Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How cold is too cold?

Two weeks ago, it was 28 degrees at the end of the sectional semifinals up here in Lake County.

The temps Friday (Nov. 13) will be freezing ....32  soon after kickoff.

How cold does it have to be before we postpone a Friday night game and move it to Saturday afternoon in the daylight...?

Spring sports have (or used to have) recommendations about what the minimum temperature was/is probably because these are children we're sending out to play games. 

Saturdays in November are almost wide open for prep sports.  How cold does it have to be before we push a Friday night game to Saturday. ?  What's the number?

• Haha 1

Can't see that ever happening. 

Coldest I have experienced, 10-31-14, @Rensselear. 2nd round sectional. Wind chills had to have been in the low teens. Visiting team was very late coming out for 2nd half. We thought they had headed back North early. 

28 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Never. If we move a game because of it being too cold, then football has officially become soft. 

It might be good to keep in mind that these rough, tough, & manly college & pro teams playing in below freezing temps have all sorts of hi-tech, cold weather gear like ponchos, thermal gloves, heated bleachers, etc. at their disposal.  Talk about "soft"!  Few if any high school programs have the proper sideline equipment to cope with these kinds of temps. I t would also be good to keep in mind these are high school kids, not professional athletes who are being well compensated for their efforts.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SL816 said:

Coldest I have experienced, 10-31-14, @Rensselear. 2nd round sectional. Wind chills had to have been in the low teens. Visiting team was very late coming out for 2nd half. We thought they had headed back North early. 

The COLDEST I have ever been in my life was not in a deer stand or duck blind.  It was sitting in the bleachers at a Regional game MD @ Webo back in 1997 or 98.  Game time temp was low 20's with what felt like gale force winds coming string into our faces on Visitor side.  It still gives me chills to think about it.  

47 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Never. If we move a game because of it being too cold, then football has officially become soft. 

Totally agree! That said, I never thought I would see school delays because it was too cold either. 🙄

1 minute ago, SL816 said:

No matter how bad it gets, there will always be that one assistant coach that has shorts on.........🥶

It's always the O-line/D-line coaches. Lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SL816 said:

Oct 31 2014 Purdue Airport recorded game time temp of 33 N wind 10mp Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Game time Fri Nov 12 1976 23 with a NNW wind at 8mph.   Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Can’t believe this is a topic! The climate is milder now than 40-50 years ago!

State championship game 1975, Carmel @ Valpo. Temp was low teens and wind chill was -20. Mark Herrmann, who at that time held just about every state passing record, was essentially neutralized by the weather. Final score..... Valpo 14  Carmel 13.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Can’t believe this is a topic! The climate is milder now than 40-50 years ago!

State championship game 1975, Carmel @ Valpo. Temp was low teens and wind chill was -20. Mark Herrmann, who at that time held just about every state passing record, was essentially neutralized by the weather. Final score..... Valpo 14  Carmel 13.

I had to look that one up.... Purdue Airport records around 32 33 for Fridays the 14th 21st  1975 w light wind...  the ball is a rock at those Temps for sure.... perhaps Herman also walked 2 miles barefoot thru 3 ft of snow to get to the game?  😊

30 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

The COLDEST I have ever been in my life was not in a deer stand or duck blind.  It was sitting in the bleachers at a Regional game MD @ Webo back in 1997 or 98.  Game time temp was low 20's with what felt like gale force winds coming string into our faces on Visitor side.  It still gives me chills to think about it.  

2000 game at Danville was pretty chilly.

This may shock some, coldest I have been in my life week 9, 2012 South Decatur, game time temp 42. Which would have been fine, it was the 30mph winds and monsoon that was the killer. Throw in about a half delay for a broken leg, less than 2minutes to go I’ll the half, then 20 minute halftime for senior night. The rain was relentless the entire night.

20 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

I had to look that one up.... Purdue Airport records around 32 33 for Fridays the 14th 21st  1975 w light wind...  the ball is a rock at those Temps for sure.... perhaps Herman also walked 2 miles barefoot thru 3 ft of snow to get to the game?  😊

https://thetimes24-7.com/Content/Sports/Local-Sports/Article/Carmel-s-1st-game-with-Valpo-was-for-a-cold-state-championship/2/2/20074

Ask Dick Dullaghan. He’ll back up every word!

Just now, Staxawax said:

And what does Purdue Airport have to do with weather coming off Lake Michigan?

2 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

https://thetimes24-7.com/Content/Sports/Local-Sports/Article/Carmel-s-1st-game-with-Valpo-was-for-a-cold-state-championship/2/2/20074

Found it.... yep... purdue had 23 at game time w light wind.... an yes! ... It can drop alot up der an b very windy off the lake.... that game has to b the record!!!

9 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Yeah, wind gusts that night were in the 30-40 mph range. I remember one long Bomber run where I'm "running" into the wind and could barely breathe. Just miserable. 

Had similar conditions a week ago Sunday, then last Sunday we were in short sleeves. Gotta love fall in Indiana........

There's no such thing as "too cold" for this old fan!  I have the clothing to keep me warm.  I have hot socks, hoodies and a hot seat, a cushion that keeps your behind almost sweaty.  I have played in 35 degree weather and I don't think the cold is that much uncomfortable for the players.  I remember a team a few years ago that had propane heaters in the bench area to keep they warm when not playing.

We need to dress warmly and enjoy the games while we can!

6 minutes ago, SL816 said:

Yeah, wind gusts that night were in the 30-40 mph range. I remember one long Bomber run where I'm "running" into the wind and could barely breathe. Just miserable. 

Had similar conditions a week ago Sunday, then last Sunday we were in short sleeves. Gotta love fall in Indiana........

It's predicted that it will be 60 degrees next Friday in Indy!  The old saying is "if you don't like the weather in Indy, just wait 10 minutes."

For this crew...  Gibson Southern at Brebeuf...  2013

Started with a lot of fans being "macho", Cathart jackets all around...  2nd half, everyone up in the glass enclosed end zone building....only players, coaches, officials and chain gang left on the playing surface.

It was ungodly cold, windy rainy, then snowing sideways.  Took GS completely out of their game.  

O still shudder now, just thinking of it. 

27 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Found Chicago weather for Nov 14 1975... was 33 at 7p and the bottom fell out at 8p to Zero... w wind at 8mph w gusts higher.... so a front going thru chi town at that time.....Valpo Carmel has to b the record cold game....

• Kill me now 1

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

There's no such thing as "too cold" for this old fan!  I have the clothing to keep me warm.  I have hot socks, hoodies and a hot seat, a cushion that keeps your behind almost sweaty.  I have played in 35 degree weather and I don't think the cold is that much uncomfortable for the players.  I remember a team a few years ago that had propane heaters in the bench area to keep they warm when not playing.

But PH, what about 25 degrees?  What about 15 degrees?  What about 5 degrees?

We can never postpone a game from Friday night to Saturday afternoon because of cold? Because its football?

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Its never too cold for the moms.      Check out Nov. 1, 2019 at Lake Central...Kickoff 39 degrees....maybe 29 at the end

Cold Moms - 2 (11-1-19) 3.jpg

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

But PH, what about 25 degrees?  What about 15 degrees?  What about 5 degrees?

We can never postpone a game from Friday night to Saturday afternoon because of cold? Because its football?

There’s no guarantee that the next afternoon would be any better.

I would invite you to go into YouTube history and watch the ice bowl NFL championship game of ‘67 I believe. Daytime, below zero actual temp.

I also remember a playoff game in Cincinnati about 15 years ago with similar temps.... also a day game.

It’s football.