering if it can be done and still meet the 180 days. Keeping kids in school. 

We read in the newspaper that we are all systems go.  Maybe there was an email.  (ah, yes, at 8:20 am)  Masks are not required, except on busses.  Social distancing when possible.  

If I get sick and die, it may have been because they were scared of losing kids to neighboring school districts....ahem, $$$$$.

Edited by Robert

5 minutes ago, Robert said:

We read in the newspaper that we are all systems go.  Maybe there was an email.  (ah, yes, at 8:20 am)  Masks are not required, except on busses.  Social distancing when possible.  

If I get sick and die, it may have been because they were scared of losing kids to neighboring school districts....ahem, $$$$$.

Stay safe!!!  Tough times we live in.

• Like 1