Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A/5A schools without turf

2 hours ago, JustRules said:

No matter which direction they do it an official will be looking into the sun as it sets. It's usually the H on the visitor sideline. At least if it's east-west the R and U share the sun every other possession.

I worry more about the effect of the sun on punts and passes.

13 hours ago, Bobref said:

I worry more about the effect of the sun on punts and passes.

As if high schools having artificial turfs fields wasn't extravagant enough I guess they all need to be in domes as well.  That should solve that pesky sun problem once and for all.

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

As if high schools having artificial turfs fields wasn't extravagant enough I guess they all need to be in domes as well.  That should solve that pesky sun problem once and for all.

Somebody woke up even grouchier than usual. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

It will only be a matter of time.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:21 AM, Muda69 said:

I agree! 

On 3/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, DE said:

Well, for now it is the only one in the US.  Quick read said it was constructed in 91.

Unreal and not needed, but at least the taxpayers got a "vote" in the matter.

I think it's very needed. Looks awesome. Not really news though, I have seen that place multiple times in searches and articles. 

Edited by btownqbcoach1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:58 PM, crimsonace1 said:

They have a turf field, they just don't play games on it. 

On 3/3/2022 at 1:15 PM, Indiana Fan said:

I am aware

For sure a different category then the rest. Cathedral, Ev Memorial, Ev Mater Dei, SB Wash, Ritter, Boone Grove, Scecina, Cov Christian, FW Snider. Those are the schools I have as not having their own field. 

27 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I agree! 

I think it's very needed. Looks awesome. Not really news though, I have seen that place multiple times in searches and articles. 

You think a dome for HS fb is needed?

If the taxpayers want it and want to fund 100% of it, go right ahead.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I just don't care what other schools are doing or what a school did in 1991. This thread is obviously not about domed HS football fields. 

Awesome.  Then why comment?  

44 minutes ago, DE said:

Awesome.  Then why comment?  

Lol why does anyone comment? Weird question. Again.. just a topic about turf. 

I'm not talking about what tax my dollars buy me and try to pretend like the spending done by schools, on their own students, is any sort of societal problem. It's laughable. 

These conversations have to get old for some of you, don't they? 

Michigan City has had turf since 2009 at a price tag of $720,000 and had it replaced over the summer however Michigan City High School and Ames Field are located in two completely separate parts of the city about 4 miles apart because it used to serve both Elston and Rogers before the two slchools consolidated and Ames Field was demolished and reconstructed at the cost if $6,000,000 in 1995.  The is even an elevator that goes up to the press box.

Next season we are going to have a brand new score board with a video screen and new LED lighting.

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Michigan City has had turf since 2009 at a price tag of $720,000 and had it replaced over the summer however Michigan City High School and Ames Field are located in two completely separate parts of the city about 4 miles apart because it used to serve both Elston and Rogers before the two slchools consolidated and Ames Field was demolished and reconstructed at the cost if $6,000,000 in 1995.  The is even an elevator that goes up to the press box.

Next season we are going to have a brand new score board with a video screen and new LED lighting.

Sorry. I can't add a "like" to this. No clue why. 

1 hour ago, DE said:

You think a dome for HS fb is needed?

If the taxpayers want it and want to fund 100% of it, go right ahead.

The answer is no.  But, having read the wiki article, it is used for much more than football.  Basketball, volleyball, non-school events such as car shows.

34 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Lol why does anyone comment? Weird question. Again.. just a topic about turf. 

I'm not talking about what tax my dollars buy me and try to pretend like the spending done by schools, on their own students, is any sort of societal problem. It's laughable. 

These conversations have to get old for some of you, don't they? 

Not at all. 

Weird question?  You are the dude commenting yet saying you don't care.  Which is it?

1 minute ago, DE said:

Not at all. 

Weird question?  You are the dude commenting yet saying you don't care.  Which is it?

They don't get old? Ever? 

Eeeesh. Not for me. ✌

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

They have a field right beside the school. Don't they use it?

They play their home games at Reitz. I believe they and Ev Mem both have turf practice fields. 

1 minute ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

They don't get old? Ever? 

Eeeesh. Not for me. ✌

They play their home games at Reitz. I believe they and Ev Mem both have turf practice fields. 

No.  See ya.

49 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

They play their home games at Reitz.

Not according to their schedule. chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmaterdeiwildcats.com%2Ffiles%2F2021%2F08%2F2021_varsity_football_schedule.pdf&clen=123355&chunk=true

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Memorial plays home varsity games at Enlow Field (on the campus of Bosse HS) and Mater Dei plays home varsity games at Reitz Bowl.

Both teams play sub-varsity (7, 8, Freshman, JV) games on the turf practice fields on their respective campuses.

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

The answer is no.  But, having read the wiki article, it is used for much more than football.  Basketball, volleyball, non-school events such as car shows.

But that doesn't get the old "stay-off-my-lawn" types as worked up as football does.  Therefore it will be called a football field!!  Harumph!!